Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how low do you let the fuel gauge go before you fill up? I'm down to a line before E and still showing 122 miles to empty. I'm going to fill up now, but was wondering if anyone lets it get down any farther? So far I have gone 611 miles on this tank.

·
Registered
302 Posts
As for actual range I'm not sure, but usually I fill up when it is just above the red zone. About one or two ticks before it actually reaches the red zone. I try to always fill up before the low fuel light comes on. I'm not sure if it is something to actually be concerned with or more so a myth, but apparently running too low can shorten the life of the fuel pump because it uses the fuel to keep itself cool. I actually started a thread on this a while ago. This is the other thread that I had started on it. Basically the consensus at the end seemed to me, don't purposely run it really low. http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-chevy-cruze-diesel-technical-discussion/82969-how-low-too-low-run-fuel.html

·
Registered
116 Posts
On average, I refill my 2014 Cruze LS (1.8L gasoline engine) after every 400 miles. In really cold weather it might be after 375 miles. The longest distance between refuelings has been 425 miles at the beginning of April.

I agree with Beelzebubba--don't let it get too low or the pump might overheat.

- Joe

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
One of the things I like about my diesel is the extended range. I take full advantage of it too by adding 1 gallon after the nozzle clicks off and running it well below the low fuel light. I have heard the stories about fuel pumps overheating from low fuel but they are all anecdotal and I don't know if I buy it. I very often drive until there is no more miles countdown. It starts saying LOW. And even then I might go 15-20 more miles.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
This is another huge factor in how far one can get for range.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've seen the LOW warning a few times now. With that being said, if I have to, I'll go as long as I can (in the summer months anyway).

·
Administrator
25,035 Posts
I routinely take my ECO MT down to less than 100 miles to empty. I don't care for the extra stress on the driver when the tank says "low", but don't have a problem with double-digit range remaining.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Never below a 1/4 tank for me...

·
Registered
379 Posts
One of the things I like about my diesel is the extended range. I take full advantage of it too by adding 1 gallon after the nozzle clicks off and running it well below the low fuel light. I have heard the stories about fuel pumps overheating from low fuel but they are all anecdotal and I don't know if I buy it. I very often drive until there is no more miles countdown. It starts saying LOW. And even then I might go 15-20 more miles.
:laugh:

Brave stuff for a diesel.

Do not try this with a VW TDi....that HPFP is pricey.

Plus, if you run out of diesel, well, there you are. You cannot just pour in more diesel and go.

·
Administrator
15,611 Posts
I fear overheating the pump. Refill at about 1/4 tank. Usually around 375 miles or about 40 mpg
The pump is cooled internally by the fuel running through it, not externally by the fuel surrounding the casing. This is hasn't been a concern for over a decade.

·
Registered
574 Posts
When I switched to 93 I let it go a few miles past the fill up warning. Other then that I refill weekly, usually about half a tank.

·
Administrator
25,035 Posts
When I switched to 93 I let it go a few miles past the fill up warning. Other then that I refill weekly, usually about half a tank.
Hopefully you're not putting 93 octane into a CTD. :)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I'm going to start waiting until the low light comes on to see how far I'm getting to a tank

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes you can. Our diesels don't need to be primed like lesser quality or older engines :)
Page 9-61 of the owners manual said:
Running Out of Fuel (Diesel)
Running out of diesel fuel requires priming after fuel is added. With engine switched off, turn ignition key to ON, wait approximately 15 seconds, and turn key to LOCK to perform priming operation. Perform this operation three times or more while the engine is switched off, to avoid air entering the fuel line.
I will usually run until I'm under 100 miles and will be passing one of the two stations on my commute that has reasonably priced diesel. Sometimes that's at 80 miles, sometimes it's under the low light.

Judging by how much fuel I put in, and my MPG, I think there is another gallon to gallon and a half in the tank after the DTE hits 0. I've not tested this, but I know I've gotten my DTE to under 10 miles before, and still only put 14.5 in the tank.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts