Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,033 Posts
I guess my first question is whether these are the same quality filters as OEM TP1003 with water repellent element or cheap imitation??

Rock lists the TP1015 for $21.79 and Amazon has it listed for $30.19 but it is not list under the 2015 Cruze CTD listings at this time.

ACDELCO TP1015 Fuel Filter | RockAuto

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-TP10...automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive
Given that the TP1015 is a MANN, I'm going to say it's the same filter as the OEM - which is also made by MANN.

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Part Update

Just did my fuel filter at 70,000 miles. Not sure when it was last changed (not orig owner) but based on the DIC it had 67% remaining on filter life. Looked pretty dirty to me, but then again diesel fuel isn't exactly super clean.

Anyway, job went easily (30 minutes). Recommend using ramps just for clearance. 10mm deep and 18mm deep as specified. The larger filter nut is likely a 1-3/8" or 1-7/16". My 1-1/4" was too small and the 1-1/2" fit very loosely so I used a large adjustable wrench with my free hand holding the filter (mount flexes a lot, appears weak).

Only strange thing was the difference between the old and new filter styles. The old one had several protruding 'clips' molded into the bottom. The new one didn't have the clips. Threw me for a loop but after comparing part numbers I was certain I had the correct part.

Turns out the new design 'clicks' into place even without the old-style molded clips. Feels secure and as designed. Box shows GM #23456595 but filter inside shows GM #23459023. Both old and new filters are Mann, made in Czech Republic. AC Delco part #TP1003.

So just a heads up about the new fuel filter design in case you come across it, not to worry.

Thanks to @diesel and everyone else here who've contributed and made the job a piece of cake.

Auto part Air intake part Filter Oil filter Cylinder
Auto part Muffler
Cameras & optics Auto part Lens Camera lens

· Registered
18 Posts
If you think you have a power loss problems after doing this, make sure you release the air from the filter housing. I thought my CTD had a turbo issue because it made less torque but it’s because there was air in the filter housing and my engine was running really really lean.
To do this just idle you me engine and loosen the drain plug until there’s a smooth stream of fuel. I don’t think this is a requirement but if you get air it does help

· Registered
18 Posts
If you think you have a power loss problems after doing this, make sure you release the air from the filter housing. I thought my CTD had a turbo issue because it made less torque but it’s because there was air in the filter housing and my engine was running really really lean.
To do this just idle you me engine and loosen the drain plug until there’s a smooth stream of fuel. I don’t think this is a requirement but if you get air it does help
@pacolino told me this on a thread that I started about power loss.

· Premium Member
12 Posts
too much flex

HELLO FELLOW DIESEL CRUZES.

I have encountered my first real issue with my diesel since buying new. I've noticed that when changing the fuel filter there has been an increasing amount of play between the filter housing and the mounting bracket; it just slides down into its mounting position. Yesterday I went to replace my filer for the 3rd o 4t time and this time there was so much play between the two items that when torque was applied to remove the lower filter housing, the entire filter assembly an mounting bracket flexed so much that the entire assembly came out of the bracket. Has anybody else encountered this issue? It looks like the mount is plastic and that it's either glued, melted or otherwise attached to another piece of plastic. One course of action would be to CNC fabricate a metal reinforcement to slide between the two surfaces to eliminate the space between the surfaces and also to eliminate the flex...... aftermarket filter housings are all plastic and to reverse engineer one to be made out of billet aluminum may be more than I'm capable of doing. trying to solve this before my next filter change..... I've also thought about just letting the dealerships deal with it, but a $200 filter change is just not justifiable to me when the filter is $60 and takes less than a hour to change, minus my current complication.

CHEVYGUY75.......

· Registered
2,977 Posts
HELLO FELLOW DIESEL CRUZES.

I have encountered my first real issue with my diesel since buying new. I've noticed that when changing the fuel filter there has been an increasing amount of play between the filter housing and the mounting bracket; it just slides down into its mounting position. Yesterday I went to replace my filer for the 3rd o 4t time and this time there was so much play between the two items that when torque was applied to remove the lower filter housing, the entire filter assembly an mounting bracket flexed so much that the entire assembly came out of the bracket. Has anybody else encountered this issue? It looks like the mount is plastic and that it's either glued, melted or otherwise attached to another piece of plastic. One course of action would be to CNC fabricate a metal reinforcement to slide between the two surfaces to eliminate the space between the surfaces and also to eliminate the flex...... aftermarket filter housings are all plastic and to reverse engineer one to be made out of billet aluminum may be more than I'm capable of doing. trying to solve this before my next filter change..... I've also thought about just letting the dealerships deal with it, but a $200 filter change is just not justifiable to me when the filter is $60 and takes less than a hour to change, minus my current complication.

CHEVYGUY75.......
as i said in your other thread, filters arent $60 anymore

· Registered
85 Posts
Does everyone run the AC Delco Diesel filter or is there a better one out there?

· Site Sponsor
103 Posts
Does everyone run the AC Delco Diesel filter or is there a better one out there?
I have been running the Mann-Filter version. The ACDelco filter is made by Mann so there is no difference in performance.

Reactions: MRO1791

· COTM Winner
7,033 Posts
I have been running the Mann-Filter version. The ACDelco filter is made by Mann so there is no difference in performance.
I'm pretty sure it's the exact same part - Mann did the development of the OEM part - what's the cost difference?

· Registered
85 Posts
You guys have a part number for that. Couldn't find it on their website

· Registered
85 Posts
I actually found the Acdelco filter on Amazon for $25 alot less than the $40 at Oreilly or auto zone

· Site Sponsor
103 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's the exact same part - Mann did the development of the OEM part - what's the cost difference?
It seems to be about a few dollars cheaper. Like you said there is no difference so I will take the savings.

You guys have a part number for that. Couldn't find it on their website

PU9012Z fits Gen1 and Gen2

· Registered
1,088 Posts
During my recent filter change the cap would not come off (prior change was not a problem), and the entire housing came off the plastic mount. It appears the housing has swelled, or shrunk.. it's just too tight to remove on the car (it pops out of it's plastic mount on the fuel tank). I had to remove the entire assembly, put it in a vice to get it off, and it was still tricky. In the attempt to restrain it under the car with a strap wrench, managed to crack one of the mounding "wings" and had to plastic weld repair that. The new filter went in, and it was difficult to tighten as well, the housing appears to be excessively tight. I even used some slick Teflon grease, and still too tight. I looked at the cost of a new filter housing, about $140, but the Gen 2 housing (Same filter), and only slightly different shape on the cap, was on amazon for $27, I ordered one of the Gen 2 housings, and it will go in next time I need to change that filter.

Gen 2 housing (AC Delco TP1017): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078TNDR71/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gen 1 housing (AC Delco TP998):

Reactions: Rivergoer

· Premium Member
2015 CTD
510 Posts
Did this today. Easy job. Takes longer to get the car jacked up and remove the big panel.

What pisses me off is I just bought this car a few months ago and the car fax says that at 30k the dealer changed the oil and fuel filter then put it up for sale.

The oil drain chute thing and the filter just didn't look like it had been done in awhile. Car fax showed February 19 as last oil change. Needless to say I changed it.

So I got to thinking about the fuel filter. Same thing. No way that thing was changed in September. It has 4 years and 35k miles on it.

I feel sorry for people who are at the mercy of car mechanics. I know most are good.

· Registered
2,977 Posts
Did this today. Easy job. Takes longer to get the car jacked up and remove the big panel.

What pisses me off is I just bought this car a few months ago and the car fax says that at 30k the dealer changed the oil and fuel filter then put it up for sale.

The oil drain chute thing and the filter just didn't look like it had been done in awhile. Car fax showed February 19 as last oil change. Needless to say I changed it.

So I got to thinking about the fuel filter. Same thing. No way that thing was changed in September. It has 4 years and 35k miles on it.

I feel sorry for people who are at the mercy of car mechanics. I know most are good.
carfax has never been thought of as reliable.

· Premium Member
2015 CTD
510 Posts
carfax has never been thought of as reliable.

True, but you would think at a minimum, a large Chevrolet dealer in Seymour Indiana would have done what they said they did when they entered it into the vehicles history report. That is fraud.

The cars whole service history was done at that dealer, including selling it as new.

I can't complain too much though, I got a killer deal.

To stay on topic it really is an easy job.

· COTM Winner
7,033 Posts
How can you tell it wasn't done?

· Premium Member
2015 CTD
510 Posts
How can you tell it wasn't done?
The fuel filter was way to dusty for a 2 month change.

I literally was the only person to test drive it. Traded in and bought the same week, within days of the so called services. I'm convinced it was just a reset of the oil and fuel filter counters.

That fuel filter is well protected from the environment so no way that much dust on it other than since new.

The oil filter area didn't have any evidence of being drained recently. Any residual oil, the various places it goes when changing, had way too much dust and dirt clinging to it. The filter housing also was fairly dusty also for a recent change. I could be wrong about this but if I am it was a very diligent oil changer that somehow changed the filter without getting any oil on it and not disturbing the dirt that accumulates on filter housings between oil changes.

The real kicker is the oil was really dirty black for only having a few hundred miles. The car has since had about 1,000 miles since I changed it. It is dirtier than a gas engine but clean compared to the so called dealers oil change with far less miles.

· Registered
2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel “49000 miles”
55 Posts
How do you
how do you purge air from the filter housing, your comment has broken English so I’m having a hard time understanding your point. Thanks

121 - 140 of 144 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.