Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
61 - 80 of 466 Posts

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I would happily fill up with 93 if I knew it had less ethanol content. Anyone know if that is the case? I live in Michigan.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Depends on the pump you go to. I've heard that higher grades have less ethanol, but don't quote me on that. I'd run 93 anyway if I were you as the fuel economy gained more than covers the added expense.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Here's another tip - when you visit a fast food restaurant, don't use the drive thru. Why run the engine at 0MPH when ordering and waiting? I have found that most fast food restaurants are just as fast inside as out. In addition, you can't use the bathroom from the drive thru lane.

Also, what does "FAS" mean? I saw it in several posts and couldn't figure it out.
Yep, reduce the amount of useless idling. You're getting 0 mpg doing that, w/the ICE uselessly idling away.

FAS = Forced Auto Stop aka shutting off your engine. I think it makes perfect sense to FAS a non-hybrid while pulling forward into a parking spot, esp. one where you'll be facing outwards. That's better than leaving it running, stopping, shifting to park and then shutting off the engine that 99.9% of automatic drivers do.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
For those who may be concerned about the safety of inflating your tires to maximum sidewall pressure or that uneven tire wear may occur, I'd like to present a few points. A. radial tires are built such that they will maintain an identical footprint on the road with regard to wear regardless of tire pressure unless you severely exceed maximum sidewall recommendation. B. the NHTSA has proven that stopping distance is negligible or nonexistent going from 20psi to 35psi, which is a far greater change in road surface contact than going from 35psi to 50psi.

1. Braking Distance (in feet) from NHTSA testing
      Stopping Distance from 60 mph

Surface15 psi20 psi25 psi30 psi35 psi
      Wet Concrete148.8147.5145.9144.3146.5
      Dry Concrete142.0143.0140.5140.4139.8
      Wet Asphalt158.5158.6162.6161.2158.0
      Dry Asphalt144.0143.9146.5148.2144.0

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
what behavioral techniques? I drive like a great grandma and mpg still blows.
29.6mpg average with what you report as 50/50 driving with a Cruze Auto? How does that blow? If you want to get the kind of numbers people with Cruze Eco MTs are averaging, go buy a Cruze Eco MT. Till then, I'm not seeing where the problem exists. We've tried to help you, but you don't seem to be very receptive to help. Instead, you repeatedly complain that your gas mileage sucks. Everyone is reporting notable increases in fuel economy using the methods I described in the initial post.

I'd love to help you, I really would, but your attitude doesn't seem to be one of someone asking for help, but one who is either disgruntled and hates his car, or one who had unrealistic expectations and is irritated that the car doesn't meet those.

PM me your exact route per google maps and give me a detailed run-down of where you drove, how fast you went, how much idling time you had, and what your average speed is according to the DIC over the past fill-up I can help you figure out why your fuel economy isn't as great as you expected it to be.

In the meantime, have you taken any of the advice we gave you in the last few pages?

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
what behavioral techniques? I drive like a great grandma and mpg still blows.
Same here, BUT if I was getting 29.6 MPGs, I'd be thrilled! That's about my AVERAGE SPEED, but NOT my mileage!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the informative thread!!! :goodjob:

I've averaging 33.4 out of my 2k12 automatic LS (just over 4k miles, probably 90-ish% highway/interstate driving), and I'm rather pleased with that!
I've been putting 87 octane Top Tier gas (except twice while on a 900-ish mile road trip and worried I was too low to go further to find one), and about 4-5 fluid ounces of LucasOil Upper Cylinder Lubricant and Injector Cleaner in at every fill-up.
I've done ZERO mods, and my tires are probably a little under-inflated (possibly thanks to the crazy fluctuating temps we've have here in New England).
Shoot, if I didn't pound on it a little during my test drive, which kinda tanked the fuel economy on my first tank, my average would actually be even BETTER (and it's only gonna get better once the weather stays warmer)!

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Just a note, I run 93 octane, tried 89 last tank but ran back asap to 93. Also no mods here, average inflated tires.
Try kicking your tires up to 40psi. Past that, I won't be able to help you without knowing more details.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wrote this up for another forum I'm on and figured it would be a good basic write-up for this community as well.

C. Driving significantly under the speed limit or accelerating like you were down a few cylinders. This makes you a road hazard. Drive the speed limit or 5 over (that's what they teach kids in my area) unless you expect to come to a complete stop or are approaching a small hill.
Just trying to get something straight. I am unfortunately driving a 92 isuzu pickup right now. I have found that it does best between 60 and 65. Anything over 65 and the engine is working really hard. I'm constantly on the highway and everyone else does 80 here. This last week I noticed a huge increase in gas mileage for doing 60 instead of 65-70. Do you think I should do 65-70 in spite of the savings I realized? Obviously I need to get a Cruze, but for the time being, what's my best option?

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Just trying to get something straight. I am unfortunately driving a 92 isuzu pickup right now. I have found that it does best between 60 and 65. Anything over 65 and the engine is working really hard. I'm constantly on the highway and everyone else does 80 here. This last week I noticed a huge increase in gas mileage for doing 60 instead of 65-70. Do you think I should do 65-70 in spite of the savings I realized? Obviously I need to get a Cruze, but for the time being, what's my best option?
If you have the time and you aren't being a hazard on the road, go 60. I specified 65-70 because its something that most people will be able to do and presents a decent compromise. If you go 60 though, you're going 20mph under what most other people are going, which may be problematic.

On our highways, I usually stick to around 62-65 as the speed limit is 55-65 anyway and I still have people passing me.

·
Contest Manager
2,251 Posts
I was following your tire pressure discussion on the "bypass res" thread and I decided to increase my pressure from 40 to 49 cold. My tires are 51psi max.

I drove it around for about 10 min just to warm up the air and see how much the psi will rise to. the car seemed a lil firmer in corners.

I'm going to finish up this tank (1/2) and go a full tank and see what numbers I can get.

Sent from iPhone 4

·
Registered
644 Posts
29.6mpg average with what you report as 50/50 driving with a Cruze Auto? How does that blow? If you want to get the kind of numbers people with Cruze Eco MTs are averaging, go buy a Cruze Eco MT. Till then, I'm not seeing where the problem exists. We've tried to help you, but you don't seem to be very receptive to help. Instead, you repeatedly complain that your gas mileage sucks. Everyone is reporting notable increases in fuel economy using the methods I described in the initial post.

I'd love to help you, I really would, but your attitude doesn't seem to be one of someone asking for help, but one who is either disgruntled and hates his car, or one who had unrealistic expectations and is irritated that the car doesn't meet those.

PM me your exact route per google maps and give me a detailed run-down of where you drove, how fast you went, how much idling time you had, and what your average speed is according to the DIC over the past fill-up I can help you figure out why your fuel economy isn't as great as you expected it to be.

In the meantime, have you taken any of the advice we gave you in the last few pages?
Honestly, other than checking mechanical stuff, I already practice the behavioral techniques, I have kept the maintenance up on my vehicle. I drive like 85-90% highway, very little city. To be honest, I did notice a large increase in mpg when I first started using the techniques you posted, though I found them elsewhere, I was averaging 25mpg. I guess I figure something's wrong if I paid for a car with better mileage but didn't get it. I'd be happy with 33-34 mpg even though it's less than advertised. I'll pm you my daily route to work.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I was following your tire pressure discussion on the "bypass res" thread and I decided to increase my pressure from 40 to 49 cold. My tires are 51psi max.

I drove it around for about 10 min just to warm up the air and see how much the psi will rise to. the car seemed a lil firmer in corners.

I'm going to finish up this tank (1/2) and go a full tank and see what numbers I can get.

Sent from iPhone 4
I'm really looking forward to hearing what you end up getting.

The firmer cornering is one thing I definitely enjoy as an unexpected consequence of increasing tire pressure. It feels much more solid and confident around the corners as the tires don't flex and roll as much.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I'd be happy with 33-34 mpg even though it's less than advertised. I'll pm you my daily route to work.
My last tank was 32.5 MPG with 45% city driving (my average speed for the entire duration of the tank was only ~40 mph). The tune helps a bit because of less boost and lower coolant temp. Also, what fuel are you using? I swear by Sunoco and Shell. It just seems so hard to believe people who claim to have the same driving habits can have such vastly different numbers -_-. Even when I was stock, I reached 37 MPG on a 100% highway trip hand calculated. So I don't know what the explanation is. And I guarentee you our vehicles are identical under the hood!

Also, how many miles do you have? Mine didn't start really start peaking until 10,000 miles in.

61 - 80 of 466 Posts