Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, where do i begin,

i bought these Eagle eye headlights off ebay and they look great! never seen them, i know im the only one in my city with them, awesome!!! but i have reason to believe they are the reason behind all my problems im having with the car..

i got them roughly 2 and a half months ago, had them installed professionally by an auto body shop here where i live, the lights are not plug and play but still, was able to make them work and they looked great! worked fine for about 2 months then one night leaving the house going to work i noticed i had a bulb out..

really weird being the car isn't even a year old yet, and these are new headlights, i shouldn't have a bulb out but ok cool what ever, **** happens, i changed the light bulb and BAM! im back at it! it wont be till that very night i get back in my car and notice i dont have any interior lights. i just blow it off and pull out the parking lot i try and use a turn signal... it wont work... i think to myself what the hecks going on. a buddy tells me to reverse back into the parking lot... i have not white reverse lights... i just say... something isn't right..

i take the car firstly to the guy who put them in, he spends all day trying to figure it out every single fuse in the car is good! he cant figure it out, he recommend i just take it to my dealer... ok i do that

i take it to my dealer and they firstly tell me since there after market say bye bye to the warranty.. what ever, so he proceeds to try and fix it he also is unable to fix it!

he how ever finds the problem...

that being the BCM which stands for body control module is "fried" of course the first thing he does is blame the aftermarket lights, he says they just weren't programmed to do what they where doing for these lights and it fried my computer and it was throwing 22 different codes.. when he hooked up a diagnostic up to it.

he said in order for me to get this fixed i first need to have the head and tail lights removed and put back to OEM and then he can run more test to figure out the probem and proceed to fix it from there, the cost of this repair..

$500.00

im now asking the cruzetalk family, how screwed am i?

i just cant see how these headlights messed the car up honestly, all the guy at the auto body shop did was hook them up and power everything OEM lights would normally power, on top of all that these head and tail lights come with relays so it pulls a lesser current so how could my head lights have caused this problem? i really love them!! they cost me a lot! i dont wanna take them out i really just want to get them working again, does any one out there have this problem what would you all suggest? how can i make this right please, help. thanks all sooo much!

also i made a youtube video showing my problem check it out!

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Your toast. You should have had the body shop guy put the OEM lights back on and then take it to the dealer. However they would probably figure out it was tampered with anyway. Put the OEM lights on and take it to a different dealership and hope they haven't flagged you. I'm not sure if the dealerships computers talk to one another regarding maintenance.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
You're screwed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You need to put it back to stock in order to determine whether the BCM is "destroyed". Those aftermarket lights have LEDs. LEDs require resistors in order to function correctly in an electrical circuit. Resistors can fail - and they can fail "open", in which case they have infinite resistance and conduct 0 electricity, or they can fail "closed" in which case they conduct all electricity with no resistance (e.g. short circuit).

All it would take is one bad resistor to cause faults in the electronics of the BCM.

It's not necessarily true that the BCM is "destroyed", it's possible that by removing the aftermarket pieces, everything will return to normal - though with the map and overhead light being out, my guess is you may have some damage.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Next time power everything in those headlights, and I mean everything, with separate circuits. It will cost more. It will also be done the right way the first time. Powering HID's or other lights off the stock circuits in a Cruze that depends on the BCM to do so much is unfortunately inviting trouble.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next time power everything in those headlights, and I mean everything, with separate circuits. It will cost more. It will also be done the right way the first time. Powering HID's or other lights off the stock circuits in a Cruze that depends on the BCM to do so much is unfortunately inviting trouble.

after replacing my damaged BCM can i just rewire everything and power my LED tails and LED/CCFL headlights with separate circuits? will doing this save me all the stress and problems in the future? because i really love these lights and want to keep them i just want to correct this problem and see that it never happens again.

so is it safe to say doing this will keep everything running smooth when i re wire it?

·
Registered
192 Posts
First of all, if you still have the OEM lights, put them back in, or at the very least, disconnect the aftermarket headlights, because whatever they blew out will probably just blow out again. Your dealer *should* have checked fuses, but you can check them again to be sure. If you find a blown fuse, do not replace it with a higher amperage fuse, that's asking for an electrical fire (forgive me if I sound condescending, I have seen people do this before).

Do you have a multimeter? That's the most sure-fire way to test a fuse, set your multimeter to measure resistance (ohms, commonly labled with greek letter Omega) and set it to the lowest scale if it's not auto-ranging. Pull the fuses one by one, and check for continuity between the terminals. They should all read around 0 ohms (maybe 1 or 2 if your meter isn't super accurate). The Cruze has two fuse panels, one inside the car below the headlight switch, and the other underneath the hood near the battery. Your owner's manual actually has pretty decent pictures of these and explains how to open them (in-car one is pretty obvious, underhood one is slightly more tricky but still not brain surgery). Check every single fuse. Yeah, that's probably overkill, but who knows what all is linked together. If you find a blown one, cross your fingers and replace it. If they're all good, you're probably just screwed. It may also be worth asking your dealer to check all of the wiring prior to replacing any parts (maybe an overcurrent melted insulation on some wires, it would really suck to replace the BCM and have it blow up again immediately because you have a short somewhere in the system).

If you don't have a multimeter, you may be able to visually inspect the fuses, but this isn't 100% foolproof since it relies on you having good eyes, and the fuse being blown in a place where you can see it. The underhood fusebox has a mixture of relays, small fuses, and big fuses (Picture here http://i.imgur.com/HC2kT.jpg). The big fuses (colored blocks with numbers like 30, 40, etc. on them) you can look at the top of, there should be a strip of wire inside them. The black and gray blocks that you can't see inside are relays, not fuses. They can't really be checked without a multimeter. The smaller fuses (the much smaller colored blocks with smaller numbers like 5, 10, 20 on them) you will have to pull out to inspect visually. They have a strip of metal inside them, if the strip is broken, the fuse is blown. (Picture here: http://www.bdfuses.com/images/Fuse2_med_med.jpg - good fuse is on the left, bad one is on the right).

·
Registered
990 Posts
First replace the stock lamps then take it to the dealer to have that relay replace you can leave the tails in Can you post the link where u got them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
One more piece of advice: if the dealer says that the aftermarket lights caused the problem, I'd look into getting the guy who installed them or the company that made the lights to pay up. When you sell aftermarket parts for a car, you have a responsibility to make sure they're safe and won't damage the car. Unfortunately getting some ebay seller to pony up could be tough, but if nothing else you might be able to dispute through eBay and get the cost of the lights refunded - eBay is very buyer-friendly when it comes to such things.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Go to your local parts store. Buy a test light, should be $20 or more if it's a digital read out.

Discconect your current lights, make sure any bare wires are tapped or cut.

go into the car, turn the lights on manually

locate the two fuse panels in the car

ground one end of the test light, take the pointy end and proceed to check both sides of every fuse in the car. (There will be a tiny metal area exposed on the fuses)

if the light lights up fuse is good, no light it's either an auxiliary/acc fuse or it's blown. Pull the fuse (needle nose pliers work best) if you don't see the connection broken your good.

If they all check out, your SOL and to the dealer you go. It sounds like a fuse though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts