Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ironically never had to deal with this before, Continental tires have a 80K mile thread wear warranty, already with 38K down to the wear ribs.

Suspect after my dealer replaced the electric power steering unit, never properly aligned the front wheels. I do plan on having an alignment check, and if okay, has to be a defect in the tires.

So where do I go? A good Chevy dealer or to a Continental tire dealer? If my wheels are out of alignment, not sure how to deal with this, already had rotten work done by this dealer before. Could bite the bullet and just buy four new tires. Can't rotate tires of different wear, ABS light will be constantly on.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I've never used a tire warranty, even though I never get anywhere near the claimed mileage. I just chalk it up to my driving style and the excessive amount of corners some routes around here have. Pretty sure I turn left and right at least a dozen times every mile.

Got 35K out of the factory FR710 firestones, 30K out of the hankook optimo H727(this tire had a 100K tread-life warranty), and I currently have about 15K on my Firestone Precision touring. So far this last set have about double the tread of the previous two at this point.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Nick,
I doubt the dealer that replaced the rack didn't set the toe (the only adjustment there is, actually)

Continantal tires have a rather dismal history regarding tread wear so, I'd take the paperwork showing when the rack was replaced to the tire dealer saying the toe was set to spec but their tires aren't up to the task.

I am assuming there is no odd wear pattern involved, just a standard, entire tread just about gone down to 3/32's front AND rear (rotation, remember).

Now, if you haven't been rotating and the rears look like new thats a whole new bucket of wax.....but if all four are done, drop it in their lap and see what happens.

Please follow through with the story...we all wan't to hear how this pans out.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thinking back, did see the rack was brand new with tie rod ends already installed and were tight, was told the wheels were properly aligned, but I was going to question this, but didn't. Where is your wheel alignment machine?

Since I have lived in this town for over 5 minutes, only three places in town that does wheel alignment, how did they get this job done so quick? My fault in a sense for not questioning this.

Yep, toe in is the only adjustment on these things, rest is changing parts, either straight ahead or up to 0.4 degrees maximum inward with 0.2 degrees as the optimum. But still hit us for a four wheel alignment when all they can do is to adjust the front wheel toe in. Rest, tell you, need new parts. Even opening the upper strut screw holes is out of the question with the Cruze for camber and caster extremely minor adjustments. But see some on this site found offset lower strut bolts for camber.

Cruze is actually the first car I purchased where I could find the same exact tires listed with actually a thread wear warranty. But already know its worthless, will blame everything except the tire. See what happens today.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,548 Posts
At least with the FR710 on my car, they sell 2 versions of the FR710:

-An OEM (S-rated) tire with less tread depth than normal. Also used on the Malibu and other GM vehicles. These wore out in 30K miles. These do not have a tread warranty.

-A standard consumer market tire (T-rated instead of S). I had a nail in one tire and had to replace it with one directly from Firestone. I SWEAR this one wore much less quickly than the 3 other tires on the car (it was put on at 7000 miles on the clock and hardly worn at all when the same tire went flat again at 25K).

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Discussed this with my good Chevy dealer, no matter how you slice the mustard will be a long battle. You hit a pothole, under inflated by 0.1 pascals, etc.

Then have to agree these Continentals were the worse winter tires we have every had. So just biting the bullet and having all four replaced. Selected Goodyear 94V Assurance ComforTred tires correct for this car. Price tag is $593.00 that includes mounting, balancing, wheel alignment, buying back my old tires, full repair, tire rotation every 7,500 miles, alignment check each year. Place is only a mile down the road, been pretty good so far.

Ha, did get my wife a new iphone for free after she dropped it, but can see this would be an endless battle, getting too old for this.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I used to work at tire shop and unfortunately, the mileage warranty is BS because it is not a guarantee. So its warrantied against manufacturer defects up to xx miles but not guaranteed you'll hit that mileage.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FL toe in was 0.04*, FR was 0.14*, well within Chevy specs, so wasn't the problem, didn't fool with it nor charged me for a 4 wheel alignment. Caster and camber also with specs for all four wheels, including the toe for the rears.

So I gather those Continental tires are not even close to their so-called thread wear warranty that you would never get anyway. GM must be getting a special buy on these tires, just like on their batteries.

Here I thought I finally purchased a new car with real tires on it, wrong again. Had to take my Cruze for a 20 mile ride, radio off, to get the feel. Noticeable improvement in handling, ride comfort, and quietness.

Least my record remains intact, never purchased a new vehicle yet with decent tires on it, this also includes my 88 Supra Turbo, as I recall, those tires were shot with less than 20K miles on it. And this baby was never rodded.

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
I used to work at tire shop and unfortunately, the mileage warranty is BS because it is not a guarantee. So its warrantied against manufacturer defects up to xx miles but not guaranteed you'll hit that mileage.
Depends on the wording. Many tire warranties include a tread life warranty and if you have to replace the tire early due to excessive wear and all four tires are worn evenly you can claim this warranty. I've done this twice now and received a discount on replacement tires. Once with the OEM Goodyear tires - I had one that wouldn't hold air and once with Perelli Centurato P5s that wore out in 40K miles instead of the rated 60K miles.

·
16,548 Posts
Yeah I had a 2LT rental and thought the tires were loud and stiff over bumps compared to my 1LT. I've heard similar complaints about useless winter traction and noise from the same tires that are OEM on Honda Civics.

I have had a partial credit back towards a new set on tread wear warranties from other tires, but I don't think that you'd really get anywhere with OEM tires. My Volvo chewed through tires like crazy even when it would keep an alignment, so that was helpful.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beginning to think OE tires are made of recycled #2 eraser heads. A friend wanted me to look at a 2012 Subaru Outback Limited with 40k miles on it. Kind of a way overpriced vehicle with all that worthless stuff added to it. Nothing left of the tires on this thing either, so I gather, dey all do dis.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yes, all car manufacturers (just like many other outsourced parts) put out bid requests for tires. The manufacturer that can offer the best tire (determined by whom is the question) at the lowest price wins. The problem is that this usually leaves a sour taste in the consumers mouth then you realize they're junk tires but not at all a reflection of the company - in other words, just because those OE Continentals were terrible, doesn't mean Continental makes terrible tires.

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
Yes, all car manufacturers (just like many other outsourced parts) put out bid requests for tires. The manufacturer that can offer the best tire (determined by whom is the question) at the lowest price wins. The problem is that this usually leaves a sour taste in the consumers mouth then you realize they're junk tires but not at all a reflection of the company - in other words, just because those OE Continentals were terrible, doesn't mean Continental makes terrible tires.
So it is in the best interest of the tire manufacturers to make the OEM tires as good as they can. Otherwise people will buy a different brand when the OEM tires wear out.

·
16,548 Posts
So it is in the best interest of the tire manufacturers to make the OEM tires as good as they can. Otherwise people will buy a different brand when the OEM tires wear out.
Too bad it almost never works that way.

The only decent sets of OEM tires I've ever seen came on a performance or luxury car.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guilty as charged, those Continentals left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Want to meet people with a very short life span? Try production managers, wonder if they drastically shortened the curing cycle to meet these large orders. Really pressured by management to get this stuff out the door, and those with a conscience don't last very long.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Too bad it almost never works that way.

The only decent sets of OEM tires I've ever seen came on a performance or luxury car.
I also noticed that Japanese cars seem to better in this category. My wife's toyota came with Michelin Primacy tire which are a really good all season tire.

·
16,548 Posts
I also noticed that Japanese cars seem to better in this category. My wife's toyota came with Michelin Primacy tire which are a really good all season tire.
Our Toyota has the worst tires I have ever had on anything ever (Bridgestone). Accords and the Mazda 3, unfortunately, used to use the same tire.

·
Registered
271 Posts
75,000 miles and counting on my original ECO tires. I'm buying these again when the time comes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts