Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I bought this 2012 manual cruze eco in Dec 2012. I got a bad battery in July 2015. At first I did not know what the problem was and posted a thread to ask around. (http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-1-4l-turbo/129882-2012-eco-manual-battery-dead-help-taking-out-battery.html) I took the battery to Autozone and let it tested. The guy at Autozone tested and told me that the battery did not take any recharge. I went to SAMs to buy a new battery (~$120). My battery only lasted ~ 2.5 years. Is a new car battery supposed to last at least 5 years? I remember that the battery in my previous Honda Civic lasted 7 years.

Oh, before my battery died, I listened to the car radio with my car key out of the slot. Is that the reason my car battery was dead?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
I've gone well over 10 years on more than one old-style Delco batteries.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I had a 03 Ford F-150 that had the original battery in it when I traded it in this time last year, I thought I would replace it the previous winter but it started the truck outside when -18 outside so I was like well it still works. Who knows why one lasts over 10 years and another is bad in two or three years.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,575 Posts
I got around a year out of both of my ACD batteries. The Duralast Platinum is going on a year and still holding a charge just fine.

My car sits around a lot during the week as I don't use it to go to work.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
I've gone well over 10 years on more than one old-style Delco batteries.
Never got close to that with the Delco side-mount terminals. They started to leak after awhile. Gave up and went Interstate. Much better.

·
Registered
379 Posts
That's entirely dependent on use and region.

Hotter climates have shorter battery lives.

My batteries usually last a couple months longer than the free replacement period. My PT Cruiser, with a substandard out of date group 26 battery nestled in all that turbo-plumbing usually lasted about 1.5 years.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I've had OEM batteries last anywhere from 3 years to well over 5 years. I now buy relatively inexpensive batteries with 70 month warranties and they usually go bad shortly before the warranty expires. I've been buying them at a local Batteries Unlimited shop and paid $88 (675 CCA) installed for the last one about three years ago for the P5. The previous one was the second one in this car and lasted almost 5 years to the month before it developed a bad cell.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Audi OEM (AGM) battery in my last vehicle was still solid after ten years in a daily driver. It probably helped that it was located in the trunk, which would moderate temperature extremes compared to the usual engine bay location. On the flip side, I had a basic lead acid battery last less than a year in a beater vehicle because I let it fully discharge a few times from a parasitic drain (should have used a tender and / or disconnected it). At any rate, keep your receipt if you're concerned about the new battery dying in the warranty period based on previous experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What used to be AC Delco should be now AC dont go. My 2013 Cruze 18000 miles 2 yrs old batt. craped out. Left me stranded. BTW garage queen I know its hot here in South Fl. My wife's 2014 crapped out at 3 yrs old 25000 miles. Where is the latest import for GM batt.? What they put into their new cars is crap.
BTW I took my reciept to the local dealer asked was it covered, nope you did not purchase a ac delco batt.

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
My OEM Cruze battery lasted over 5+ years w/o any charge or anything never gave me a problem but when it died it died.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Bought my Cruze in August of '13 and 2 weeks ago the original battery still showed good static (key on but not run recently) voltage on the DIC. It would seem sitting kills them, even if they don't obviously discharge over that time. Though I take measures to minimize electrical load on startup and right before shut-down, and always override the auto headlights during the day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts