Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Administrator
25,604 Posts

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,781 Posts
OK - last week I went to get gas and pulled into the wrong side of the pump. You'd think that after 27,000+ miles and 16 months I'd have changed my reflex for this.
I still put my windows down thinking the button to unlock and lock is there... (faceplam)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was in Vegas this week and had a rental car. A Nissan Versa SV...2013. Awful car but I believe it is the cheapest or one of the cheapest new cars available although the SV has a list of $15K, $3K+ over the base model. The steering and CVT transmission were pitiful. But what is the point, Mike? I had to fill the car up before returning it to Budget. The fuel gauge told me the fuel door was on the right (I'm learning) so I attempted the appropriate action--pressing on the fuel door just like my Cruze--for naught.

But, alas, even in this cheap rental mobile, there is an inside fuel door release AND an inside trunk release. Both of which would be valuable additions to my car.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Not a problem for me, 82 Pace Arrow, 88 Supra, 04 Cavalier, and 12 Cruze all have the gas cap doors on the right side.

Only problem I have is with most other vehicles at a busy gas station, pulling in the wrong side of the pump as every one else's seem to be on the left hand side. Many times I have to back in, least all four vehicles have a reverse.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
But, alas, even in this cheap rental mobile, there is an inside fuel door release AND an inside trunk release. Both of which would be valuable additions to my car.
Just out of curiosity why? How often do you need to open the trunk or fuel door when you aren't standing right next to it?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Wish the Cruze had a locking fuel door, really no concern about anybody trying to siphon gas out of these new cars. Almost next to impossible. Save an old external fuel pump when forced to drop the tank to replace that way over priced fuel pump tht is buried deep in there.

Of major concern is nasty people dropping nasty stuff in your tank. I don't seem to have that problem, but my kid's sure did when going to these idiotic high schools. Especially if you have nice looking daughters that don't want to date some creep.

Would be happy with just a simple spring loaded pin hooked to a string you can pull from the inside of the trunk. Thought about that, but a lot more work involved with all that cheap plastic to deal with.

·
Administrator
25,604 Posts
Just out of curiosity why? How often do you need to open the trunk or fuel door when you aren't standing right next to it?
If you're in NJ or Oregon, always. You aren't allowed to pump your own gas in those two states.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the "how do I do it" moment about 1.5 years before I purchased my Cruze. June 2011 - first time fill up of my brand new Chevy HHR LT - looking EVERYWHERE for the gas door release (as my 92 Saturn, 82 Pontiac J2000, 86 Pontiac Fiero GT and others all had when the gas door had no visible external key/latch). Finally I'm stumped & simply go over to the gas door to study it. Press tentatively & it seems to depress - try with a little more force & Voila! It opens! Hardly a security feature as I was assuming it was and a bit troubling that I have to put my (or have some uncaring gas jockey put their) hand on the paint & potentially slide & scratch it.

It seemed very Ford like to me. Not up to Chevy/GM standards but better than a raised door or thumb notch would be for style. Naturally I assumed the Cruze worked the same way & it did. Starting with my Saturn Ion the gas fill was on the right side of the car. Now I've had enough cars with it there that I don't mistakenly pull up on the left anymore. I noticed the little arrow on the gas gauge in all cars about 10 years ago. I don't know exactly when it became required but apparently it has as every car regardless of model now sports it. That is a nice touch once you realize it exists - especially for rental cars.

The remaining question is that with so many new cars / trucks using the fuel fill right side location why is that it always seems all the cars already in line are going the "wrong way" for head in access to it? It should be approaching a 50-50 chance now days.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
Fuel door on Aussie Cruze won't open unless car is unlocked. When I first picked up the new car fuel was low so on the way home I decided to fill up. Our filler is on the drivers side and of course no release leaver to be found. Luckily I found how to open the flap and filled the car. While I was filling up I locked the car as it is law here to lock your car when unattended to pay. Went to close the flap and wouldn't shut. I had to unlock the doors before I could shut the flap as the lock had engaged. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry. I wasn't clear enough. The point of wanting an inside gas door release is for the built-in locking feature. The point of wanting an inside trunk release is for letting someone load or unload items in the trunk--like at the airport or the local hardware store.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
If you're in NJ or Oregon, always. You aren't allowed to pump your own gas in those two states.
So the gas station guy has to do it...why he makes the big bucks.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
Sorry. I wasn't clear enough. The point of wanting an inside gas door release is for the built-in locking feature. The point of wanting an inside trunk release is for letting someone load or unload items in the trunk--like at the airport or the local hardware store.
Just push the button in the trunk handle! Aussie built Cruzes have a locking flap that locks with the doors and you can't open it with the doors locked.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Just push the button in the trunk handle! Aussie built Cruzes have a locking flap that locks with the doors and you can't open it with the doors locked.
Ours does too, car has to be unlocked to open the trunk.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
Ours does too, car has to be unlocked to open the trunk.
If the car is locked you can open the trunk with the button on the key and the car itself remains locked. You really want the trunk to lock with the doors when car is unattended.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,297 Posts
So the gas station guy has to do it...why he makes the big bucks.

And I thought it was all of those tips people hand to the attendants that pump the fuel into the how do you open this up doors on the cruzen . My bad ,

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
there needs to be a thread about what side the tank is on, because at 42+ mpg I forget every time what side it is on...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
If your serious......Few folks ever notice but there is a arrow on the fuel gauge pointing to the right or left (depending on the car) to indicate what side the fuel fill is on.
Older cars with the fill under the license plate use no arrow for obvious reasons.

If you weren't serious, somebody out there learned something today.

He he,
Rob

·
Registered
57 Posts
I knew about the arrow, that's what I had to look at every time for MONTHS. here's some knowledge for ya. if there is no arrow and all you have is a gas pump icon, whichever side the hose is on is what side the tank is on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
haha, im not a new owner and i still get out at the petrol station with no idea where the button/lever inside the car is for getting it open! then after looking like an idiot for a minute or 2 i remember...
its my GF's car, but we both drive the **** out of it... 3mths and we've done about 14,000km so i should know how to open it by now right??

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'll admit I spent a couple minutes looking for the flap release lever.

And on the note about which side...There is a little arrow on your gas gauge. This points to the side your flap is on. :D

21 - 40 of 63 Posts