Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It's good to see someone figured this out on the Gen 2. There should be no problem with disconnecting the onstar antenna, other than onstar no longer getting a signal and connecting with GM (or Big Brother / NSA).
Big Brother / NSA is able to track that cell phone as well, likely more so than the car via OnStar.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
perfect thanks i was looking to see where its hidden

·
Registered
711 Posts
also whats the antenna to the left that you left hooked up

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would have thought you had read 1984 by now!!
Big Brother is definitely watching everything we do, but he's keeping track of us through our cell phones. What more perfect way to keep track of us could there be besides our phones, by which we pay for the privelege of being tracked? I use a good VPN so they can't track my internet activity, but they probably have a backdoor into that, as well. The "My Chevrolet" app and OnStar even keeps track of and scores how good of a driver they think you are and rates you on it. Scary, indeed! "Every breath you take, every move you make, I'll be watching you."

·
Registered
1 Posts
I"m wondering that myself. ^^^^^

Onstar never bothers me.

Now that screen that pops up occasionally on the radio. I'd defenitely like to get rid of that. That screen that says something about keeping eyes on the road or whatever.
My fiancé’s mother helped him get the car. She has some serious co-decency issues. She has mentioned exactly where the car is and where we go. Because her name is on the note does it make it right for her to spy on us? But you ask why one would not want this feature. I hope this kindly answers your question.

Does anyone know of another way to disconnect the antenna without having to tear the dash apart? Will this also effect the LTE service?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
My fiancé’s mother helped him get the car. She has some serious co-decency issues. She has mentioned exactly where the car is and where we go. Because her name is on the note does it make it right for her to spy on us? But you ask why one would not want this feature. I hope this kindly answers your question.

Does anyone know of another way to disconnect the antenna without having to tear the dash apart? Will this also effect the LTE service?
How is she finding out where the car is? Why did he need a co signer?
I"m not aware of a way to know without bugging onstar 24/7.

There are other brands he could have bought that don't have gps. He should have known about momma and thought about gps.

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
Just make a new OnStar account and change the vehicle over to that one. The OnStar reps will be more than capable of doing that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Big Brother is definitely watching everything we do, but he's keeping track of us through our cell phones. What more perfect way to keep track of us could there be besides our phones, by which we pay for the privelege of being tracked? I use a good VPN so they can't track my internet activity, but they probably have a backdoor into that, as well. The "My Chevrolet" app and OnStar even keeps track of and scores how good of a driver they think you are and rates you on it. Scary, indeed! "Every breath you take, every move you make, I'll be watching you."
They keep track of that info to pass along to some insurance companies that MIGHT offer a discount for driving like an adult. You're aware of that.I'm sure you're aware of at least 3 parameters they track, nighttime driving,how often over 80mph and how many emergency stops.It makes that very clear each monthly update.Full disclosure is always the best option when taking sides. Nothing scary about it.

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Aha, this is what I was looking for.

I think the GPS chip in the OnStar Module also "assists" in the GPS/maps functionality of our smartphones. My OnStar is now flashing red, and the Apple Maps, Waze, Google Maps, etc all are going haywire.

This all started yesterday, and the only thing that changed was that the OnStar light is red. When I disconnect my phone, the GPS goes back to normal, on the phone itself.

I'm just hoping that when I cancel OnStar it will fix this issue. My worry is that because there's already a problem with my care communicating with OnStar now, that when they cancel it, they won't be able to send the signal to disable it. I may be doing this in the near future...

·
Registered
533 Posts

I'm thinking Momma installed a tracking App on her baby boy's cell phone (which she probably also pays for). If this is truly the person you plan on marrying you better figure out how to control Ma-In-Law's Roll. Just sayin'

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
There are multiple ways to disable OnStar.

If her name is on the loan or registration that's why she can call OnStsr and ask where the car is.

If her name is on the title and it disappears from OnStar....She'll call the cops.

No you can't disable OnStar and still have wifi or LTE.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It doesn’t take a phone call. With the myChevrolet app you can connect directly to the car and find out where it is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
chadtn,

Thanks for the information. I've been wondering how to disconnect that darn thing. Definitely a pain to get out, but worth it.
Btw, I pulled the fuse and did indeed lose the bluetooth connectivity. Oddly, it was just for phone calls. Bluetooth connectivity to the stereo was unaffected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your instructions were fantastic. Was concerned about snapping something but all went well. Thank you.

2 Posts
What is the advantage of defeating OnStar?
If you steal the car and it has onstar they can track it’s exact location ans so can the owner through the Chevrolet app. My Brother took my car and wasn’t answering my calls so I got on the app and found out his exact location and Had someone to take me to get my car and it was exactly where ONSTAR’S location said it would be. So if you’re in a car illegally or without permission and you don’t want to be track you disconnect Onstar in all ways to try yourself in the car

2 Posts

I would definitely not like the fact of her being able to track my every move, but it would also give some peace of mind knowing that if It was stolen or you loaned it out and they kept it longer Then they were supposed to and weren’t answering your calls So you had no way to get a hold of them or find out where your car was. Then you just go to your app find a location and go get your car. I think that there’s a lot more pros than cons when it comes to Onstar

21 - 38 of 38 Posts