Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've been thinking for a while now, how many licensed motor vehicles have I driven over public roadways. Here's my list of the 89 that I can remember by model year:

1966 Dodge Polara - buddy's car
1966 Chevy II - test drive
1967 Chevelle - test drive
1974 Pontiac Catalina - service loaner
1978 LeMans - father's car
1979 Camaro Berlinetta - buddy's car
1979 Chevette - brother's car
1979 Impala - uncle's car
1980 Buick Skylark - girlfriend's father's
1981 Chevette - car I serviced
1981 Malibu - driver's ed car
1981 Cutlas - driver's ed car
1982 Regal - service loaner
1984 6000 STE - my first car
1985 Chevette - buddy's car
1985.5 Ford EXP - test drive
1986 Caprice - test drive
1986 Ikarus 60 foot articulated city bus - charity roadeo test drive
1987 Coupe de Ville - test drive
1988 Caprice Classic Brougham - test drive
1988 Caprice 9C1 - my first new car
1989 Caprice Classic Brougham LS - father's car
1989 Celebrity - taxi
1991 Grand Prix - rental
1991 Accord - neighbor's car
1992 Camaro - car I serviced
1992 Pathfinder - neighbor's car
1993 K Blazer - test drive
1996 Saturn SW2 - test drive
1996 Impala SS - my car
1999 Grand Am - rental
1999 Tahoe 4WD - test drive
1999 Tahoe POC - my car
2000 Cadillac DHS - test drive
2001 Cadillac Catera - test drive
2001 Deville - father's car
2001 Cavalier - service loaner
2001 Intrigue - taxi
2002 Audi A8L - neighbor's car
2003 CTS - test drive
2004 Escalade - test drive
2005 Acura RL - test drive
2005 Odyssey - neighbour's car
2005 STS - test drive
2005 SAAB 9-7x - test drive
2006 SAAB 9-7x - test drive
2007 Sky - test drive
2007 Grand Am - service loaner
2007 SRX - test drive
2008 Audi Q7 - test drive
2008 M-B C300 - test drive
2008 E320 Bluetec - test drive
2008 R320 CDI - test drive
2008 STS - test drive
2008 DTS Lux III - test drive
2008 DTS Performance - test drive
2008 DTS Lux III - test drive
2008 DTS Lux III - my car
2008 Prius - friend's car
2008 Tahoe 4WD - test drive
2009 Genessis V8 - test drive
2009 Tahoe 4WD - test drive
2009 Tahoe Hybrid AWD - test drive
2010 Lucerne - test drive
2010 Genessis V6 - test drive
2010 Escalade - test drive
2011 Cruze - test drive
2011 Impala - test drive
2011 SRX - test drive
2011 Tahoe RWD - test drive
2011 Honda Pilot - test drive
2011 Tahoe Hybrid AWD - test drive
2011 Enclave AWD - test drive
2011 Equus - test drive
2011 Enclave FWD - test drive
2012 Impala LTZ - test drive
2012 Volt - test drive
2012 Volt - test drive
2012 Traverse FWD - test drive
2012 Traverse 4WD - test drive
2012 Acadia AWD - test drive
2012 Yukon AWD - test drive
2012 Impala LS - test drive
2013 ATS - test drive
2013 Cruze - test drive
2013 XTS - father's car
2013 Regal GS - test drive
2014 Cruze Diesel - test drive
2014 Cruze Diesel - my car

So, now it's over to you. Think back and let us know how many licensed motor vehicles you've driven over public roadways?

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
I worked at a Dealer only automobile auction when I was in college 35 years ago. I might have driven 20 or 30 or more different ones every day on auction day each week. Not counting those I've driven getting them to the auction or from the auction the dealers paid us cash to deliver. Plus those I've owned or driven before or since.

The most interesting in my 53 years on earth....a Lamborghini Countach, Ferrari 308, A REAL 1968 Fiat 500 (loved it and hated it to death at the same time), A 1944 Ford Tractor Trailer, 1934 Oldsmobile, 404 Unimog, 1970 Triumph GT6+....and others.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think several of us have marshalled many, many vehicles on lots. Much more than we will ever remember. That's why I'm suggesting to keep the list to vehicles that we've driven over public roads.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Those mentioned specifically....I did, and several of those were among the long list I've owned, in fact I drove almost as many to and from the dealers lots before and after the auctions as we did ON the auction lot (some guys did it all week long, I just did it 3 days). Most dealers didn't have car carriers or enough people on staff to do it so they paid us. Some of them were not roadworthy by my opinion.

Heck..I've even driven a Alfa Romeo 75 around 1990 that belonged to the Italian Carbinierri while it was still in active service, and on duty(no I wasn't supposed to nor should I have been allowed to, but I had a lot of friends in them) Even street raced against that same one against my Triumph from one town to the next through town after midnight once, I was faster, but they won because they had bigger balls than I had.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
This is the only 1 I care about at this point in time so here View attachment 145257 I would rather forget the other 29 !

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Tomko. You're a car salesmans nightmare. Most of your list is strokes. Lol

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Heck..I've even driven a Alfa Romeo 75 around 1990 that belonged to the Italian Carbinierri while it was still in active service, and on duty(no I wasn't supposed to nor should I have been allowed to, but I had a lot of friends in them) Even street raced against that same one against my Triumph from one town to the next through town after midnight once, I was faster, but they won because they had bigger balls than I had.
Was it a 3litre or 2.5litre V6? There was also in Europe an I4 twin spark. I have a 1988 Milano Verde ( 3litre 75). Besides the Alfa being one of the most unique cars I have owned/driven, I would say the 1984 Porsche 944 with sport suspension (also a rear transaxle car) was probably the best handing I have owned/driven. I did drive a Lotus Europa (Renault engine version) - a friends car, great handling car. Never drove one, but sat in a Lambo Countach. Oh yeah, did get a ride in a Fiat Dino - brother of a friends' car.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Can't answer that one. Too many rental cars over a 41 year career, plus the ones I've owned. Two that stick in my mind.
1. A rental Ford that had the horn button on the end of the turn signal stalk (Ford has a better idea period). Every turn and lane change was an embarrassment.
2. 427 street legal Cobra. Didn't drive it long as my left leg cramped up from a clutch that only the Hulk could operate.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tomko. You're a car salesmans nightmare. Most of your list is strokes. Lol
Well it's an honest, detailed and full disclosure of what I've driven. I'm not sure how many others will tabulate an equally comprehensive list. But you're right, it does add up to 52 test drives.

Given that I've been driving for 34 years and that those test drives were always with someone else (father, brother, wife, buddy) and as the one in my social circle who is the go-to guy on car things, it's really not that many.

So I count 11 car purchases from those test drives. That's less than five tries to one buy ratio. Not sure if that qualifies me as a full-patch stroke or not?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Can't answer that one. Too many rental cars over a 41 year career, plus the ones I've owned. Two that stick in my mind.
1. A rental Ford that had the horn button on the end of the turn signal stalk (Ford has a better idea period). Every turn and lane change was an embarrassment.
I think Triumph did that first in the '70s when Ford still had the "Rim-Blow" horn (I wish I was kidding about that name)

My mom had an old Cougar that had the "Rim-Blow". Certain parts of the wheel wouldn't work at all. Others would work if you touched them lightly. Like you would just driving.
It also had the "mandatory seatbelt" buzzer and light that would continue to buzz even after buckling up. Other than that, it was a cool 2V 351 Cleveland powered car. I liked driving it, I just couldn't afford the gas to drive it the way I liked to drive it.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the original minis had their horn activated by pushing the turn signal stalk in towards the steering column. I seem to remember this on a rental my father had in 1973 Cyprus.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I think Triumph did that first in the '70s when Ford still had the "Rim-Blow" horn (I wish I was kidding about that name)

My mom had an old Cougar that had the "Rim-Blow". Certain parts of the wheel wouldn't work at all. Others would work if you touched them lightly. Like you would just driving.
Was the "Rim-Blow" part of the steering wheel itself, and not a "horn ring"? I've seen that once. I set off the horn by accident feeling the steering wheel cover.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
I have driven a greater number of cars and trucks (real ones as well as pick ups) than that list, but I can't remember them all. I can say that I have driven more Holden cars than most of the people in Cruzetalk. I have owned 10 over the years and driven many more. My favourite was a 1964 EH Holden special that was well modified and saw many V8 cars behind me in timed lap events on various racetracks and then driven to work the next day.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Wtf lol. Why do we keep having so many different lists?!

I've driven a lot of cars.

Most recent thing I test drove was a g8 :)

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Seem to have a lack of fingers to count all of them on.

If attempts to access my brain where these memories are stored, would get lost and may never come back.

Then I would end up in a home.

Ha, don't even ask me how many girlfriends I had. This is forbidden territory.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Was it a 3litre or 2.5litre V6? There was also in Europe an I4 twin spark. I have a 1988 Milano Verde ( 3litre 75). Besides the Alfa being one of the most unique cars I have owned/driven, I would say the 1984 Porsche 944 with sport suspension (also a rear transaxle car) was probably the best handing I have owned/driven. I did drive a Lotus Europa (Renault engine version) - a friends car, great handling car. Never drove one, but sat in a Lambo Countach. Oh yeah, did get a ride in a Fiat Dino - brother of a friends' car.
They didn't use the V-6, for those Service vehicles, too problematic. Been a long time but I seem to remember them being twin-spark. Was only in it that one time and not for long.

Had a chance for a nice Eurospec 944 back in 1989, From the NATO base in La Spezia. Friend bought it out from under me because I waited too long. He totaled it 2 months later. Almost bought a Mazeratti Bi-Turbo back then too, saw a rust spot that indicated a lot of hiddden bodywork, LOVED how it drove, glad I walked away from it. Started noticing a lot of them sitting along the roads over in Italy. And they were dirt cheap on used car lots....found out why later.

Had a lot of "almost got it" ones....but I'll save those for the appropriate thread. Had a friend with a Europa.(but the lotus engine) Always priced out of my reach. Knew a guy with a Fiat Dino....really nice car, never got to drive it either.

THe Lambo Countach...all looks and style...sounded good, road and drove like crap (build quality was horrible). I had to test drive one after I fixed it for the owner. Major anti-climax. Same with the Ferrari 308 I fixed and drove...The Cruse Diesel is a better driving and handling car.....just lacks the Ooooo and Awwwww factor the Ferrari has. In fact it was a far better driving car than either. Though the Lambo did have a higher top end, and would drop panties wherever you took it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts