Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
15,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Does ethylene glycol-based coolant have a shelf life?

I have a gallon container of Prestone Dex-Cool approved 50/50 prediluted coolant (purchased late 2014). I've been using this 1-2 times per year to top-off the coolant in my 2014 Cruze. (I'm guessing I haven't used more than 16 oz. total.) Later on this year I'll be having the cooling system flushed.

Is it okay to continue using my existing Prestone coolant or should I buy a new gallon?
I'd say shelf life is comparable to its service life; 5 years.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'd say shelf life is comparable to its service life; 5 years.
That's also what I've generally assumed.

However, my mom had the coolant in her 2012 Honda Fit changed recently at a Honda dealer. I was checking the level in the overflow bottle this weekend for the first time since it was changed and noticed it's at the minimum level. I was going to top it off, but the container of Genuine Honda Type 2 Coolant (the blue stuff) mom has was purchased 4.5 years ago. Not wanting to add old coolant from the container to the new coolant in the car, I took the container of coolant to the Honda dealer with the intent of recycling it and purchasing a new gallon. But the guy behind the parts counter said the old coolant is still okay to use; the 5-year clock doesn't start until the coolant is actually in the car.

This got me wondering about my Dex-Cool coolant. Both it and the Honda Type 2 coolant are ethylene glycol-based. Is the Honda parts counter guy wrong or is there something "special" about Honda coolant?

·
Registered
Holden Cruze 1.8L 2012. 63k miles odometer (15-03-2020).
74 Posts
The coolant drain plug on the Holden Cruze 2012 1.8L is under the front right corner and easily accessible. No need to remove the plastic panel. I like to have the cars front end right side lower to drain more out. First I flush with tap water then two or three times more using demineralized water.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts