Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

How-To: Disassemble Radio To Program VIN

83996 Views 97 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  Blasirl
I have had some people ask me about reprogramming the VIN number in the radio, so I thought I would write a how to guide that explains how to disassemble the radio so that the chip can be reprogrammed.

For more information on upgrading to My Link, see this thread.
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-g...ck-dirty-mylink-upgrade-diy-gen-1-cruzes.html

Here is a thread on how I created the My Link wire harness to upgrade from the green screen
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-gen1-audio-electronics/196994-how-i-did-mylink-wire-harness.html

This is for the standard My Link radio. The navigation radio that is used in the Cruze is similar, but you will notice a couple minor differences.

NOTE: The electronics inside the radio are sensitive to static electricity. If you decide to do this project, it is important to take some precautions to avoid frying the electronics. It’s actually very simple, and here are a few helpful hints that should be good enough.
- Don’t wear wool or other materials that attract static electricity.
- Avoid rubbing yourself against the carpet flooring or fabric/nylon chairs while working on the radio.
- Work on a hard solid surface (i.e. not on the carpet floor or your bed)
- - When handling the PC boards, hold them by their edges and try not to touch any of the contacts or components on the boards.
- Ground yourself by touching something that is connected to a ground, such as the bare metal side of your desktop computer case while it is plugged into the wall but turned off. Re-ground yourself every time you move away from your desk and before each time that you touch any of the PC boards. If you are concerned, you can also purchase an anti-static wrist strap online that is designed to keep you grounded.
- Don’t set the PC boards down on anything that can conduct static, such as fabric, carpet or plastic.

Do this project at your own risk. There is always risk anytime you disassemble modern electronics, and I am not responsible for any damage caused by taking apart the radio.

Tools needed to dismantle radio:
- Small Phillips Screwdriver.
- Regular Phillips Screwdriver.
- Regular flat blade screw driver.

I will be referring to the sides of the radio. The top is the side that has the sticker label. The front is the side with the CD slot. The left side is the side with the heat sink and fan.

1- Start by removing the two black screws below the CD slot. These screws hold the front of the CD mechanism in place. You will need a smaller Phillips screwdriver to remove these.

2- Remove the 7 silver screws around the outside of the front panel. There are three on the right side, two on the top, and two on the left side. See photo below:

Product Technology Electronics Machine Electronic device

3- Remove the heat sink with the fan on the left side. To do this, first remove the 4 black screws. Then, remove the 2 silver screws in the middle of the heat sink. Then remove the silver screws next to the fan. After removing the screws, the heat sink will come off. If you carefully reach inside, you can unclip the fan plug from the PC board. Just pull up gently and it will unplug. Set the heat sink and fan aside. Do not remove the white grease that you see on the heat sink or the amplifier chip. This is necessary to properly transfer the heat. If you want, you can re-smear the grease around a little so that the chip makes good contact with the heat sink.

Product Electronics Technology Electronic device Radiator

4- Remove the front panel. To do this, put a flat blade screwdriver into the slots at the top of the radio between the front panel and the top panel . Then carefully pry the front panel forward about a quarter inch. Then, look for a small square hole on each side of the front panel. You will notice that there is a small tab inside (see the first photo above for location of the tabs). Slide the flat blade screw driver behind the front panel to unlock these tabs. Do this on both sides and the front panel will slide off.

Be careful when removing the front panel because there are some wires attached to it. One wire goes to the Bluetooth antenna on the front. The other is the CD control cable that is glued to the front panel. Carefully peel the CD ribbon cable from the front panel. The Bluetooth antenna wire will be removed in a few minutes. Lay down the front panel so that there is no tension on the wire to the Bluetooth antenna.

Electronics Technology Machine Electronic device

5- Next, separate the radio into two halves – top and bottom. To do this, remove 1 screw from the center of the right side. Then, remove the two screws on the back. Carefully lift up the top half of the radio and turn it so that you can see the Bluetooth antenna connector on the PC board.

6- Remove the Bluetooth antenna wire and the CD control cable. You will see where the Bluetooth antenna wire connects to the PC board. Use your fingernails and carefully lift up on the connector. The gold-plated connector will pop off. Then, slide the CD control cable out of its connector on the PC board. Just gently pull the cable out of the connector on the PC board. Set the front panel and the bottom half of the radio (with the CD mechanism) to the side.

Bluetooth antenna plug
Electronics Technology I/o card Electronic device Electronic engineering

CD Ribbon Cable
Electronics Technology Computer hardware Electronic device Electronic component

7- Remove the top PC board. Unscrew 4 screws that hold the top PC board in place. Two are toward the rear of the board. The other two are on the metal bracket at the front of the board. One connects the metal bracket to the bottom PC board. The other is on the outside of the case. Holding the edges of the board, gently pull up. The top board will unplug from the bottom board. Set the top board aside. Remember to hold the PC board by the edges and place it in a static safe area. See photo below:

Electronic engineering Electronics Electrical network Electronic component Circuit component

8- Remove the XM Radio. The XM radio is a small aluminum box on the side panel. To remove it, first, remove the ribbon cable from the PC board. To do this, carefully lift up on the sides of the connector. This will unlock the cable. Then, gently pull the cable out. Then unscrew 2 screws on the outside of the radio that hold the XM radio in place

Electronics Computer hardware Electronic engineering Technology Motherboard

XM Ribbon Cable Connector
Electronics Circuit component Electronic engineering Passive circuit component Electronic component

9- Remove the bottom board from the case. Unscrew 5 screws that hold the bottom board to the chassis. One is on the back of the chassis by the antenna connector. Carefully lift it out by the edges of the board and turn it over to see the chip that needs to be programmed. (See image in step 8 above for location of screws)

10. Program the chip

11. Reassemble the radio by doing everything above in reverse. When you place the top PC board back over the bottom board, make sure the connector between the two boards snaps back in place. You may need to gently press down on the board above the connector to get it to snap in place. Don’t push too hard so that you don’t break anything. When you get to the XM radio ribbon cable, slide the cable back into the connector and then push the locking bar back down. For the Bluetooth antenna, put the connector in place and gently push it down until it snaps on. For the CD ribbon cable, just slide it back into the connector. Make sure the ribbon cables go back into the connectors the same way you took them out so that they make connection.
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,181 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. I adapted this to my 2012 Chevy Sonic LT. After removing the satellite radio module, i was able to access the chip and change all the vin values to "00" in the left pane. I plugged it into the car and full operation. I had the mid-level radio installed from factory. Thank you again, saved $95 to have someone else do it. I ordered the programmer from Amazon:
AiTrip SOIC8 SOP8 Test Clip for EEPROM 93CXX 25CXX 24CXX + CH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash BIOS USB Programmer Module
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Sonic here.

· Registered
5 Posts
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Sonic here.
Hi,
Excuse me but I have a problem with my jack aux.
I replace my radio cruze LS to a radio cruze LT. I have reprogram my eeprom to update my VIN. My cruze haven't PDIM. Radio working but not jack aux. When I press the CD/aux button, there is a message: unit not found.
Do you know this problem?
Thanks.

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
Hi,
I replace my radio cruze LS to a radio cruze LT. I have reprogram my eeprom to update my VIN. My cruze haven't PDIM. Radio working but not jack aux. When I press the CD/aux button, there is a message: unit not found.
Thanks.
Maybe @StLouisCPhT can help you. I have not changed mine out yet. That is a much later project sitting in a box.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
Thanks.
I replaced my radio as well and have issues with my usb aux port. I have to plug my iPhone in 2-3, sometimes 4 times before my radio finally decides that there’s something plugged into it.

· Registered
7 Posts
With a little patience and a steady hand I was able to get my new radio programmed. Thank you SO MUCH for putting out this helpful information. You effectively saved me about $450 that my dealer quoted to fix my radio!
THANKS!!!!!
Mike
Mike, I have a 2016 cruze, same body style as the 2017 though. Just like you I'm trying to do this for a gen 2 cruze, but I'm struggling to identify the chip that I need to program.. How did u determine which chip was the correct one? Do you have any advice for how I might be able to find it?
Motherboard Electronics Computer component Technology I/o card

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
Mike, I have a 2016 cruze, same body style as the 2017 though. Just like you I'm trying to do this for a gen 2 cruze, but I'm struggling to identify the chip that I need to program.. How did u determine which chip was the correct one? Do you have any advice for how I might be able to find it?
Reposting the same question and the same pictures in multiple threads is not going to get you an answer any faster. Try starting/staying in your own thread and show what you have found.

· Registered
7 Posts
Reposting the same question and the same pictures in multiple threads is not going to get you an answer any faster. Try starting/staying in your own thread and show what you have found.
Yea I disagree Mr super moderator, but thanks for the useful comment. The threads were all relevant. Seems gen 2 ppl are outta luck on this issue. No resolution to be had.

· Registered
6 Posts
Been following this thread for a few months now and have decided to pull the trigger and order the parts I need. But first I have a few questions that I hope can be cleared up. First, I have a 2014 Cruze diesel with the non navigation MyLink system and I am wanting to add the Navigation system. My understanding is that I would need the radio, control panel and GPS antenna, nothing else for hardware, then I would need to flash the VIN with all 00's. My second question would be if the navigation radio from any 2014 Cruze would work or does it need to be the same model, in my case another diesel?

· Registered
7 Posts
StLouisCPhT also found that you only have to clear the VIN. (Make it "00" in the Hex portion.) When you power up the radio in it's new car, it will learn the car's VIN.
Just want to let u know u could of saved money an took needle nose pliers an pulled that prong off an it would of unlocked the radio thats what i did in my malibu same as the cruise radios but the malibus screens look better but thanks for the information you showed me where the prong was an i was able to repair my radio myself an not spend any money while doing so

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
Just want to let u know u could of saved money an took needle nose pliers an pulled that prong off an it would of unlocked the radio thats what i did in my malibu same as the cruise radios but the malibus screens look better but thanks for the information you showed me where the prong was an i was able to repair my radio myself an not spend any money while doing so
Can you point to the post that shows this prong?

· Registered
7 Posts
Can you point to the post that shows this prong?
heres a screen shot of it its easy to get to just follow this guys directions on taking it apart you are going to see black screws on the front of the radio dont take them out that holds the cd player part together i took them out on the original radio an it was a nightmare to get back together

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
heres a screen shot of it its easy to get to just follow this guys directions on taking it apart you are going to see black screws on the front of the radio dont take them out that holds the cd player part together i took them out on the original radio an it was a nightmare to get back together
I know where the chip is, I am interested in knowing where the prong you say to remove. Oh, and once you remove it, then what?

· Registered
7 Posts
My bad i called it a prong he called it a chip its that chip in the pic i had to buy a replacement radio an it said locked when i installed it chevy wanted $117 to reprogram an also wanted the vin from the car radio came out of an i didnt have the vin # so i removed that chip he showed an now the new radio works for me
I know where the chip is, I am interested in knowing where the prong you say to remove. Oh, and once you remove it, then what?

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
My bad i called it a prong he called it a chip its that chip in the pic i had to buy a replacement radio an it said locked when i installed it chevy wanted $117 to reprogram an also wanted the vin from the car radio came out of an i didnt have the vin # so i removed that chip he showed an now the new radio works for me
Removed and replaced or just plain unsoldered it?

· Registered
7 Posts
I just t
Removed and replaced or just plain unsoldered it?
I took needle nose pliers an pulled it off to bypass the locked radio because i done paid $50 for a replacement radio cuz the dealer ship wasnt going to help then. They wanted $117 to program it **** that in less than an hour i had a working radio by pulling that chip off i just figured id let others know because i was in a malibu fourm for about 2 weeks searching for help an found nothing then i seen this post and i know theres other people out there who would rather fix it theirselves for free

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
I just t

I took needle nose pliers an pulled it off to bypass the locked radio because i done paid $50 for a replacement radio cuz the dealer ship wasnt going to help then. They wanted $117 to program it **** that in less than an hour i had a working radio by pulling that chip off i just figured id let others know because i was in a malibu fourm for about 2 weeks searching for help an found nothing then i seen this post and i know theres other people out there who would rather fix it theirselves for free
Did you take a picture of the radio after you ripped out the chip?

61 - 80 of 98 Posts