Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
441 - 460 of 466 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Only reason to turn it off is if you get into deep enough snow that you need to spin to get through it. I never turn mine off

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
15 Posts
b. using higher octane fuel. Its useless and will not improve your fuel economy unless you're boosted or your car has a higher static compression from the factory (e.g. Northstar v8). This applies to the 1.8l, but not the 1.4l turbo in the cruze. The 1.4l turbo motor benefits from higher octane fuel.
what?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
What part requires clarification? The 1.8 doesn't really benefit from higher octane fuel. The 1.4 Turbo does.
Actually the 1.8 does benefit from higher octane. When I put 91 in my son's car (I can't get 89 at the local Safeway) he gets better fuel economy simply because the car has more low RPM torque. He shifts at a lower RPM as a result.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was getting about 37 on the hwy during trips..(1.4 T) Now, all of a sudden I'm at 28. 6,800 miles on the 2014 Cruze. No check engine light, no obvious problems. Dealer says they can't find anything wrong. I've had no change in driving habits, I use premium 92 octane, and I'm frustrated. Any ideas?? Also, I have gotten as good as 40 mpg on some trips...when I say trips I mean like 2 hour trips or more on the interstate, very little city type driving. My last tip was about 590 miles round trip with probably 90% highway miles. (averages 29.1 mpg)

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Anything below 40F will drop your fuel economy. I've never seen a 33% drop except when there's a lot of snow on the roads but my ECO MT drops about 20% in the winter if I'm not careful.

·
10,712 Posts
2 remote starts, idle and winter gas mix will drop your economy. Also these cold temps are doing wonders for the tune so my MPG hit will be from that as I don't have remote start or run my car longer than it takes to pick the music I want and turn on Bluetooth.

·
Registered
39 Posts
good post and good tips! I am a gear head so i do most of what you recommended anyway. my wife drives the cruze as a DD to work ect, about 23 miles round trip mix highway and city she has been getting 31-33 MPG on 87 with the 1.8 in and manual car. I feel like this is on par for the way the car was built. if we take long trips we see high 30s because i always end up driving like 70+ on the highway.

thanks for the impute.:goodjob:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hilly roads make pretty large impacted on me. I average 37.6mpgs consistently using 89 fuel and 93 when its not 40cents more a gallon (just how it is around here), which is about 1/3 of the time. That is based on 5,000 miles+
Since it has started getting cold my tank average has dropped down to 29-32 and pulled the 37.6 down to 37.2 by 6,5XX miles. Temperature being the ONLY changed factor. Mine is also a 2014 2LT 1.4T only mod being an injen CAI. now 24,000 miles. Because of primarily the turbo and partial my CAI the effect is compounded. The colder air is more dense so it compresses MUCH better.
Based souly on the audible spooling and bov I would say it's making more boost, though I have not yet installed a boost gauge to observe this. More air = more fuel, the car responds better for sure as it likes the cold air for making better power and running efficiently. That being said, next time your out give it some gas and see how it responds, then compare that to the same test during a little bit colder time, and compare the results.
Colder = worse mpg, better power
Warmer= better mpg, little bit less power/ maybe response
If you get other funky results something might be wrong, but if that^ happens, your fine. I have observed this in my ecotec 02/03 2.2 alero X2, v6 alero, 98 4.6 mustang, and 04 GTO. The cruze is defiantly most effected (because of the turbo), the GTO saw 2-4 less, it required at least 91 octain fuel. Less effect on the others, but with all of them CAI made a greater impact vs factory intake.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Keep rolling resistance in mind too.....some you can't change such as thick bearing grease and lubricants, but one you can keep up with....tire pressure.
You lose 1psi with every seven degree drop in temperature.....these little high mileage engines see that load and mileage drops accordingly.

Same as your bicycle.....pedals lots easier when the tires are aired up to spec.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
You lose 1psi with every seven degree drop in temperature.....these little high mileage engines see that load and mileage drops accordingly.
My MPG had dropped slightly over the last few months. Checked my tire PSI in the morning at 32F outside, was only at 29 when cold. Pumped up to 37PSI cold and picked up 3-4MPG on my next few tanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in Canada and have the same wild temperature swings. I also get about the same mileage you do. 22 city and 35 highway. Either these guys are running the eco model or they reset the trip computer after they are moving. Even the US EPA tested these cats at 23 and 35.
I feel the same way. my best to date is 37.8. REALLY trying for best mpg. last week I got 36.9 calculated hand calculated. 500 mile tank 72 mph free way stop and go Chicago rush hour avg speed 48.5

·
Registered
589 Posts
Done a little test this week, I've not been in a hurry to get back and forth from work and have been keeping it at 65. I've seen an increase of over 10% in my fuel economy! Nice but I don't think I can do that long term, not to mention I've almost been run over several times now! The stretch of interstate 64 I use is dangerous! Normal speed out there is between 80-90mph.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can you please site where this info in your article is from. I believe I understand the concept, however I have not seen this info anywhere else, as I too am on a couple of other fuel economy forums. When I do leave the trans in gear as I coast to a stop, I still hear engine noise as if the is still running... Thank you.

F. Have a Manual Transmission? Keep the transmission in gear while coasting to a stop. So long as you're above idle, the engine will actually shut off the fuel injectors and allow the transmission to turn the motor over, using zero fuel. While automatics will also do this, you have greater control with the manual. Don't put it in neutral when coming to a stop, leave it in gear until your RPM drops low enough to need to shift out of a gear.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,537 Posts
Can you please site where this info in your article is from. I believe I understand the concept, however I have not seen this info anywhere else, as I too am on a couple of other fuel economy forums. When I do leave the trans in gear as I coast to a stop, I still hear engine noise as if the is still running... Thank you.

F. Have a Manual Transmission? Keep the transmission in gear while coasting to a stop. So long as you're above idle, the engine will actually shut off the fuel injectors and allow the transmission to turn the motor over, using zero fuel. While automatics will also do this, you have greater control with the manual. Don't put it in neutral when coming to a stop, leave it in gear until your RPM drops low enough to need to shift out of a gear.
The engine *is* still spinning...it just cuts off fuel injectors, so it's basically a giant air pump only. Letting the engine speed fall back to idle (or below 1500 RPM) turns the fuel injectors back on, and it starts using fuel again while coasting.

Please explain DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off) - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Ridge riding...Or hugging the white line. I never really realized how much it helps until I started driving my wife's old explorer. Not only does it help for avoiding the water in the worn in areas of the road when it rains but also keeps you a bit out of the so to say slip stream of oncoming traffic. Particularly semi's which pack quite a wallop on the instant mpg reading from torque app. Just thought I would throw that out there. That and this thread needed a bump back up in the active list. More people need to learn how to drive efficiently.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Great article. Now I have much better understanding on how it works and when best to use.... Cant wait to try and see what the results are.

Please explain DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off) - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
DFCO in the gen 1 Cruze kicks in after 2 seconds (ECO) or 4 seconds (all other trims) if the engine speed is above 1500 RPM and no throttle is requested (right foot or cruise control) during this time period. It cuts out when you push the throttle, brake, clutch, or the engine speed drops below 1250 RPM. In the Cruze you can see it by switching to Metric and watching the instant fuel economy indicator. 0.0 L/100KM indicates DFCO.

441 - 460 of 466 Posts