Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

661 - 680 of 685 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just did this on my vauxhall astra with the same engine, thanks to this write up

The removed article (reassembled)

Cone view downwards

Floor view upwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I only took out the top piece not the whole piece in the fender like you did. Same concept right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
i didn't read all 60 some pages in this thread but i thought i would mention a few things i know.

avoid steel/aluminium/ metal piping if you want an intake system. they capture heat. go with composite or polyethylene piping.

don't use a short ram intake. without some type of duct in the hood, all these do is suck up hot engine air and you'll lose power.

as for turbo noise, you'll get it from and upgraded down pipe and exhaust.

cruzes (or any car i can think of for that matter) from the factory, do not come with an atmospheric bov. they come with a recirculating bov. I was an engineer, my brother is an engineer and so are several of my uncles. in fact, one of them works for gm. more to the point, unless you are running speed density, any engineer will tell you not to install an atmospheric bov. re-circulation valves serve a rather important function in your maf system. if you absolutely must have an atmospheric bov though, you'll be encouraged to run a dual port bov. atmospheric bov's are for cars that make over 500 bhp or more depending on the car and have made the speed density conversion. I only bring this up because when I hear people "wanting to hear the bov" i think most people are referring to atmospheric. you'll need a tune to run one of these, unlike recirculating which i would recommend getting a forge brand version as the factory one is plastic.

lastly, unless there is something i haven't heard about the ecotec powertrain, most tuners prefer the stock intake. That's why i keep the stock box with the resonator delete. I could be wrong on this issue though as many tuners offer a stage one pack that contains the unit, the tune and an intake as their stage one kit. but then again maybe they do this because they know most everybody will buy an intake/ installing an intake is cake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i didn't read all 60 some pages in this thread but i thought i would mention a few things i know.

avoid steel/aluminium/ metal piping if you want an intake system. they capture heat. go with composite or polyethylene piping.

don't use a short ram intake. without some type of duct in the hood, all these do is suck up hot engine air and you'll lose power.

as for turbo noise, you'll get it from and upgraded down pipe and exhaust.

cruzes (or any car i can think of for that matter) from the factory, do not come with an atmospheric bov. they come with a recirculating bov. I was an engineer, my brother is an engineer and so are several of my uncles. in fact, one of them works for gm. more to the point, unless you are running speed density, any engineer will tell you not to install an atmospheric bov. re-circulation valves serve a rather important function in your maf system. if you absolutely must have an atmospheric bov though, you'll be encouraged to run a dual port bov. atmospheric bov's are for cars that make over 500 bhp or more depending on the car and have made the speed density conversion. I only bring this up because when I hear people "wanting to hear the bov" i think most people are referring to atmospheric. you'll need a tune to run one of these, unlike recirculating which i would recommend getting a forge brand version as the factory one is plastic.

lastly, unless there is something i haven't heard about the ecotec powertrain, most tuners prefer the stock intake. That's why i keep the stock box with the resonator delete. I could be wrong on this issue though as many tuners offer a stage one pack that contains the unit, the tune and an intake as their stage one kit. but then again maybe they do this because they know most everybody will buy an intake/ installing an intake is cake.
I get plenty of "blow off valve" noise with the stock recirculating valve and the typhoon CIA, moreso after the resonator delete. Although I've toyed with the idea of an external blow off valve and having the remap to match, I've got to say for purely noise sake it doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle.

I get a very audible hiss from dropping off the gas for gear changes etc with my setup. I'm still thinking of going for the forge recirculator valve though just for build strength

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm also getting the forge recirculating valve darkrain82. From all the reviews I've read the forge combined with a good intake or resonator delete sounds incredible. It does appear a bit vented in its design maybe that has something to do with it. I'm running the gtx14 so I'm afraid it will blow off the stock plastic valve.

I don't think we'll see the day the ecotec 1.4t will ever require a larger maf let alone require speed density.

I'm not discouraged though as I think 240bhp is easily obtainable. May seem like a small number nowadays but I remember my 1995 cobra 5.0 push rod motor came with 240 crank horse power from the factory lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm also getting the forge recirculating valve darkrain82. From all the reviews I've read the forge combined with a good intake or resonator delete sounds incredible. It does appear a bit vented in its design maybe that has something to do with it. I'm running the gtx14 so I'm afraid it will blow off the stock plastic valve.

I don't think we'll see the day the ecotec 1.4t will ever require a larger maf let alone require speed density.

I'm not discouraged though as I think 240bhp is easily obtainable. May seem like a small number nowadays but I remember my 1995 cobra 5.0 push rod motor came with 240 crank horse power from the factory lol.
Well the recirc valve is ordered, will see if there's any audible difference :) stock Turbo here so might not change much other than being a little less prone to wearing itself out later on

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well the recirc valve is ordered, will see if there's any audible difference :) stock Turbo here so might not change much other than being a little less prone to wearing itself out later on

If you can post a video clip or sound clip that'd be awesome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't have facebook or social media. Would I still be able to see it?
I believe so as that page is public, depends on how open Facebook are with non registered users. I'll stick a video up on YouTube too as it'll just make it easier

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just did this to my 1.8L and took it for a short spin to the store and back. Note that I do have a drop in K&N in it.

Pros:
According to my dash, I'm getting insanely better city mpg and about 2 mpg better highway. Still, want to test further for more accurate numbers.
Nice growl to it when you lay on the gas.

Cons:
When I started driving, I only had 1/8th of a tank, and it felt as if the car had more pull to it, as well as it didn't stutter at high RPMs anymore. After filling up (with 93), until I reached the highway (roughly 5 miles), it felt like it was dragging as if the E-brake was on, as well as had a significant torque drop (wife even noticed it) at 3500+ RPMs in each gear. After driving over 20 miles on the highway and returning to city roads, the performance seemed equal to before I had done anything, but with better gas mileage, and the torque drops were gone. Again, further testing is needed.

Regardless, this was a free and easy mod to do, and if it improves gas mileage, it'll make me happy.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,845 Posts
Just did this to my 1.8L and took it for a short spin to the store and back. Note that I do have a drop in K&N in it.

Pros:
According to my dash, I'm getting insanely better city mpg and about 2 mpg better highway. Still, want to test further for more accurate numbers.
Nice growl to it when you lay on the gas.

Cons:
When I started driving, I only had 1/8th of a tank, and it felt as if the car had more pull to it, as well as it didn't stutter at high RPMs anymore. After filling up (with 93), until I reached the highway (roughly 5 miles), it felt like it was dragging as if the E-brake was on, as well as had a significant torque drop (wife even noticed it) at 3500+ RPMs in each gear. After driving over 20 miles on the highway and returning to city roads, the performance seemed equal to before I had done anything, but with better gas mileage, and the torque drops were gone. Again, further testing is needed.

Regardless, this was a free and easy mod to do, and if it improves gas mileage, it'll make me happy.

Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I might also consider doing this. For the record, my car was purchased almost 2 yrs ago, and appearantly a squirrel (and maybe her family) was living inside. When I took the car home from the dealer, I was thinking about replacing the cabin air filter immediately (I know dealers and many owners don't do this) , only to find a handful of nut shells on top of the cabin air blower motor as well as empty nutshells rattling around inside my hood up to this day. I was thinking the other night, that my hesitation problem might due to Mrs squirrel hoarding nuts inside my resonator and plastic tubing for the air filter as well (especially after seeing some pics of the tube where it gets the air.. Trust me, it's not hard to imagine after all the nutshells I cleaned from this vehicle!

·
Registered
7 Posts
this won't affect drivability in the snow or rain right?? Just worried about getting things inside because of this, though i doubt anything will.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just did this and bought the copper spark plugs you guys suggest. Between the two the car feels way more responsive. And it used to bog down when the ac was on and that's completely gone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did this tweak, this weekend on my 90,521 mile 2011 Eco. Did not unplug the battery, and throttle response was immediately better.
Didn't noticed a MPG change after a weekend and commute to work.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So what happens if we do drop a fastener in the box where can we find it, this may have just happened. >.< :$

EDIT** Where you remove the intake resonator the air box doesn't fit properly back into the metal of the car is this normal? It feels like it also sits a bit loose now what did I do wrong? :p

SECOND EDIT** Seventh picture down my air box doens't have this hose nor do I see one? Any input?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did this mod when I first bought the car, two months later I am having problems with loss of boost in 5th and 6th gear with the pedal to the floor. It is surging under load and then goes flat. On the live meter I see the throttle body open and then partially close and it does this cycle while climbing a hill. I replaced the spark plugs with the v groove copper which improved the low end. I replaced the intake resonator today and that fixed the issue.

661 - 680 of 685 Posts