Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been misfiring and took a look at the plugs and Springs. Slight corrosion on 1 2 3 and real bad on 4.

Bought new plugs and had new Springs but any idea how to clean the corrosion off the coil?

I plan on buying a new rail when I have the money.

20150829_110229.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cleaned out as much as I could using a Q-tip and a lot of it flaked out.

I made sure no cotton fibers were left behind. Put the new plugs and springs in, and so far the car is driving smooth. I don't feel any misfires, but my scan app (Torque Pro, using a bluetooth OBD) says it picked up 1, 9, 0, 1 misfires on cylinders 1,2,3,4 respectively. I don't know how accurate that thing is, but it feels fine. I'm going to monitor it as I drive more and will order a new coil rail soon.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not to worry - if there are misfires and they are frequent enough, your OBD II system will pick that up and turn on the beloved Check Engine light.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
You could also use electronics cleaner, or isopropyl alcohol 90% or higher. Don't use the standard stuff thy is only 70% alcohol as it has more contaminants than purer alcohol and will not dry as quickly

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
10,713 Posts
Gonna need a new pack by next winter. I have same issue around December to February. Expect that cylinder to fail eventually.

This is how mines was.

·
10,713 Posts
I used silicone on the boots and Amsoil MP on the springs and resistor. Pack looks like it did when I got it in the middle of the winter season beginning of the year.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Carefully twist the boot off the coil which will free the spring. Then just sandpaper or lightly file the corrosion off the contact points, spray with some electrical contact cleaner, spread the spring out just a tad, replace and be done with it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far the car has been driving okay.

Hopefully I can get some more life out of this pack before it needs replacing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts