Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

How to get more pedal resistance?

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  ProDigit 
#1 ·
So, when driving in a traffic jam, I feel like I constantly need to lift my foot up. It never feels balanced.
The brakes too, I feel so little resistance in pushing the pedal to where the brakes start gripping.

Is there a way to adjust a spring setting, or make it feel heavier (meaning, needing me to press the pedal down a bit harder to get it in the same position)?

#4 ·
ProDigit, did you come from a Subaru? I ask because it sounds like you want more pedal resistance.

#5 ·
Nobody wants a stiffer brake pedal. :)

And the only thing i might suggest. And i don't know if it's possible. Is to disconnect the vacuum boost hose and plug it off.

Like i said. Don't know of it's possible on todays cars. My cruze is new so i haven't even opened the hood to see what power brakes it has.

What year is your car??

#6 · (Edited)
No, I want a stiffer accelerator pedal.
The brake pedal is ok, although a stiffer brake pedal might be a good thing too.
actually I find the brake pedal a bit too responsive.
But the accelerator, my shinbone muscles are getting sore from having to keep my foot halfway up.
At one time I blew my brake lines, because of putting too much pressure on the brakes in an emergency brake situation.

#9 ·
No, I want a stiffer accelerator pedal.
The brake pedal is ok, although a stiffer brake pedal might be a good thing too.
actually I find the brake pedal a bit too responsive.
But the accelerator, my shinbone muscles are getting sore from having to keep my foot halfway up.
At one time I blew my brake lines, because of putting too much pressure on the brakes in an emergency brake situation.
Wow, I'd take that car back to the dealership ASAP. I've never heard of a car or truck ruptring a break line during a panic stop.

#10 ·
Yes, it's already as far down as possible.
The only way is to bring it further back, which will help the issue, however, I would be sitting too far away from my steering wheel for comfort.
I prefer to sit at the right distance (I already feel, despite the telescopic function, my steering wheel is too far away).

#13 ·
I had the same issue, but mine was taken care of by putting the seat fully to the back, fully extending and lowering the steering wheel, tilting the seat bottom back a bit and then to counter the awkwardness of that bring the seat back up to about a 90 degree angle. My next step would have been something like Mike suggested above.

#17 ·
The Cav had easily the stiffest pedal I've ever encountered. If you got stuck in stop & go traffic, your heel, foot and ankle would be in absolute pain. It also didn't have cruise control (it had an aftermarket system that someone before me cut the wires to...), so driving it distances was also painful.

Reactions: jblackburn
#18 ·
The mechanism doesn't seem to be adjustable.
My uncle would just drill a hole in the pedal, and add a spring to it, mount it above somewhere.
He's done things like this on a volkswagen beetle, and I would have agreed, if it wasn't for the fact that the stock accelerator looks like it's made out of PLASTIC!
Really... Plastic!

#19 ·
Most any newer vehicle has a plastic accelerator pedal. It's very common with drive-by-wire vehicles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.