Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. Some of you may remember that I started a thread asking about a cruze being a good first car, (or maybe it was asking about a good price) then I was told I would be getting my fathers camaro (2010 loaded V6). He has since brought the cruze back up. So now I'm curious as to how many mpgs the Cruze gets at 60mph, as that's the majority of my driving. (FYI, the camaro gets 29 on my daily journey and stickers 31 highway, which is achievable just not with my stoplights. Lol.) the model in question is a 2013 1LT Manual with no RS package, tires inflated to manufacturer specs (ill probably bring it up a few psi, but for simplicity's sake, we'll assume manufacturer rating, or state your psi) also, how many rpms is it turning at 60 in 6th gear? And do all 1LT cruzen have the same rubber? Thanks in advance! I appreciate it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I've only seen the 1LT cruze come with 16in Firestone Fr710 tires. I'm at 30,000 on mine but will need new tires in the next few months(before winter). I have a 1LT automatic so my RPMs will be different, I'm at 2,000RPM at 58mph.

60mph MPG has many variables, in warmer months I usually average 36-40mpg with mostly highway. If one uses the AC allot, drive in hills or has tons of stop & go driving that drops into the 30-35mpg range. I would expect the manual LT to do slightly better.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
The manual LT and Automatic LT have the same gear ratios, so the RPMs will be the same. At 60 mph, one could expect roughly 40-45 MPG in ideal conditions (mildly warm, no wind). Per the speed RPM calculator, the car will turn 2044 RPMs at 60 mph assuming the loaded tire radius of 13".

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,466 Posts
Manual runs higher RPM on the highway than the auto. The other gear ratios and final drive are very different as well.

LT MT- 3.818, 2.158, 1.475, 1.067, 0.876, 0.744 Axle: 3.83
LT AT - 4.584, 2.984, 1.912, 1.440, 1.000, 0.746, Axle: 3.53

That said, the manuals tend to (easily) get better MPG from my experience with 2 of them. On level ground at 60 mph, the MT is showing 45 mpg instant. It will manage somewhere around 48-50 MPG at 50-55, 40-45 MPG at 60-65. That usually drops to 36-38 MPG by 70-75. RPM @ 60 is 2200; 80 @ 3000.

Spacedout and NYBill have shown that even the autos can get mid-40s highway MPG though.

In practice, I can't stand how the auto is geared, but it's geared that way to minimize power loss. The gaps between gears are big.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Manual runs higher RPM on the highway than the auto. The other gear ratios and final drive are very different as well.

LT MT- 3.818, 2.158, 1.475, 1.067, 0.876, 0.744 Axle: 3.83
LT AT - 4.584, 2.984, 1.912, 1.440, 1.000, 0.746, Axle: 3.53
Very interesting.. I assumed the ratios were the same for both. Looking at these, the manual gearbox for 6th gear should perform the same as my '11 Auto. The deep 3 gears on the Auto help get it going, and gear 4 is the "passing gear." That isn't needed as much in a manual, obviously :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. So ideal conditions I'm looking at more or less 42-43 mpg and about 2200rpm? Also, how many mpgs does it lose in winter? The camaro loses like 1 mpg on the summer tires but with winter tires it loses 3-4. How much does the A/C affect the mpg on this small engine? I have a dire need for A/C. Mine is basically never off. I hate being hot and I get hot easily. Lol. Even in the winter the A/C is on by way of defrost, but I do try to minimize usage when possible. I will be getting a manual for sure, as I love manuals and don't deal with much traffic, and I feel like with a car with little power to start that it really helps.

·
17,466 Posts
Thanks everyone. So ideal conditions I'm looking at more or less 42-43 mpg and about 2000rpm? How much does the A/C affect the mpg on this small engine? I have a dire need for A/C. Mine is basically never off. I hate being hot and I get hot easily. Lol. Even in the winter the A/C is on by way of defrost, but I do try to minimize usage when possible. I will be getting a manual for sure, as I love manuals and don't deal with much traffic, and I feel like with a car with little power to start that it really helps.

40-42 sounds reasonable; 2200 RPM as I said on the LT manual (2000 is the ECO transmission)

The AC creates a huge drag on the little engine, in-town power and fuel economy is affected. It's much less noticable on the highway, but expect a 2-3 MPG loss with AC.

The Cruze is a MUCH better car to drive when the AC is turned off!

You will need to run at least 89 octane in the summer months, 93 if very hot, or the engine trips all over the knock sensors at low RPMs with the AC running. In fact, drivability improves so much from 87 that I find it advisable to run 89 year-round.

·
17,466 Posts
If doing almost solely highway driving, you may want to look into an Eco model.

Unless you don't like the Eco.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My 2012 ECO MT is turning 2000 RPM at 65 MPH. At 60 MPH I'm turning 1800 RPM.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
40-42 sounds reasonable; 2200 RPM as I said on the LT manual (2000 is the ECO transmission)

The AC creates a huge drag on the little engine, in-town power and fuel economy is affected. It's much less noticable on the highway, but expect a 2-3 MPG loss with AC.

The Cruze is a MUCH better car to drive when the AC is turned off!

You will need to run at least 89 octane in the summer months, 93 if very hot, or the engine trips all over the knock sensors at low RPMs with the AC running. In fact, drivability improves so much from 87 that I find it advisable to run 89 year-round.
Thanks. Fixed it. I do very little "in town" driving so hopefully ill be ok. I was planning on tuning so of course 93. I run 91 in the camaro as over on camaro 5 they say 87 trips the knock sensors on it too. So not a big deal. Especially if I get good mpg :D

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If doing almost solely highway driving, you may want to look into an Eco model.

Unless you don't like the Eco.
It's not that I don't like the Eco, I would actually prefer it (although I do like the ratios in the LT a little better) but its just out of my budget. :(.

·
17,466 Posts
It's not that I don't like the Eco, I would actually prefer it (although I do like the ratios in the LT a little better) but its just out of my budget. :(.

The gear ratios are what sold me on the LT. It's a lot more "fun" ;)

Maybe with your consistent driving, you'll be the first to show us what the LT manual is capable of MPG-wise with a repeatable commute.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The gear ratios are what sold me on the LT. It's a lot more "fun" ;)

Maybe with your consistent driving, you'll be the first to show us what the LT manual is capable of MPG-wise with a repeatable commute.
Lol. Yea. Of course since I'm 16 they won't let me test drive the Eco and LT but my dad drove both with me in it and I could feel the difference (Im very sensitive to the seat of your pants dyno). But yeah if I do end up getting one (still up in the air) ill be very involved here on cruise talk (love car forums). Ill post my mpg numbers for sure. I live in what some would call "the boonies" (AKA country) so the main road i travel on is anywhere between 45-55mph (50-60) with minimal traffic lights and traffic. But I do go into the city a couple of times per week to so ill have those numbers as well. I'm hoping for an average of at least 36 without trying to hypermile too much (I like to go). Is that too much to expect? Maybe I need a dose of reality. Lol.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
17,466 Posts
So this car would be one that benefits from accelerating quicker to get to cruzing speed (pun intended) sooner as apposed to slow acceleration?

Turbo engines waste more gas than a comparable HP non-turbo car when accelerating. This is why city fuel economy is better on say, a Civic or Elantra with a 1.8 NA rather than the Cruze's smaller turbo engine.

The best way to get the best fuel economy with the Cruze is keeping out of boost as much as possible. Fortunately, it has a fairly torquey bottom end for its size, allowing you to shift @ 2200 RPM or below and keep up with most traffic. Driven this way, it will beat the city EPA estimates very easily.

But the nice mid-range power is just way too fun.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Turbo engines waste more gas than a comparable HP non-turbo car when accelerating. This is why city fuel economy is better on say, a Civic or Elantra with a 1.8 NA rather than the Cruze's smaller turbo engine.

The best way to get the best fuel economy with the Cruze is keeping out of boost as much as possible. Fortunately, it has a fairly torquey bottom end for its size, allowing you to shift @ 2200 RPM or below and keep up with most traffic.

But the nice mid-range power is just way too fun.
Ahh I see. Ill probably do some different experiments to see which way gets me the best mileage without becoming an obstruction to traffic, which may be hard though because traffic here accelerates with 40-50% throttle. We shall see. I like to make these things in to a game lol. FYI when I drive my moms equinox (3.0L V6) I get about 21mpg (rated 24 hwy) and like I said the camaro gets 28-29 (rated 31 hwy). (That's in drive, the manual mode doubles as a sport mode if you don't shift manually and it gets 22 mpg that way lol)

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I'm a crappy Automatic and I can get as high as 29 MPG on my commute in the summer. My average speed on the commute is about 26 mph, which is about 80% "city" conditions. When I lived a little further out, I averaged 32 MPG consistently while commuting, with an average speed of about 33 mph (about 60% city). I live in rather cramped metro area with efficent but short highways.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, all I can tell you is with my Eco 2000 rpm comes at 62 mph with an average of 45-47 mpg on level ground.
I realize this is not the specific car you are questioning, but these are my results as well. 2012 Eco, 30k miles and the 45 highway mpg is measured, not DIC.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts