Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2014 in for it's seventh service at 45K miles.
The SM said it took two jugs of DEF. They usually put in one one gallon container.
When I got home I checked the PN on the bill and they had charged for two 2 1/2 gallon jugs.
I had only driven 6500 miles since the last service.
The tank only holds 4.9 gal, and the DIC said the DEF fluid was OK when I brought it in.
I called them back and they said they only used part of the second jug and they would put my name on it and keep it for next time.
How much do you normally use?
I suppose it's possible that they had just been adding one gallon at each service and not checking to see if it was full.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
The SM said it took two jugs of DEF. They usually put in one one gallon container.
When I got home I checked the PN on the bill and they had charged for two 2 1/2 gallon jugs.
The tank only holds 4.9 gal, and the DIC said the DEF fluid was OK when I brought it in.
I called them back and they said they only used part of the second jug and they would put my name on it and keep it for next time.
I suppose it's possible that they had just been adding one gallon at each service and not checking to see if it was full.
I had my free service done on my 15 CTD at 5150 miles and it took a little over 2 gallons. It would be possible at 6500 miles to use more than 2.5 gallons.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
I fill mine once a year until it is full. About once every 18,000 miles.

DEF goes bad over time. Especially when exposed to light. So in my opinion your dealer just threw you some BS. If they charged you for a jug they should have returned the partial jug to you.

Reactions: Barefeet

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I put 2 1/2 gallons in mine in November . Not completely full but enough to get through the winter..16 weeks and roughly 12,000 miles later it still says level ok . I think a full tank would last me at least 16,000 miles

·
Registered
302 Posts
Typically I wait until it is below 35% and then just put in a 9.46L (two gallon) jug. I'm not really sure for tracking on how often. The car has 36,000 km's on it and I put a jug in at 8,000 km's and another jug in at 35,000 km's. At 8,000 km's it still said DEF OKAY and the jug filled it right up. At 35,000 km's, it was down to having the warning light on that speed would soon be limited and the jug came nowhere near filling it, it just made it go back to saying DEF OKAY. As far as I know, those are the only two times that my car has had DEF added, if the dealer ever did it, they didn't charge me and didn't tell me.....and in Canada, DEF is not part of the 2 year maintenance plan.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts

[h=1]BlueDEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid - 2.5 gal $ 10. 94[/h]
At Sam's Club, is this the right stuff for you Cruze? Teach me something.

Do know I can pour all kinds of fluids in my vehicles without spilling them all over the place, if I ever do get a diesel, think I could handle that as well

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts

BlueDEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid - 2.5 gal $ 10. 94

At Sam's Club, is this the right stuff for you Cruze? Teach me something.

Do know I can pour all kinds of fluids in my vehicles without spilling them all over the place, if I ever do get a diesel, think I could handle that as well
That would work fine. If you fill the DEF tank it is pretty easy to have some spillage, can't see when it's getting close to full.

·
Registered
281 Posts
(IMHO)
Go back to the dealer and get the rest of the jug "with your name on it" - since you paid for it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When my Cruze starts the countdown for DEF, I throw in one of those 2.5gal containers. I get mine at Home Depot. I don't see the need to fill until completely full as it takes a while to use up and will tell me well ahead of time when it needs additional. No worries about partial containers and spillage that way.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I, too, put in a 2.5 gallon jug at 35%. I've never checked consumption though. Seems like I go a lot of miles before I have to add.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Chalk up another guy who does a 2.5gal container when it hits 35%. It's so infrequent of a thing for me, no need to top it all the way off and have half full containers or spillage.

Good excuse to clean out your trunk too :)

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I still under my 4 free oil changes at Chevy dealer and they add the DEF and just top it off so I won't be buying DEF until around 30k miles or more. Does anyone here buy DEF at truck stop? Assuming the nozzle fits just seems like it might be easier?

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
I've bought my DEF at the truck stop the last two years. I fill up once a year.

I haven't necessarily found it easier to do it at the truck stop. It's noisy and filthy there. But you only fill what you need and it is fresh.

I've also had trouble getting the pump to work because of the magnet on the nozzle.

Reactions: IndyDiesel

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I top off every oil change at 7000 miles. It takes a little over a gallon. I also fill mine at speedway truckstop, its cheaper that way too.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,900 Posts
So what I'm seeing is, the brand doesn't really matter? Ours is getting rather low, if I recall correctly, so I should look into filling it up before we drive down to North Carolina at the end of the month.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that there is only two or three manufacturers of DEF and that whatever you buy is essentially from the same source. There is no premium DEF. it's just the freshest DEF possible is the best. That's the advantage of filling up at the truck stop.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
That would work fine. If you fill the DEF tank it is pretty easy to have some spillage, can't see when it's getting close to full.
Have a soap dispenser on our kitchen sink, have to fill that with soap in that tiny little hole, I use a flashlight, spilling soap all very the top of the sink is a mess to clean up.

Ha, my wife or kids can't do this, make a mess, they never attended pouring school. (common sense)

·
Banned
10,296 Posts

Seems like if you get all those warnings as to DEF remaining, should be able to figure out how much DEF to add.

You can actually drive your diesel at 4 mph when the DEF tank is empty?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts