Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I usually try to get every mile out of a tank and usually fill up well after the "low range" warning replaces the distance to empty mileage. I typically will put in 16-17.5 gallons in my CTD.
I haven't driven my car much in the last year, the wife has been, and she usually puts in 10 gallons when it gets to ¼ tank.

-Brad

·
Registered
310 Posts
I try to fill between 1/4 and 1/8, but before the light comes on. Usually between 11-12.5 gallons.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,566 Posts
Usually fill all of our vehicles up around half tank.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't go down too close to empty in hot weather. The fuel injection system sends warm gas back to the tank from the fuel rail. In the summer, with very little gas in the tank, the gas can get real warm and this, I am told, can shorten the life of the fuel pump in the tank. Not a problem if your vehicle has direct fuel injection, as these systems do not send warm gas back to the tank, but I don't think any gas Cruze engines have direct injection.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
9.5-12. Generally around or slightly below 1/4 tank. I sometimes go 3 weeks to a month on a tank of gas because I don't drive much.
Yes I read out of the 15.6 or 15.9 Gallons in the tank 13.2 are useable although you can always push your luck in an emergency. I believe the Miles to Empty feature use the full tank figure which is somewhat misleading. All I know is I too have problems using one full tank per month, just saw $1.99 in Arizona ($4.09 here in the California Desert) , just earned another 50 cents off a fill up and also have a $1 off a Gallon (limit 25 gallons for this month). I plan on filling up after Thanksgiving and the posted prices are dropping daily. I will probably pay about 90 cents a gallon this month. Strange times are ahead for motorists!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,784 Posts
Yes I read out of the 15.6 or 15.9 Gallons in the tank 13.2 are useable although you can always push your luck in an emergency. I believe the Miles to Empty feature use the full tank figure which is somewhat misleading. All I know is I too have problems using one full tank per month, just saw $1.99 in Arizona ($4.09 here in the California Desert) , just earned another 50 cents off a fill up and also have a $1 off a Gallon (limit 25 gallons for this month). I plan on filling up after Thanksgiving and the posted prices are dropping daily. I will probably pay about 90 cents a gallon this month. Strange times are ahead for motorists!
My largest fill ever was 13.4 gallons, light had been on for some time. Car said I had 45 miles left, which was probably pessimistic.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Between 12.8 to 13.0 gallons.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I am that nervy guy that tries hard to avoid gas stations without completely running out, but I stop for gas once every four or five days of work and typically around 14 gallons US. I am able to monitor the fuel level on Torque Pro and as soon as it reads 3.9% I start looking for a station.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
I am that nervy guy that tries hard to avoid gas stations without completely running out, but I stop for gas once every four or five days of work and typically around 14 gallons US. I am able to monitor the fuel level on Torque Pro and as soon as it reads 3.9% I start looking for a station.
Yes but the CRUZE is not designed to put 14 gallons in? I guess you could live life dangerously and use the fuel designed to cool your Fuel pump on a regular basis, however that takes some nerve that Torque Pro probably doesn't know or care about?

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Yes but the CRUZE is not designed to put 14 gallons in?
Low fuel warning comes on in my cruze right at 13.1gallons burned, so 14 gallons is like driving 25-40 more miles to find a station. At that point there is still 1.6 gallons of gas to keep the fuel pump cool so it shouldn't be an issue. I think GM has such a large reserve capacity(2.5 gallons) so people who don't fill until last minute don't damage the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Low fuel warning comes on in my cruze right at 13.1gallons burned, so 14 gallons is like driving 25-40 more miles to find a station. At that point there is still 1.6 gallons of gas to keep the fuel pump cool so it shouldn't be an issue. I think GM has such a large reserve capacity(2.5 gallons) so people who don't fill until last minute don't damage the fuel pump.
I didn't come up with the figures about 2.6 Gallons reserve for the fuel pump, its in the manual. In fact this was brought up during my test drive. Sure you can wait to 14 gallons but you can also fry the pump at this lower level. Why ask for problems?

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Sure you can wait to 14 gallons but you can also fry the pump at this lower level. Why ask for problems?
I completely agree why risk it? I have only ever seen the low fuel warning 3 times in 85,000 miles. However you are not going to damage your fuel pump when there is still so much gas in the tank or all the people who do take it that low all the time would be having issues.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.