Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Just replaced the rotors, bearing, pads on my '03 S-10 for $28 each. Yes they're made in china but around here not many places turn rotors anymore and for $28 it's not reall worth it. I have 125k on her now and the original rotors were so thin and rusted they needed replacement anyway.
Unless my brakes are constantly pulsing or making noise mine will not get replaced on my cruze. I'm happy they have lasted 73K so far, suspect that's partially due to the amount of speed I coast out when coming to a stop. From 60mph I typically can let off a bit earlier than most and loose 12mph or more before I hit the brakes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Come to think of it my handbrake does come way up before it start to set, vs. my brother's Cruze which engages in half the distance - maybe 3 clicks up... ugh. Brake work is one thing I don't trust myself with either, yet I doubt the dealer would adjust them unless they knew it to be an issue.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Come to think of it my handbrake does come way up before it start to set, vs. my brother's Cruze which engages in half the distance - maybe 3 clicks up... ugh. Brake work is one thing I don't trust myself with either, yet I doubt the dealer would adjust them unless they knew it to be an issue.
Hand brake is self adjusting on these things, when you push it down to the home position, a cog on the level is suppose to slide backward to get a new bite. Shop manual solution for this kind of problem is to replace the handbrake assembly.

New one runs about 40 bucks, #8 on the diagram, Ford was doing this, I check first to see if that cog and be freed first. All this nonsense to save adjusting a nut, that maybe had to be done once or twice for the life of the vehicle. Also the cables tend to stretch.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wouldn't turn rotors unless they are "warped" or scored and uneven. Turning rotors unnecessarily removes material and makes the rotors more prone to overheating and "warping", in my opinion.

I did my first brake job at 98k, the rotors still worked smoothly. Slapped some new OEM pads on, lubed the sliders, and I just passed 138k. The brakes still work as smoothly as the day I got the Cruze. I know many will disagree, but once those new pads were bedded, you would not be able to tell the difference in my unturned rotors' braking performance vs. turned rotors.
x2 exactly what I do. no need to turn rotors for new pads unless the rotors have problems.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Micing the rotors to determine how much to shave is practically impossible.

I put em on the machine and slowly adjust till the entire surface is being scraped. And give it a slow cut. Sometimes it worked with one cut..most times you had to take another .001 or .002 on a second cut. I never went in for the slice. Just the minimum needed.

That's the proper way to turn em.

If your pedal doesn't pulsate. Which usually happens at minimum thickness and beyond. Your rotors are good.

Warped rotors cause a pulsating pedal.

According to this forum though. Rotors don't warp.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.