Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting close to 3000 miles on my Cruze. My dealer says the oil changes for this car can be done as late as 7000 miles, though I think I'll probably do mine around 5000 just as a personal precaution.

However, 7000 miles, or even 5000, seems like a long time to go on the break in oil. So when did you get your first oil change?

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I just hit 5K and am about to get mine done. 5K is about the limit for stock oil. Hopefully I can pay the difference and get full synthetic maybe of my choosing?

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I also went in shortly after 3000 miles

Sent from my last surviving brain cell

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I'll probably wait until 5000 miles and then pay the difference to start running full synthetic

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I went around 5000 miles on the first oil change ;) I'm not sure if it stands for the Cruze but a lot of brand new cars have extra moly added to the oil to help with break in. So it's good to go the duration with it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mine rolled 5000 yesterday. I have an appointment for Tuesday morning to have mine changed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
2000 kms. I usually do my "break in oil change" on new cars after 1000 kms and immediately begin running full synthetic, however since the Cruze comes with a semi synthetic I left a bit longer than usual. I own 2 shops and therefore tend to do maintenance on my car more often than most people. I am a firm believer that the reason why Manufacturers are recommending such long intervals is because they often offer 2-3 years of free oil changes from dealer when buying new. Doubling the service mileage means a drastic cut back in the amount of free services offered.

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,232 Posts
`
I waited until 5,000 miles on my 2012 Cruze and then took it to the dealership for and an oil and filter change, annual State inspection and four wheel tire rotation including a TPMS reset. The whole shebang cost me $29.95 plus $1.80 in sales tax. Switched to Mobil 1 Extended Life Synthetic Oil using the factory GM cartridge filter.

the Deets:
I brought the Mobil 1 Extended Life Synthetic Oil with me. Purchased a 5-quart jug at Walmart for $26. The service department didn't mind a bit and it saved me over $40 bucks compared to using Mobil 1 from the dealership. Had I elected to to use the standard GM Dexos oil for the fill, total cost of the service visit would have been $39.95 plus $2.40 in sales tax. The original drained oil was clean as a whistle and smooth as silk to the touch.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Because of my old-fashioned-ness I took mine to the dealership at 1,600 mi. (Dexos1 syn.-blend), then changed it myself at 4K (changed over to Valvoline full syn.) and have done it myself at a 5K interval since. It's currently at 19,100 miles (avg. 2,000 miles a month), runs flawless, and doesn't use a drop of oil... er, okay, except after a pull up to 110 MPH/6,100 RPM in 4th gear, then it was a tad lower. :p

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
The 2014 comes with 2 years free maintenance and that is dictated by the Oil life Monitor. I live in a very moderate climate and will use the cheap dealer oil when needed!
I'm sweating just by reading that forecast Eddy!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Yes at times like this I wish I was back in Miami and that was no picnic with the humidity and hurricanes. Plus we always lost power, in 2005 all the poles blew away? The Canadians and probably anyone from MI would love to spend the winters here but come Summer time this area of Southern California/Arizona gets deadly. Manson lived out here in San Bernardino County, the largest County in the Country!

·
Registered
46 Posts
5300. It wasnt really "due" yet, I was to follow the oil life monitor. At 32% I called the dealer and they did it for me, just last week actually. I was going to wait, but I'm driving up to Niagara Falls in a couple of weeks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts