Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Administrator
25,375 Posts
I'm curious. What were those modifications? Maybe I will give them a try.
I dropped a the Cruze LT & LTZ's spare tire stack in the trunk and then when I replaced the tires I went with heavier tires. Total weight add-back was 40-50 lbs. Links are in my signature.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I haven't been on here since we sold our 13' Eco a while ago. I'm glad others are doing the tank mod. IMO it was the best mod I did to our car.

I am back now because I am going to purchase a 18' Hatch with the diesel. FINALLY Chevy is offering it!

·
Registered
157 Posts
What a frightening modification to consider, except as motivation to get a diesel engine instead of a gasser.

Has anyone crash-tested a cruze with the modded/extra-3.6 gallons, either intentionally or unintentionally?
Is the fuel tank integrity in that situation as good as with the factory setup? (No of course it is not.)

Buy A gen2 Chevy Cruze Diesel and join the 3 other customers in USA who have done so (all 3 of us are on this forum!).

·
Administrator
25,375 Posts
What a frightening modification to consider, except as motivation to get a diesel engine instead of a gasser.

Has anyone crash-tested a cruze with the modded/extra-3.6 gallons, either intentionally or unintentionally?
Is the fuel tank integrity in that situation as good as with the factory setup? (No of course it is not.)

Buy A gen2 Chevy Cruze Diesel and join the 3 other customers in USA who have done so (all 3 of us are on this forum!).
Since this mod doesn't change the tank or how it's secured to the car you're spewing FUD without any backing. There was even a recall on some of the Gen 1 Cruzes because the tank straps weren't properly secured - the fix was to release the tank's restraining straps and reconnect them properly, and if the straps were worn, replace them with new ones.

All this mod does is shorten the length of the fuel pump shroud to match the length of the LT and LTZ fuel pump shroud. Gas tanks are designed to be pulled and reattached so the main gas pump inside can be replaced in case of failure.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Eli in the case of the 15.6 FLVV, it is OE parts in the OE 15.6 gallon configuration. There is no more danger than driving an automatic equipped Cruze, since it's identical.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
The lack of fully reading and comprehending the topic before spewing bad information never ceases to amaze me.

Anyhow the reason I logged in tonight was to update, I ended up picking up a new Volt instead. Unfortunately to get a Cruze diesel optioned the way I wanted it required me to get an automatic transmission. I feel the manual is a great match to the diesel and it's unfortunate GM chose to not let a buyer equip the manual version they way that they want to.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
The lack of fully reading and comprehending the topic before spewing bad information never ceases to amaze me.

Anyhow the reason I logged in tonight was to update, I ended up picking up a new Volt instead. Unfortunately to get a Cruze diesel optioned the way I wanted it required me to get an automatic transmission. I feel the manual is a great match to the diesel and it's unfortunate GM chose to not let a buyer equip the manual version they way that they want to.
Instead of pushing in the shrader valve to release pressure. Try pulling the fuse to the fuel pump and starting up the car. No rag needed to release pressure.

As for everyone else. Shops replace pumps in tanks all the time. Usually the tanks are full as that seems to be when pumps like to dump. They're not blowing up.

·
Administrator
25,375 Posts

Another Volt convert. I think you're the fourth one here to go from the Cruze to the Volt.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Another Volt convert. I think you're the fourth one here to go from the Cruze to the Volt.
Volt styling has evolved considerably, good job GM. ‘17-‘18’s looking more cool these days, unlike the Prius design which has gone off the rails IMO.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, I'm fearfully uncertain about modding gas tanks on a modern car, but the informative responses here help me see that I can stop Denying modding of gas-tanks in this case.

It's good that the experts are confident that all is well with modding the manual-cars-tank to be like the automatic-transmission-car's tank to hold for more fuel, and that GM engineers designed that solution. Nice.

Happy and safe motoring (and modding) to all.
Happy and safe hypermiling too, if that's what you are into.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Volt styling has evolved considerably, good job GM. ‘17-‘18’s looking more cool these days, unlike the Prius design which has gone off the rails IMO.

AAAannnnddd I'm back in a Cruze lol. As cool as the Volt was I am a diesel fan and should have just waited for the diesel hatch to be available.

Believe it or not I bought the Volt in January 2018. Traded it in June of 2018. I still get to claim the $7500 tax rebate and paid no state sales tax on the Volt because of the state incentive that has now expired.

I got enough on trade in with the Volt where essentially all I am out is the 5 payments I made on the car.

I was shocked as to how much they gave me on the Volt.

The 2018 Cruze RS Hatch, Auto, loaded as far as I can tell for the Diesel was $25k. I don't think they offered the Premier in Diesel so if that is the case then mine is in fact loaded as you can get.

Volt was a great car but just wasn't for me.

121 - 132 of 132 Posts