Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, let me start off by pointing out that I got this idea from another forum. In any case, these tail lights are a pain in the ass to take out. Here's how to do it the easy way.

1. Get yourself a thin (not paper towel thin, but thinner than a bathroom towel) towel. I used a microfiber one that i normally use to dry the car, thin, absorbent, and fairly large.

2. Open the trunk, pop off the two small covers to reveal the main screws holding the light assembly in place. Remove the screws.

3. Wiggle the light a little bit to loosen it up.

4. Slide the towel between the light assembly and the car body. I usually begin at the large end of the light (the one closes to the trunk) and shimmy it down towards the pointing tip like so:

IMG_1107.jpg IMG_1108.jpg

5. Make sure it's in there good as it can slide out if its not far enough in (keep your head out of the gutter there)...

6. Pull the towel back like this:

IMG_1109.jpg

7. Get close to the car so you don't fly back when you pull, and so you don't yank out the entire wiring harness and all if your do.

8. Pull on the towel hard and straight back. You really gotta put some muscle into it, they're in there pretty good held by 2 grommets. Don't worry, they won't break.

9. Done.

Putting it back is pretty simple and straight forward. Just align it in place and give it a little push. You'll hear the grommets pop into place. Don't forget to put the screws back in when you're done.

If anyone has any better method feel free to share it. I tried just about everything else though and couldn't get them off, way too slippery even with rubber gloves. I tried jiggling them like a mad man too and all i ended up doing was gouging the paint where the grey plastic meets the trunk next to the screws.
Good luck out there!

CHUV

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Other forum as in other thread in this forum? :p

So what are we prepping for chuvs?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no it was someone on chevrolet cruze forum. Haven't joined there, this place is much nicer ;)

but shhhhhh, don't tell them that!

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Yeah I think I checked there and Cruze chat and both were quieter than the library.
Wonder if it be rude to post links to here on those sites? Makes more sense to just have one forum...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks!!! I was trying to get it off to tap into the reverse light for a back up camera. looked in the manual ... take out screws and pull straight back. well i gave up since i could not for the life of me get that stupid think off and was thinking there was another screw. Thanks for the tip!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my lights out last night using this method and it works perfectly. I made sure I was wearing soft clothes so that nothing could scratch the paint or the light. I also put my thigh against the light, while holding the towel tight, and moved my whole body back. This allowed me to use my weight to pull the light out and the light had no chance of flying out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just found that if you get one of those plastic wedges used for scratchless fastener removals it works MUCH better than the towel.
I tried the towel for 10 minutes, couldn't get it under. So this is how it worked for me...

Unscrew the screws by the trunklid
Wedge the small flat tapered fastener tool under the "point" of the taillight on the side of the car (closest to the front of car)
Get it in there pretty good so it stays without you holding it, easy to do with minimal force
Grab the main part of the light (where the screws are) with both hands, give one good pull, and it pops right out.

I was amazed at how easy this was. Literally had the other side out in two minutes.
Hope this works - it was an experiment, as I had just gotten those clip removal tools today :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you don't have a clip removal tool, a plastic paint can lid pouring lip works quite nicely. Just slide the thin side of the pouring lip under the pointed end of the tail light housing, until it is firmly wedged, and then either pull firmly, or gently pry with pressure under the area where the two screws came out. Mine popped right out, no problem.
Thanks for all the help, guys, I love this forum!
If it wasn't for this thread, I would still be trying to get that housing off! and probably would have broken something by now!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been lookng everywhere to help me get these lights off. I'm going to have to use the 'towel' method here. I will be installing an optical projector LED light reverse light this week. =)

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I didn't have to use the towel method, I pulled straight down on mine on the corner, then pulled straight up. Repeat over until it wiggled out no problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts