Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so let’s say you driving down the road, bopping your head to your favorite music when oh CRAP it starts to pour like it’s never poured before, the flood gates are open, the road is slippier then snot. Well you think to yourself, "No big deal, i have StabiliTrak" and cruise on with confidence. I’m sure a lot of people out there are really happy with their StabiliTrak system on their cruze but Im also sure alot of new comers aren’t aware on how it actually works. So, I'm developing this thread to discuss how it actually works, and what to do if your facing a fishtailing cruze. StabiliTrak is defined by GM as:
" The StabiliTrak system works by recognizing the start of an under steer or over steer condition. Sensors detect the difference between the direction the driver is actually turning and the vehicle's response by "reading" the steering wheel position, the amount of sideways force in place, vehicle speed and how the vehicle is turning."

What this actually means, GM may have given a simple explanation for this but lets simplify it a little more. When you were driving down that road confident that your car was going to ensure that you didn’t slip out of control and drive into a ditch ruining your most prized possession it was doing something amazing. Your car is constantly reading the position of the steering wheel and cross checking that with the direction that you are driving. When the ECU determines that the turn you are attempting to make is false (aka not turning) of if it deems that your are about to spiral out of control into a death pit it will attempt (and more than likely succeed) to get you back on the right course. What happens next is nothing short of science. Your car actually automatically breaks the left front tire if your rear starts to fishtail and the back right tire if that front of your car starts to slip. Unlike ABS brakes where all four tires are pumped at a constant rate, StabiliTrak pumps only the tires needed to regain control of the vehicle. So next time your staring down a slippery road you can grin with confidence that your chevy cruze will get you there safely.

·
Administrator
25,371 Posts
Stabilitrak and ABS actually work together to enforce the rule that in case of a skid, steer where you want the car to go. Also, if you're braking hard through a turn (yes, I know drivers' ed teachers say don't do this but it's not always possible to avoid) and the wheels start to lock up, ABS will engage, but the stabilitrak system will actually override the ABS computer and allow a wheel to lock up if needed to restore the car to the turn radius requested by the steering wheel input. Also, if your stabilitrak or traction control engages, the cruise control will disengage.

Does anyone know if the Cruze has the ability to send drive train power to both front wheels independently? If so, stabilitrak will also use this capability along with brakes to return the car to the steering wheel requested turning radius.

Stabilitrak uses not only the input from the steering wheel but also the same sensors that control side air bag deployment. It is very possible to be in a high speed turn and hit a bump and the resulting body roll, even with no traction loss, will trigger both the stabiltrak and traction control systems. I know, I can do this on command on the ramp from eastbound C-470 to northbound I-25 while driving the posted 65 MPH limit.

One final note about Stabilitrak - just about every bloody fault code, including a loose gas cap, will disable this system. So if your car is throwing the Stabiltrak off lights at you and you have a check engine light, ignore the Stabilitrak light until the check engine light is resolved.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,268 Posts
Now your Talking !!!:sigh::sigh: Twins !!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts