Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Over 125K

Votes: 2 6.9%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who have had the PCV check valve fail on their Cruze, I am curious how many miles you had when it failed. I think it would be interesting to get a sense of the mean time to failure on these so that everyone can can consider when they may want to start thinking about changing the intake manifold, or installing XtremeRevolution's PCV fix. Please vote on the poll and put time and approximate mileage below.

Edit: Would also be good to know if you did any engine mods, such as a tune or air intake, etc.

·
2,170 Posts
I'm at 38,000 miles, no failure yet. If I'm not mistaken, our 2014 models have a different PCV design than the earlier models.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Thanks for starting this poll. I am at 55,000 and still on the original valve cover and intake manifold knock on wood hand hitting head.:) But I am curious as to the miles at failure. I would also like to know the mods too like a tune or kandn air intake or drop in filter or manual or automatic but that is just me and my curiosity. I haven't done any engine mods like a tune or air intake only amsoil fluids anywhere I can put them except for the coolant. I lost a fill of amsoil coolant due to water pump failure so I am currently running dexcool oem gm fill with amsoil coolant boost but I have amsoil everywhere else including brake fluid. I have a 2011 1LT bought brand new.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm at 38,000 miles, no failure yet. If I'm not mistaken, our 2014 models have a different PCV design than the earlier models.
I think it was just a update of the diaphragm in the valve cover, but the check valve in the intake manifold was not redesigned and will fail at some point requiring a replacement of the intake manifold (or updating to XtremeRevolution's PCV fix)

·
Registered
280 Posts
The change in the diaphragm began in the late 2012 to 2013 models. I have a '13 LTZ/RS, has a little over 70k, and never had to have anything major done to it yet, just lucky I guess. Been keeping my eye on the water pump and the PCV issue. I have replaced the cam seals, due to them leaking a little, battery, and oil feed line to turbo, but that was just because I wanted to, was no issues with the one I took off. Will be changing coolant this fall. Other than that, I've always used synthetic oil and change every 5k miles, and drained and filled the tranny fluid a couple of times. Been a very good car so far. Even with the known water pump issues, and pcv issues, this is still very minor stuff IMO.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
40ish. Then again 7000 miles later because the check valve was missing.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Mine went at right about 62k but was covered under power train warranty. Apparently other have been told it's not covered. Glad I read into it on here that it was. Big thanks to Cruzetalk for saving me some cash in the off chance the Chevy dealer tried to screw me.

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
60,000 miles roughly is when mine failed.

I'm not gambling on my replacement manifold. I had a spare bad one and installed my fix on it. I have about 900 miles on it now.

Tune and intake on the car.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
My Cruze had it done at 71K, and then again at 100,000, approximately, because the intake manifold wasn't replaced the first time. The check valve was gone in the intake manifold. When I had it fail I went on a mission to make sure I got the intake manifold replaced.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine failed around 72,000

Repaired by dealer at no cost to me

Front main seal also failed as well as crack in throttle body, all around the same time. Happened this winter all in very cold weather.

Also covered at dealer expense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did a boost leak check on my car just a bit ago and found that my pcv valve is slightly leaking already. Good thing I've already got Titan's PCV fix kit ready to install. Only 4K miles on the car btw...

·
Registered
56 Posts
2014 lt.. stock. purchased used with 29k miles, just now getting into fixing this with 46k on the clock.

the bad disk on the valve cover led me to xtreme's threads on the pcv system and intake issue. my intake is missing the check valve so i'll probably be installing his fix.

·
2,254 Posts
2012 LT, 47k and I think I still have the original one, not sure if the first owner had one go out.

I do have a slight surging idle every time it begins to warm up, but it goes away at normal operating temps. No CEL's yet, so it must be normal.

I have 15 days on my powertrain so hopefully (or not!!) something catastrophic happens before then.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
I do have a slight surging idle every time it begins to warm up, but it goes away at normal operating temps. No CEL's yet, so it must be normal.
My 2012 did this as long as I can remember when around 1/4 on the temp gauge. The new one does it when cold. I think it's something to do with valve timing/emulating EGR at that point in the engine management software.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts