Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 Chevy Cruze Lt 1.4 and didnt realize the crap pvc design and lost my non return valve about 10-15k miles ago. Now my Valve cover, Intake manifold, pvc return hose, catalytic converter and both up and downstream O2 sensors. Ive bought all the parts already and having a buddy from high school that works for a dealership but has a shop on the side that he has. So Im trying to figure out how much is a fair price to offer on labor for all that work. According to the dealership its about 6.5 hours of labor but I have no idea if thats a fair assessment of labor hours or what to offer without being insulting. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
You can find some helpful videos of the PCV swaps online, I found a couple myself on youtube if you trust yourself, lol.....not too sure the going rate in your area but 4-6 hours is a fair assessment I would say. Ive never had the PCV problem on my 2011 but I've always did my homework on that special coverage item. Hope you get it fixed!

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
1/2 off the dealerships labor rate is a really good place to start.

So if the dealer is at $100/hr, and would charge $650, a fair price to have the same guy who would do it at the dealer anyway would be to offer $325.

Unless someone is my close friend, or has a verifiable sob story that I'm sympathetic to, I'm turning down work requests if someone offers less than half the shops labor rate.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Mods, please move...OP has a 1.4L gasser, misplaced in Gen 1 Diesel forum. Thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
Personally, I would lead with asking if he would be willing to do the work and then how much he thought would be a fair donation for his time. Don't insult him. IMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, that why I was asking. He said he would do the work. I just didn't want to insult him with a price. I'm going to do the mod while we are at it. thanks for the replys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts