Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to clean your windshield and nothing's spraying out? It's time to add windshield washer fluid! This is especially important in the winter, when salty road spray can quickly impair visibility.

If your windshield is clogged with ice or snow, use a snow brush to clean it off. Trying to use windshield washer fluid on heavy ice or snow is ineffective, even a fancy "de-icer" fluid. It can also severely damage the windshield wipers if it's heavy enough. Take the extra minute and remove that stuff by hand with a snow brush or ice scraper. If you don't have one, a credit card works in a pinch for ice.

If you live where the temperature drops below freezing in the winter, do NOT use straight water! This will freeze and damage the system, meaning $$$$ repairs. I like to use fluid rated to -20*F or lower. I personally use the Rain-X branded fluid.

DISCLAIMER: This is for instructional purposes only. Neither I nor CruzeTalk accept any responsibility or liability for damage caused by following this how-to.

Tools needed:
1 gallon of quality windshield washer fluid
Funnel

Step 1: Open the hood.

Step 2: Locate the windshield washer fluid tank. It's behind the driver's side headlight, as seen here:

Step 3: Open the lid. You will need to prop it open, since it likes to close.

Step 4: Open the windshield washer fluid bottle. I used my car key to rip off the foil top. Dispose of this safely.

Step 5: Pour! Make sure your funnel is in place, or free-hand it. I chose to free-hand since I've done this countless times.

If it's empty, you'll go through roughly a gallon of fluid. If it's less empty, it'll use less.

Stop pouring when the tank sounds full, or you can see the new fluid without looking too hard.

Step 6: Close the lid! Don't send that brand new fluid sloshing around the engine bay.

Step 7: Close the hood.

There you go!

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Hahaha...

Nice write-up Sciphi. I guess not everyone knows this!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thank you for the effort you made on this and your other "How To" it is easy to take it for granted that everyone knows how to do these things.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahaha...

Nice write-up Sciphi. I guess not everyone knows this!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App
This is targeted at the person who has no idea how a car works besides put it into D to go forward, and stop at the gas station when the gauge is near E.

Most of us forum regulars take this for granted. Somebody who has no previous experience working on cars might not know this, and not think to "read the flippin' manual" where it describes how to do this.

·
Administrator
25,377 Posts
It's too bad drivers' ed was dropped from high school. Simple maintainence tasks like this were taught. Thanks sciphi.

·
Registered
687 Posts
This is targeted at the person who has no idea how a car works besides put it into D to go forward, and stop at the gas station when the gauge is near E.

Most of us forum regulars take this for granted. Somebody who has no previous experience working on cars might not know this, and not think to "read the flippin' manual" where it describes how to do this.
What's "D"?

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

What's "D"?
Nice one! Some folks have no clue it once stood for "drive"...

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
What's "D"?
P = Park
R = Reverse
N = Neutral
D = Drive
M = Manaul auto-shift

Edit: Geez, here I thought he was serious, lol. Ok then haha.

·
Registered
481 Posts
i really support the fact that you are doing these how to's man, some people just dont know. kudos to you my friend!

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I could have used a "how to add engine oil" back when I was in college. I had an old F150 and put the oil in the power steering pump. It was not happy at all about that. I've come a long way since those days haha

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I could have used a "how to add engine oil" back when I was in college. I had an old F150 and put the oil in the power steering pump. It was not happy at all about that. I've come a long way since those days haha
I sure hope so...!!! lol
Where's the thread that shows how to put air in my tires and gas in my tank?

·
Administrator
25,377 Posts
I sure hope so...!!! lol
Where's the thread that shows how to put air in my tires and gas in my tank?
I could have used the Gas in my tank part of this one a rental car one time. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to open the gas cap cover.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Just curious: living in Phoenix, is there any reason not to use water instead of fluid? I wish freezing could be an issue for me.
Bugs. And oil thrown up in the mist from traffic ahead of you. You want something that will take that off without damaging your wax or paint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
does anyone know how many liters of window washer fluid goes in a 2010/2011 Gen 1 Cruze ?

I still got pure Water in it from Summer and want to add Anti Freeze Stuff 1:1 ratio for Winter now, but don't know how much it holds.

Only option for me right now: Empty the tank and fill it up with the new mixture.

But would be nice to know anyway how much it holds.. i wasnt able to find any information in any manuals or on the internet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts