Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read on here that you can unfortunately install a new harmonic balancer in a 180 degrees from its original position. I unfortunately did not line up my markings before I pulled the bloody thing off. So I basically took the spark plug out of number 1 put a socket extension in it and turned the crankshaft until it went up to the most top position.. I put the harmonic balancer back on, but now I am unsure that it is on right and is true dead center... Is there a easy way to see that I have done this right and if i haven't what are the signs that it is out 180 degrees ??. TIA

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
From my understanding and looking at my manual, the 180* alignment is simply so you know which cylinder is at top dead center when the balancer alignment hole matches the alignment marking on the front of the engine. If it is installed 180* out of rotation you'll simply have a different cylinder at top dead center when the alignment markings line up compared to what it would be from the factory. The hexagonal key is symmetrical with the two flats the balancer slides onto, so it wouldn't necessarily effect the oil pump either.

With regards to "true dead center", there are only two ways the balancer can go on. The correct way, and 180* out of rotation. Either you have it on correctly, or a different cylinder will be TDC than what is expected. If you know cylinder 1 was TDC when you put it back on and aligned the markings then I would call it good.

And for the record, my manual does not say which cylinder is TDC when the markings are aligned. It simply says align them before pulling it off, and align them putting the new one on.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
1 and 4 cylinders will both be TDC. 2 and 3 would be the other TDC. Unless Engineering managed to redesign the crankshaft for a different firing order.

I don't know about the intallation process. But my guess is if you have 2 notches and can install one way or the other. ONLY. 180 degrees apart. The car either runs or it don't.

I could be wrong in all this. But there should be 2 marks close together. 1 for TDC. That aligns up with some mark. The other triggers the crank angle sensor. So the computer knows where #1 is in relation to the firing order. So if you installed the wrong way. The #1 trigger point will be on the wrong cylinder. It'll be on 2 and 3.

The firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2. Unless engineering changed.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I could be wrong in all this. But there should be 2 marks close together. 1 for TDC. That aligns up with some mark. The other triggers the crank angle sensor. So the computer knows where #1 is in relation to the firing order. So if you installed the wrong way. The #1 trigger point will be on the wrong cylinder. It'll be on 2 and 3.
Can you clarify this? As far as I'm aware, from my manual and online photos, there is no marking on the balancer that a sensor would read. The crankshaft position sensor is on the opposite side of the engine from the balancer. The balancer simply balances out the vibrations and drives the belt. Installing it 180 degrees rotated would just mean the alignment marks don't represent TDC, the computer doesn't use anything from the balancer to determine firing order.

Are you perhaps thinking of a different engine?

Additionally, if it is backwards, the engine will still run, you just won't be able to use the alignment markings anymore to find cylinder 1 TDC.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car is still running ok. So I guess I got it right.. It looks like I am going to have to replace the Cam cover as I think the PCV valve is bad. Oil seems to be leaking from the front ctrank case seal but I have changed it so who knows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts