Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old grandson and a sibling due to arrive in just over a week. I currently put the booster seat in the center lap sash belt but with 2 children I will need to use the outside seats. I would like to know if the curtain airbags pose any danger were they to go off in a collision. It is illegal to put children in the front seat in Australia because the front airbag can cause serious injury to small one's.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
A mate of mine used to be a safety engineer at GMH - when my daughter was going from the full-on seat to a booster-seat he told me to get one that had big wings, the bigger the better, as their (i.e. his) studies showed that most of the injuries to children in booster seats were due to their heads being exposed to lateral movements and impacts.

That was before side-impact bags became common, but I think the advice still stands, and it will protect them from the curtain bags as well - don't forget that Australian air-bags do not go off as violently as US air-bags, due to the higher use of seat bets here.

·
10,711 Posts
Our rear seats have airbags in the states, are yours the same? pull the seat belts to the sides and look for the tags that say "airbag" and that will tell you if they are there.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here is some specific information that might help? I'm just glad I don't have kids to deal with in the CRUZE!

Reducing Risks to Children in Vehicles With Passenger Airbags
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/102/1/e3.full.pdf
That was interesting, here is a grab from that that may surprise you.

In Australia, where rates of seat belt use exceed 90%, some depowered airbags, which are also small in volume (eg, the Holden bag), are in use. Early real-world data from Australia suggest that depowered airbags, in conjunction with other design features, inflict fewer and less severe injuries without sacrificing protection in high-speed crashes.

By the way the Australian Cruse has 6 airbags, front both sides, in the front seats backrest sides and the curtain air bags.

·
10,711 Posts
That was interesting, here is a grab from that that may surprise you.

In Australia, where rates of seat belt use exceed 90%, some depowered airbags, which are also small in volume (eg, the Holden bag), are in use. Early real-world data from Australia suggest that depowered airbags, in conjunction with other design features, inflict fewer and less severe injuries without sacrificing protection in high-speed crashes.

By the way the Australian Cruse has 6 airbags, front both sides, in the seat back and the curtain air bags.
Our extras were the back seat and under the dash. I have reason the under the dash ones are due to the design of the glovebox possibly causing "too much damage" to a unbuckled passenger like they pulled before on one of the Cadillacs.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Our extras were the back seat and under the dash. I have reason the under the dash ones are due to the design of the glovebox possibly causing "too much damage" to a unbuckled passenger like they pulled before on one of the Cadillacs.
The knee bags in the first gen. Cruze were an attempt to get it past the small offset crash test. Not completely successful as it scored MARGINAL on occupant restraint and POOR on structure (quite possibly the reason for putting the bags under the dash in the first place). i would bet lunch that the second gen. Cruze will pass the SOCT, especially after the year delay in bringing it out.

·
10,711 Posts
The knee bags in the first gen. Cruze were an attempt to get it past the small offset crash test. Not completely successful as it scored MARGINAL on occupant restraint and POOR on structure (quite possibly the reason for putting the bags under the dash in the first place). i would bet lunch that the second gen. Cruze will pass the SOCT, especially after the year delay in bringing it out.
I wonder if they have a set point the seat should be from the dash to reference these tests from? Some tall people are always knees in the dash on my car and turning off the hvac fan.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I don't know the specs. for the tests that IIHS and NHTSA do. I suspect they at least use a certain percentile of the average occupant. You'd have to query the agencies for the details, if they would divulge them. Could be IP in their minds.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Did search for a photo with no luck for what the interior of the Cruze would look like with all the air bags deployed.

Reading this Reducing Risks to Children in Vehicles With Passenger Airbags article just put a new fear into me with my own grandkids. Son, with three young kids now under 5 years old did a search on this child restrain issue to learn that 50 different states have 50 different sets of laws regarding child restrain.

Just counting on my fingers, family and I were involved with at least seven side impact so-called accidents. Most were minor, stalled in traffic when someone would pull out of a store parking lot and run right into us. Three were more major with people claiming not to see a red traffic light or a stop sign.

With one driving my 1970 Buick Rivera quite a jolt, wouldn't have been injured at all if I was not wearing my seat belt. Held me in place so when my door was cave in, left hip was all black and blue, without the belt would have slid over. Right hip was also black and blue just where the belt was.

With another, driving my 1973 Fleetwood with four kids in the back seat, no seat belt or child restrains in a parking lot with vehicles ahead of us, some guy passed out hitting the right side of our car at about 5 mph, no injuries to my kids. But what would happen if restrained and killed by airbags?

The 4th was a strange day for us, had the kayak on top of the Surpa, but were called from close friends in their 30's that just received a beautiful 3 month old baby girl to be foster parents of. Were given a rather old baby car seat. Asked my friend if they spent three hours with him as how to use it, said no. Belts were not even adjusted properly, but suggested they buy one with a base on it with the clips. Just used a safety belt with no clips to keep it secure.

We went baby shopping, also hooked up my trailer so we could get some additional baby furniture. What a precious little baby, got her to smile when holding her, how can any parent dessert a child like this, but this was confidential information. Learned in my county, 144 such kids, with only 24 foster parents. With a two minute discussion on this issue with my wife, we are a tad too old. Then to be attached to these kids only to have them taken away.

My son with his third child, wouldn't release him from the hospital with some idiot trying to explain how to properly install a child car seat. Was also colder than heck in November and had to be done outside.

We got out our tape measures and checked into many vehicles, while we could fit three kids in the back seat, no way for an adult to get back there. Can't just leave them tied up. An $80K Land Cruiser would be nice with 13 mpg, but paying a buck less a day in income taxes with a new kid, wouldn't quite justify that expense. So a minivan was his only option, not the safest vehicles either. Big box on a compact car chassis.

So much for a bunch of idiots running this country.

·
10,711 Posts
Did search for a photo with no luck for what the interior of the Cruze would look like with all the air bags deployed.

Reading this Reducing Risks to Children in Vehicles With Passenger Airbags article just put a new fear into me with my own grandkids. Son, with three young kids now under 5 years old did a search on this child restrain issue to learn that 50 different states have 50 different sets of laws regarding child restrain.

Just counting on my fingers, family and I were involved with at least seven side impact so-called accidents. Most were minor, stalled in traffic when someone would pull out of a store parking lot and run right into us. Three were more major with people claiming not to see a red traffic light or a stop sign.

With one driving my 1970 Buick Rivera quite a jolt, wouldn't have been injured at all if I was not wearing my seat belt. Held me in place so when my door was cave in, left hip was all black and blue, without the belt would have slid over. Right hip was also black and blue just where the belt was.

With another, driving my 1973 Fleetwood with four kids in the back seat, no seat belt or child restrains in a parking lot with vehicles ahead of us, some guy passed out hitting the right side of our car at about 5 mph, no injuries to my kids. But what would happen if restrained and killed by airbags?

The 4th was a strange day for us, had the kayak on top of the Surpa, but were called from close friends in their 30's that just received a beautiful 3 month old baby girl to be foster parents of. Were given a rather old baby car seat. Asked my friend if they spent three hours with him as how to use it, said no. Belts were not even adjusted properly, but suggested they buy one with a base on it with the clips. Just used a safety belt with no clips to keep it secure.

We went baby shopping, also hooked up my trailer so we could get some additional baby furniture. What a precious little baby, got her to smile when holding her, how can any parent dessert a child like this, but this was confidential information. Learned in my county, 144 such kids, with only 24 foster parents. With a two minute discussion on this issue with my wife, we are a tad too old. Then to be attached to these kids only to have them taken away.

My son with his third child, wouldn't release him from the hospital with some idiot trying to explain how to properly install a child car seat. Was also colder than heck in November and had to be done outside.

We got out our tape measures and checked into many vehicles, while we could fit three kids in the back seat, no way for an adult to get back there. Can't just leave them tied up. An $80K Land Cruiser would be nice with 13 mpg, but paying a buck less a day in income taxes with a new kid, wouldn't quite justify that expense. So a minivan was his only option, not the safest vehicles either. Big box on a compact car chassis.

So much for a bunch of idiots running this country.
Here are a few that I could find.

Euro crash test vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fu-VTUVYOU&hd=1&html5=1

Another offset crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuUnBlbEYeQ&hd=1&html5=1

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are side intrusion bars standard in all US sedans?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
If the side airbags are this way, would be a benefit to keep glass off the kids if they are fast enough. Regardless of what they say about tempered glass, can really get some nasty cuts with this stuff. All in all, have to say these curtain airbags are better than nothing at all.

·
10,711 Posts
I have no experience with the cruze seat side airbag but in a previous accident in my Marauder, the side airbag came out rather late. The bag hit me after I already came in contact with the B pillar when my ex put my side of the car into the guardrail. My window was already down so I can't say much about the squares of glass.
Speaking of side glass, I haven't found a Diesel cruze with laminated side front glass or even acoustic windshields. Was this something that got bean countered at the last minute?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Speaking of side glass, I haven't found a Diesel cruze with laminated side front glass or even acoustic windshields. Was this something that got bean countered at the last minute?
Do the '14 gas Cruzen still have the acoustic windshields?

·
10,711 Posts
Do the '14 gas Cruzen still have the acoustic windshields?
When I found a few 14 diesels on a lot, they all have the exact same regular laminated windshield and safety side windows as eco, the LS and LT's near it.

The Verano is also suppose to have them as well but I haven't seen one up close to take a peek.

Cadillac windows all say this on them (with the exception of the Escalade Platinum and CTS-V in the lordstown plant and I forgot to ask why)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts