Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to increase mpg 2018 cruz hatchback 1.4 at will cold air intake make a difference witch is best

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,410 Posts
Cold air intakes, in general, do not increase fuel economy.

Colder air is denser, which means more power...but also requires more fuel. Plus, the additional sound usually makes your foot go down more because it sounds cool.

That said - many just draw air from the engine bay, which is not cold, so it ends up being a wash in regards to power/fuel economy, and mainly acts as a means to make it sound louder. Stock intake tracts really are not inefficient anymore.

Reactions: Ravenkeeper

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my work car i drive around 25000 miles per year will just changing air filter help .bought the car with only 6 miles on it notice with 87 octane has hesitation with 91 octane very smooth owners manual said 87 is recommended is this normal

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
1,058 Posts
This is my work car i drive around 25000 miles per year will just changing air filter help .bought the car with only 6 miles on it notice with 87 octane has hesitation with 91 octane very smooth owners manual said 87 is recommended is this normal
Yes, changing the air filter will help. It is normal for it to say to run 87 octane, they don't want to try and sell a car that they state requires premium(even though the turbo model really does). Depending on how you drive a tune may even increase mileage, I have heard of that before. Honestly driving habits matter the most for mileage in my opinion. Don't be stomping on it after every red light or stop sign, and coast down speed often. Use cruise control.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,922 Posts
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Premium fuel and an MPG tune could both help. You will need to experiment with your Cruze to be sure though.
BNR, Trifecta or ZZP may have the tune you want. Look in our sponsor section: Vendor Member Section (close as I can get there for some reason unknown to mankind, but just scroll down a bit until you see it.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 52 years old and used k n filter since 1984 but I've heard about new dry filters witch is better

·
Registered
2012 Cruze Eco 6 Speed
213 Posts
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Premium fuel and an MPG tune could both help. You will need to experiment with your Cruze to be sure though.
BNR, Trifecta or ZZP may have the tune you want. Look in our sponsor section: Vendor Member Section (close as I can get there for some reason unknown to mankind, but just scroll down a bit until you see it.)
How much of a difference in fuel economy though. Those tunes are hundreds of dollars are they really worth it ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
One of the biggest gains I’ve found slowing down and coasting to a stop. 60 mph makes better than 65, 65 than 70, etc. Also, when slowing for turn or stop sign coast down to at least 40 mph before using brakes. Coasting in gear uses no gas so the longer the better. Also saves a lot of wear on brakes.

Reactions: Ravenkeeper

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cruise Control Religion:
We (wife, daughter, myself, and soon, my son) drive using our cruise control, RELIGIOUSLY!! We set the cruise at the posted speed limit, AND no faster than 65. I often drive to/from work at no faster than 55, especially across Rosamond Drylake (65MPH zone), on Edwards AFB. When I arrive/leave Edwards AFB, I do NOT use my brakes to slow down for the serpentine, going through the gates, I've driven them enough to know when to toggle my cruise down to the next slower speed zone. The only time that I touch my brakes, is when I have to stop. I also use my cruise, from its minimum speed setting, to accelerate up to the speed of the next zone.

Wild Life Starts/Stops:
Don't "jackrabbit" to the speed limit. There's a "sweet spot" in your throttle that gets the best acceleration AND MPG. @Farmerboy has a great idea, coast to slow as much as possible. Likewise, I also use hills to my advantage too, especially when there are speed changes on them, slowing up hills, accelerating down hills. Let gravity work for you.

USELESS IDLING:
If I'm sitting at a LONG red light, I'll let the engine idle in neutral, keep an eye on the cross street light, when the cross traffic gets their red light, I'll shift back to drive, and get ready to go. I will not let the engine idle while someone runs into the store to grab something, and "come right back." If I use the remote start, I'll start whichever vehicle from the door, right as I'm stepping outside. Not much ice around here.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,410 Posts
The owners manuals have always said 87 octane.

Since at least 1967. Is the earliest manual I've had.
Many don't anymore. Every 5.7L Hemi says 89. Says it can run on 87, but is designed for 89 for optimum power and efficiency.

Cars will run on 87, since knock sensors exist, but most (especially those that are turbocharged) prefer something more.

Reactions: snowwy66

·
Administrator
25,484 Posts
The hesitation you're noticing on 87 octane is the car throwing away energy to avoid damaging the engine. This reduces MPG as a side effect. I know 91 octane can be considerably more expensive so give 89 a shot. Try at least two consecutive full tanks of each grade and then decide which is the best price to performance (in your case MPG) for your driving style and environment.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Many don't anymore. Every 5.7L Hemi says 89. Says it can run on 87, but is designed for 89 for optimum power and efficiency.

Cars will run on 87, since knock sensors exist, but most (especially those that are turbocharged) prefer something more.
My uncle bought his 10 ram2500 new and my aunt bought her 14 traverse new.

Neither believe in the higher octane. Both have been running 85 since day 1.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts