Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
An update: there are 2 ways to drain the coolant from the block. the coolant is pumped into the block in the front, when the block, turbo and oil cooler are full, the cylinder head then starts to fill and can exit at the water outlet. this is how air can easily be trapped in the upper parts of the cylinder head.

On the timing cover, under the water pump, is a bolt that will drain the block.

there is also a more accessible way on the turbo cartridge, this will drain the block and the turbo.

you can stick a hose in the tank and flush out the system or dump distilled water in.

this will drain 100% of the system

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,936 Posts
An update: there are 2 ways to drain the coolant from the block. the coolant is pumped into the block in the front, when the block, turbo and oil cooler are full, the cylinder head then starts to fill and can exit at the water outlet. this is how air can easily be trapped in the upper parts of the cylinder head.

On the timing cover, under the water pump, is a bolt that will drain the block.

there is also a more accessible way on the turbo cartridge, this will drain the block and the turbo.

you can stick a hose in the tank and flush out the system or dump distilled water in.

this will drain 100% of the system
Do you have a picture of an assembled engine that you can possibly point to these plugs on?

·
Premium Member
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
831 Posts
Do you have a picture of an assembled engine that you can possibly point to these plugs on?

?? Last Picture from what I can see is a block with the timing cover on it .. the bolt is just below the water pump .. the second one is on the side of the turbo which would typically be facing the radiator and core support.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
?? Last Picture from what I can see is a block with the timing cover on it .. the bolt is just below the water pump .. the second one is on the side of the turbo which would typically be facing the radiator and core support.
Never had one of these out and needed to be oriented.

·
Premium Member
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
831 Posts
Pic 4 is the timing cover outward side where the waterpump mounts . Pic 6 is the cover on the bare block no head. Left side of the pic would be the bottom of the motor . Someone rebuilding a motor it looks like.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
47 Posts
So I have a quick question concerning the coolant change interval.

I have a 2013 Cruze Eco - 41K miles. Owned since new. Bought and driven in Canada for first 3 years and now live in southwest Ohio.

And I have followed the severe service maintenance schedule for all 8 years. In my manual it states that coolant is to be changed at 150,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. But in other places, such as this post, I see it is 5 years.

Am I overdue for a coolant change?

Can I test it and if it is still good leave it until later?

Check pages 343 and 344 of the manual (hyperlink below):

The intent isn't to just put off maintenance but rather to not do maintenance that isn't required yet.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,572 Posts
So I have a quick question concerning the coolant change interval.

I have a 2013 Cruze Eco - 41K miles. Owned since new. Bought and driven in Canada for first 3 years and now live in southwest Ohio.

And I have followed the severe service maintenance schedule for all 8 years. In my manual it states that coolant is to be changed at 150,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. But in other places, such as this post, I see it is 5 years.

Am I overdue for a coolant change?

Can I test it and if it is still good leave it until later?

Check pages 343 and 344 of the manual (hyperlink below):

The intent isn't to just put off maintenance but rather to not do maintenance that isn't required yet.

Thanks for the advice.
I mean, it comes down to a matter of opinion really, that is GM's opinion, this is ours... I did my 2013 at 56k miles and it runs so much cooler now. Did it matter? Maybe not, but it was less than $50 and I can mark it off the check list for years to come. I also changed my plugs at the same mileage when they are said to last 100k... ran much smoother afterwards and had a bit more power... Again, did it need done per GM, no. But was it beneficial, yes.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
47 Posts
I mean, it comes down to a matter of opinion really, that is GM's opinion, this is ours... I did my 2013 at 56k miles and it runs so much cooler now. Did it matter? Maybe not, but it was less than $50 and I can mark it off the check list for years to come. I also changed my plugs at the same mileage when they are said to last 100k... ran much smoother afterwards and had a bit more power... Again, did it need done per GM, no. But was it beneficial, yes.
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

May I ask, did you do the coolant change yourself for $50? I'm not sure a coolant flush is within the scope of my skillset. Dealer wants $160.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,572 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

May I ask, did you do the coolant change yourself for $50? I'm not sure a coolant flush is within the scope of my skillset. Dealer wants $160.
Yep, took about an hour or two of my time. Blasirl has powered some helpful links above. But to be honest, $160 isn’t too bad at a dealer… as long as you can actually get outta there with that and no upsells lol

Reactions: AlainSDL
41 - 50 of 50 Posts