Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

How many hose clamps did you find under-tightened on your Diesel intake?

Votes: 7 14.3%

Votes: 12 24.5%

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • All 5

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • None

Votes: 15 30.6%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
On the intake of the Diesel, there are 5 hose clamps holding together the various pieces between the air filter and the entrance to the turbo. These are the type that use a flat head screw to tighten them around the tube. When I checked mine tonight while changing my air filters, I discovered that 3 of the 5 were under-tightened--two of them so loose I could turn the screws by hand without a screwdriver. As un-metered air entering the intake has been proposed as a contributing factor to the sensor failures that some of us have experienced, this is something we should all probably check, along with visually inspecting for areas that could be drawing air. I would like as many Diesel owners as possible to check their hose clamps and report in the poll above how many were under-tightened. If you had any under-tightened clamps, post the age and mileage of your vehicle below. (2 years, 46,000 miles for me.
Very interesting post. I am guessing that mine are all tight, otherwise I would not have made 141K miles without any sensor issues, but I'll bet you are onto something with this idea. In fact, I'll bet that many of the reported sensor issues we've seen on this forum would not have happened if this wasn't an issue.

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
You know, when I went to the Lordstown meet, I learned that they randomly pull cars off the line to go over them with a fine toothed comb. I always suspected mine was one of those cars, but I will likely never know. This could explain why I never had many issues with my car, such as loose clamps. I will try to remember to check this weekend.

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I finally went down and checked mine, and had 3 that were slightly loose. The tow on the left, and the one on the far right by the turbo. I don't think they were loose enough to let air in, but I was able to get between 1/2 and about 3/4 turn on them to snug them up.

Reactions: Canadian Cruzer

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
So anyway, I tried to go into the poll and update my answers and somehow managed to lose one of the options. Sorry everybody! I ended up removing the option that had zero votes.

Reactions: Aussie

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I have a feeling this post/poll will save more than a few people from check engine lights that would have otherwise happened and potentially turned into nightmares.

Reactions: obermd and Gator

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Is there a thread for 1.4L engine hose clamp tightness? I haven't checked but I will next time I get under the hood.
Not in the diesel section. :)

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Yeah, sorry still newish to the forum, just saw this post it got me curious, I will check anyway, couldn't hurt.
No problem, it never hurts to check, that's for sure! Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: chevrasaki

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
A pretty high percentage of people responding to this survey have found loose hose clamp(s). Interesting miss on the factory QC. Or is it? I wonder if they just work themselves loose over time due to the diesel vibration....

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I rechecked my clamps at 16k miles and all of them were loose, I have tightened them at least 3 times in 12k miles I have owned the car in seven months of ownership. It seems like it is a activity on my car that needs checked every couple months.
That reminds me, I am about due to check mine again. They definitely seem to work themselves loose.

Reactions: IndyDiesel

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
This reminds me, it's time to check mine again. They always work themselves loose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.