Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Chevrolet Spark is already an affordable subcompact, but is it possible to get it for under $10,000? It’s certainly possible when you look to our northern neighbors.

If you’re cash-strapped, you may be looking at ways to save some money on a new vehicle. Maybe you’ve considered cross-border shopping? Due to the favorable exchange rate between Canada and the U.S., some American citizens travel up north to buy consumer goods on the cheap. But you’ll notice that Canadian items usually carry a higher MSRP than their U.S. equivalents to make up for the exchange rate.

One car seems to have it backwards, and that’s the bare-bones Chevrolet Spark. Already a pretty affordable car in the U.S., the Canadian version is priced significantly lower despite having the same equipment. In the U.S., a base Spark LS costs $13,535 after destination. In Canada, the same Spark LS costs $11,595 including taxes and freight (Canada’s version of destination fees). Not only does the Canadian Spark have a lower base price, but that figure is in Canadian dollars. Converted into to U.S. dollars, the price rings in at around $8,780 using the current exchange rate.

So, in theory, you can get the Spark for a huge discount.

But things aren’t always that easy. If you wanted to cash in on this bargain you would have to deal with a tough and potentially confusing car import process. You can see the whole gauntlet of instructions at the U.S. customs and border protection website, but we’ve got some advice from importers about how to still save some money while importing a car.
Read more about How To Buy a Brand New Car For Under $10,000 at AutoGuide.com.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Who writes these no help stories?

GM will suspend the dealership of any dealer selling a new car cross border. Furthermore, your warranty is invalidated.

Please AutoGuide, why do you publish these things that assault your credibility?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
They've started to advertise the Elio on local TV here. New ones start at $6,800. Not interested.

Elio Motors

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
GM will not provide the FMVSS letter either, so this story is worse than useless. It's downright misleading.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
But the spark is what a $ 400.00 car ...shoot I'll give em $ 350.00 for a green 1 and take IT to Canuckland to sell IT to a Turtle for Ahh maybe
$ 10.000.00 ......Priceless ....

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I am surprised AG has not attempted to defend their position in writing this article.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
I'd really like to know what's going on at AG - because what we've seen over the past two or three months has not been consistent with their past practice. Nor has it reflected well on them.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
I'd really like to know what's going on at AG - because what we've seen over the past two or three months has not been consistent with their past practice. Nor has it reflected well on them.
Ahh are you trying to give em a hint ..

I thought you worked there !

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
During that crunch in 2008 we could have purchased that bottom of the barrel Chevy car brand new for around $4,500.00. Our mall parking lot was loaded with them. I think, but not sure, they were calling it the Aveo back then. Who can keep track of stuff like this, change those names every five minutes.

My wife said, absolutely not, its too ugly, my argument was yes, but its brand new, but that didn't hold any weight with her.

I believe we have different EPA requirements for vehicles sold in Canada, sure do for Europe. Won't let you bring a European car here unless you pay a zillion dollars for certification,even though their emission standards are stricter than ours, or the EPA's I should say.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I've heard the Pontiac Aztek was a fine car, as long as the looks didn't bother you. You could cash in on the fact they weren't selling.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
So, AutoGuide, will you assist me in getting this deal you speak of, and take care of all legalities?

Reactions: Merc6 and Tomko

·
Registered
574 Posts
hey for $8780 i'll give another 1k for a auto & i'm in ;). I need to replace my 2nd car. I know this would never happen but I would buy it for the 2nd car

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Stopped by my dealer today to get a refund for the gap insurance I had on the cruze, they had 3 brand new base model 2016 Sparks with $10,000 written across the windshield. Looks like you can actually get one of these cars well below MSRP in the USA anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts