Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

How much DEF do you add?

Tags
add def yoou
25K views 54 replies 23 participants last post by  MP81 
#1 ·
I took my 2014 in for it's seventh service at 45K miles.
The SM said it took two jugs of DEF. They usually put in one one gallon container.
When I got home I checked the PN on the bill and they had charged for two 2 1/2 gallon jugs.
I had only driven 6500 miles since the last service.
The tank only holds 4.9 gal, and the DIC said the DEF fluid was OK when I brought it in.
I called them back and they said they only used part of the second jug and they would put my name on it and keep it for next time.
How much do you normally use?
I suppose it's possible that they had just been adding one gallon at each service and not checking to see if it was full.

#2 ·
I had my free service done on my 15 CTD at 5150 miles and it took a little over 2 gallons. It would be possible at 6500 miles to use more than 2.5 gallons.

#3 ·
I fill mine once a year until it is full. About once every 18,000 miles.

DEF goes bad over time. Especially when exposed to light. So in my opinion your dealer just threw you some BS. If they charged you for a jug they should have returned the partial jug to you.

Reactions: Barefeet
#6 ·
Typically I wait until it is below 35% and then just put in a 9.46L (two gallon) jug. I'm not really sure for tracking on how often. The car has 36,000 km's on it and I put a jug in at 8,000 km's and another jug in at 35,000 km's. At 8,000 km's it still said DEF OKAY and the jug filled it right up. At 35,000 km's, it was down to having the warning light on that speed would soon be limited and the jug came nowhere near filling it, it just made it go back to saying DEF OKAY. As far as I know, those are the only two times that my car has had DEF added, if the dealer ever did it, they didn't charge me and didn't tell me.....and in Canada, DEF is not part of the 2 year maintenance plan.

#7 ·

[h=1]BlueDEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid - 2.5 gal $ 10. 94[/h]
At Sam's Club, is this the right stuff for you Cruze? Teach me something.

Do know I can pour all kinds of fluids in my vehicles without spilling them all over the place, if I ever do get a diesel, think I could handle that as well

#8 ·

BlueDEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid - 2.5 gal $ 10. 94

At Sam's Club, is this the right stuff for you Cruze? Teach me something.

Do know I can pour all kinds of fluids in my vehicles without spilling them all over the place, if I ever do get a diesel, think I could handle that as well
That would work fine. If you fill the DEF tank it is pretty easy to have some spillage, can't see when it's getting close to full.

#11 ·
I, too, put in a 2.5 gallon jug at 35%. I've never checked consumption though. Seems like I go a lot of miles before I have to add.

#13 ·
I still under my 4 free oil changes at Chevy dealer and they add the DEF and just top it off so I won't be buying DEF until around 30k miles or more. Does anyone here buy DEF at truck stop? Assuming the nozzle fits just seems like it might be easier?

Reactions: KpaxFAQ
#14 ·
I've bought my DEF at the truck stop the last two years. I fill up once a year.

I haven't necessarily found it easier to do it at the truck stop. It's noisy and filthy there. But you only fill what you need and it is fresh.

I've also had trouble getting the pump to work because of the magnet on the nozzle.

Reactions: IndyDiesel
#17 ·
So what I'm seeing is, the brand doesn't really matter? Ours is getting rather low, if I recall correctly, so I should look into filling it up before we drive down to North Carolina at the end of the month.

#27 ·
'

No, the brand doesn't matter. As I understand it, all DEF is created equal.

Seems like if you get all those warnings as to DEF remaining, should be able to figure out how much DEF to add.

You can actually drive your diesel at 4 mph when the DEF tank is empty?
That's supposed to be the case. IIRC, someone the forum a couple years ago did an experiment on running out the DEF but i don't remember what the final results were.

It has a kind of overfill prevention design built into it.

I'm not sure how to describe it, but I've seen the effect before on a vehicle's gasoline tank.
I managed to overfill it the first time I tried to add DEF. It makes quite a mess. I was worried that I would damage the components that make up the DEF tank. The good thing is I never had a problem with it, so it seems like some overflow won't hurt anything.

#18 ·
I remember reading somewhere that there is only two or three manufacturers of DEF and that whatever you buy is essentially from the same source. There is no premium DEF. it's just the freshest DEF possible is the best. That's the advantage of filling up at the truck stop.

#21 ·
Mine will never go empty, warns you way ahead of time, it is not difficult to add.

#23 ·
I'm down to 13%. I just bought some 2.5 gallon jugs of BlueDEF at Napa for $8.98 each. (It was on sale if Feb). I hoping I can get both jugs in, but probably won't all fit. I might run it down under 10%. (Not recommending this by any means). I believe the tank is 4.9 gallons, but I've heard of people putting more in. Definitely don't want to overfill it. My main goal is to hit 30,000 miles and fill it, and then see how far it will go. With the dealer doing the fills, I was never sure how full it was. Sounds like the cheapest way to go is truck stop dispensers.

#24 ·
I don't think you can over fill it. When it's full it just runs out, no different than if you are filling a gas can and you over fill it it just runs out, if it runs out just need to clean it up with some rags or paper towel.

#25 ·
It has a kind of overfill prevention design built into it.

I'm not sure how to describe it, but I've seen the effect before on a vehicle's gasoline tank.

#26 ·
Don't seem to have good luck with others putting fluid in my vehicles. Last time I was in Oregon, started to fill my tank, guy walks out, against the law in Oregon to fill your tank, I have to do it.

Next stop was in Idaho where I could fill the tank myself, my gas cap was missing. This list could be a mile long.

#32 ·
Same here. In fact, last change was on me and they still didn't fill it even with 20% left. I just add a 2.5gal peak jug from Walmart, usually 11$, never had an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.