Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

How-To: Disassemble Radio To Program VIN

83990 Views 97 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  Blasirl
I have had some people ask me about reprogramming the VIN number in the radio, so I thought I would write a how to guide that explains how to disassemble the radio so that the chip can be reprogrammed.

For more information on upgrading to My Link, see this thread.
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-g...ck-dirty-mylink-upgrade-diy-gen-1-cruzes.html

Here is a thread on how I created the My Link wire harness to upgrade from the green screen
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-gen1-audio-electronics/196994-how-i-did-mylink-wire-harness.html

This is for the standard My Link radio. The navigation radio that is used in the Cruze is similar, but you will notice a couple minor differences.

NOTE: The electronics inside the radio are sensitive to static electricity. If you decide to do this project, it is important to take some precautions to avoid frying the electronics. It’s actually very simple, and here are a few helpful hints that should be good enough.
- Don’t wear wool or other materials that attract static electricity.
- Avoid rubbing yourself against the carpet flooring or fabric/nylon chairs while working on the radio.
- Work on a hard solid surface (i.e. not on the carpet floor or your bed)
- - When handling the PC boards, hold them by their edges and try not to touch any of the contacts or components on the boards.
- Ground yourself by touching something that is connected to a ground, such as the bare metal side of your desktop computer case while it is plugged into the wall but turned off. Re-ground yourself every time you move away from your desk and before each time that you touch any of the PC boards. If you are concerned, you can also purchase an anti-static wrist strap online that is designed to keep you grounded.
- Don’t set the PC boards down on anything that can conduct static, such as fabric, carpet or plastic.

Do this project at your own risk. There is always risk anytime you disassemble modern electronics, and I am not responsible for any damage caused by taking apart the radio.

Tools needed to dismantle radio:
- Small Phillips Screwdriver.
- Regular Phillips Screwdriver.
- Regular flat blade screw driver.

I will be referring to the sides of the radio. The top is the side that has the sticker label. The front is the side with the CD slot. The left side is the side with the heat sink and fan.

1- Start by removing the two black screws below the CD slot. These screws hold the front of the CD mechanism in place. You will need a smaller Phillips screwdriver to remove these.

2- Remove the 7 silver screws around the outside of the front panel. There are three on the right side, two on the top, and two on the left side. See photo below:

Product Technology Electronics Machine Electronic device

3- Remove the heat sink with the fan on the left side. To do this, first remove the 4 black screws. Then, remove the 2 silver screws in the middle of the heat sink. Then remove the silver screws next to the fan. After removing the screws, the heat sink will come off. If you carefully reach inside, you can unclip the fan plug from the PC board. Just pull up gently and it will unplug. Set the heat sink and fan aside. Do not remove the white grease that you see on the heat sink or the amplifier chip. This is necessary to properly transfer the heat. If you want, you can re-smear the grease around a little so that the chip makes good contact with the heat sink.

Product Electronics Technology Electronic device Radiator

4- Remove the front panel. To do this, put a flat blade screwdriver into the slots at the top of the radio between the front panel and the top panel . Then carefully pry the front panel forward about a quarter inch. Then, look for a small square hole on each side of the front panel. You will notice that there is a small tab inside (see the first photo above for location of the tabs). Slide the flat blade screw driver behind the front panel to unlock these tabs. Do this on both sides and the front panel will slide off.

Be careful when removing the front panel because there are some wires attached to it. One wire goes to the Bluetooth antenna on the front. The other is the CD control cable that is glued to the front panel. Carefully peel the CD ribbon cable from the front panel. The Bluetooth antenna wire will be removed in a few minutes. Lay down the front panel so that there is no tension on the wire to the Bluetooth antenna.

Electronics Technology Machine Electronic device

5- Next, separate the radio into two halves – top and bottom. To do this, remove 1 screw from the center of the right side. Then, remove the two screws on the back. Carefully lift up the top half of the radio and turn it so that you can see the Bluetooth antenna connector on the PC board.

6- Remove the Bluetooth antenna wire and the CD control cable. You will see where the Bluetooth antenna wire connects to the PC board. Use your fingernails and carefully lift up on the connector. The gold-plated connector will pop off. Then, slide the CD control cable out of its connector on the PC board. Just gently pull the cable out of the connector on the PC board. Set the front panel and the bottom half of the radio (with the CD mechanism) to the side.

Bluetooth antenna plug
Electronics Technology I/o card Electronic device Electronic engineering

CD Ribbon Cable
Electronics Technology Computer hardware Electronic device Electronic component

7- Remove the top PC board. Unscrew 4 screws that hold the top PC board in place. Two are toward the rear of the board. The other two are on the metal bracket at the front of the board. One connects the metal bracket to the bottom PC board. The other is on the outside of the case. Holding the edges of the board, gently pull up. The top board will unplug from the bottom board. Set the top board aside. Remember to hold the PC board by the edges and place it in a static safe area. See photo below:

Electronic engineering Electronics Electrical network Electronic component Circuit component

8- Remove the XM Radio. The XM radio is a small aluminum box on the side panel. To remove it, first, remove the ribbon cable from the PC board. To do this, carefully lift up on the sides of the connector. This will unlock the cable. Then, gently pull the cable out. Then unscrew 2 screws on the outside of the radio that hold the XM radio in place

Electronics Computer hardware Electronic engineering Technology Motherboard

XM Ribbon Cable Connector
Electronics Circuit component Electronic engineering Passive circuit component Electronic component

9- Remove the bottom board from the case. Unscrew 5 screws that hold the bottom board to the chassis. One is on the back of the chassis by the antenna connector. Carefully lift it out by the edges of the board and turn it over to see the chip that needs to be programmed. (See image in step 8 above for location of screws)

10. Program the chip

11. Reassemble the radio by doing everything above in reverse. When you place the top PC board back over the bottom board, make sure the connector between the two boards snaps back in place. You may need to gently press down on the board above the connector to get it to snap in place. Don’t push too hard so that you don’t break anything. When you get to the XM radio ribbon cable, slide the cable back into the connector and then push the locking bar back down. For the Bluetooth antenna, put the connector in place and gently push it down until it snaps on. For the CD ribbon cable, just slide it back into the connector. Make sure the ribbon cables go back into the connectors the same way you took them out so that they make connection.
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Wow! Great info. Got any tutorials on how to add pre-amp outputs to the factory radios? Would be nice to not have to use a line out converter.
You can tap into the rear door speakers or the deck speakers i have a 2015 malibu that didnt have rear deck speakers so i tapped into the rear doors anyways you will need 2 rca y splitters i sent a screen shot of what it looks like then u cut the 2 female ends off an hook them into your speakerwire negative to negative positive to positive do that for both left an right side then hook your power wire to the positive battery cable an your negative ground wire to a ground on the car you can run your a jumper wire on your amp from battery to remote so u dont have to tap into anything but remember to unplug the remote wire when your not driving

· Registered
1 Posts
Mike, I have a 2016 cruze, same body style as the 2017 though. Just like you I'm trying to do this for a gen 2 cruze, but I'm struggling to identify the chip that I need to program.. How did u determine which chip was the correct one? Do you have any advice for how I might be able to find it? View attachment 287593 View attachment 287593
Maybe a little late, but my buddie's daughter has an 2018 Cruze and the same issue. Screen was black and radio wouldn't work. The post was very helpful getting me started. The radio has the exact circuit board as post above. At first, I had issues identifying the chip myself but after some research, I would the chip to be programmed. First, make sure you get a unit that has the same model/vehicle information.

The nice thing is, you don't have to take the whole unit apart to get to the chip. Just take the top cover off. Once the top cover is off, identify the chip to be programmed. The photo below has an arrow pointing to the EEPROM.

You might need a magnifying glass to identify the chip. Here is a zoomed in version: It's an ST 4256 EEPROM (32KB)

Now get the programmer ready: I bought the same one that was referenced in the earlier thread.

Attach the clip as shown. Notice the red stripe is pin 1:

Follow the earlier instruction about installing the driver and programming software. Worked for me.

Now it's time to plug in the programmer to the USB port and fire up the software. I had some issues at first but after running it as "administrator", problem went away. For reference, here is the EEPROM information:

After you plug in the programmer, select the right settings. I didn't find the ST version but AMTEL worked:

After you hit "read" you should get some hex numbers on your screen (not all 0). Scroll down and see if you can find your VIN. For safety, save the file if anything goes wrong.

Scroll down a few pages and you will see your VIN, in this case G1BE.....92. That is the one that needs to be reprogrammed/deleted. I read in earlier thread that you don't have to put in your VIN, just delete the one from the new unit. Goto line 000010D0 and start overwriting the VIN with 00 until its all gone (including next line with 4992).
Now hit "program" and the programmer will program the chip and verify it afterwards.
Unplug the USB port, reassemble the unit (put lid back on) and install the unit. Overwriting it with "0" is supposed to put it in learn mode after power up. That is exactly how it worked. Radio powered up right away, no complaint about VIN etc. and everything worked as expected. Thanks for all the work that was done prior to this. It help me out greatly to figure out what needed to be done. I hope that someone else now will be able to reprogram theirs based on the info provided above. BTW, I don't own a Chevy myself but figured I'd give back to the community that help me (my buddie's daughter). Good luck!

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, im new at forum, i just sold my 2010 Cruze radio but in the client car the radio were Locked, then i just found a video and this post to learn how to unlock, and bought the reader and clip and succeded in unlocking and clearing the VIN.

My radio was slight different from the one posted on first thread, the CHIP was different one also, EEPROM ISSI 412836LA3 on top of the board. on PCB it reads IC601
Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering

same as the other version.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Electronic component

Just registered to upload this photos for someone who has the same board and want to unlock his stereo. i replaced mine with an Android Tesla type, but i wanted my client go satisfied and with radio working.

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,181 Posts
Hi everyone, im new at forum, i just sold my 2010 Cruze radio but in the client car the radio were Locked, then i just found a video and this post to learn how to unlock, and bought the reader and clip and succeded in unlocking and clearing the VIN.

My radio was slight different from the one posted on first thread, the CHIP was different one also, EEPROM ISSI 412836LA3 on top of the board. on PCB it reads IC601 View attachment 294934
same as the other version.
View attachment 294933

Just registered to upload this photos for someone who has the same board and want to unlock his stereo. i replaced mine with an Android Tesla type, but i wanted my client go satisfied and with radio working.
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Thanks for posting this.

Don't forget to introduce yourself here.

· Registered
1 Posts
Great thread, I read the whole thing. I was trying to do this to a radio that was not from a Cruze, it was out of a 2014 GMC Savana 3500 van. It has been a few months since I last tried, but I cannot seem to locate the proper eeprom chip. Can anyone give advice on how to locate the proper chip?

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
Great thread, I read the whole thing. I was trying to do this to a radio that was not from a Cruze, it was out of a 2014 GMC Savana 3500 van. It has been a few months since I last tried, but I cannot seem to locate the proper eeprom chip. Can anyone give advice on how to locate the proper chip?
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Look for the eight legged spider and Google the part number.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

· Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to reply to an old post, but wanted to thank everyone involved for all the great information. I had to replace a defective mylink radio in my 2017 chevy equinox, and the dealer spent 3 hours trying, but could not get the VIN number changed. Using the info from this post (and a couple others here on CruzeTalk.com, I was able change the vin in the EEPROM and everything is working great. Thanks again for such a great resource.
I have a 2018 equinox that I need to replace the radio in. I think where I am getting confused at is I am confused about whether you program the eeprom chip on the new radio itself or the radio receiving under the passenger side dash. I don't understand why I would need to program the silver box that is already in my vehicle since it should already contain my correct vin number. I guess my question to you all is When I order my new radio, do I also have to order a new silver radio receiver as well? Any help is much appreciated, as my radio has been out for months and i have a 10 hr road trip next week so im trying to fix it before then.

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
Do you have to order a new radio and a new receiver or can I just order a new radio and program the radio itself to match my vin number?
Unless you have some weird new configuration, they are one and the same. You only need to program if you change the silver box. You need to change the silver box if you want to add or remove features like Navigation, rearview camera, or even just a plain MyLink if you have the green screen.

· Premium Member
7,546 Posts
If you're buying new, the VIN in the new module should be blank. Odds are it will program itself to the car's on power up. If you're buying used, then you have to worry about dealing with the VIN. At least that was my experience in swapping radios in my car.

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
after upgrade to from radio to intellilink p4 i have this screen i can't hide and the touch screen doesn't work any ideas ???
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

Find the radio manual for the installed radio and locate the section allowing you to change the language. It says "Inattentive driving can lead to an accident and have serious consequences for you and other road users.
Therefore, please send your full ... " The rest is on the next page.

· Premium Member
7,546 Posts
after upgrade to from radio to intellilink p4 i have this screen i can't hide and the touch screen doesn't work any ideas ???
What year Cruze is that? I'm guessing that's a Gen 2, but this is a Gen 1 section. I'm not trying to kick you out, but you'd have better luck in the right place.

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
81 - 98 of 98 Posts