Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Go back to COMG- The Cruze Owner's Maintenance Guide

1. Take off all the screws on the bumper :) technically you dont have to take the bumper off you could get to all the airbox stuff you could technically do it through the wheel well opening but it would suck.

2. Take out the factory air box theres just a bunch of screws holding it in no big deal. Once you have the whole thing out you will see a black plastic piece that connects to the baffle, to remove it you have to wiggle the baffle from the top to the air box (its just held together by pressure) and it becomes two pieces. I may eventually take the plastic piece and try to make it pretty instead of the big hole but meh.

3. Dont drop any screws down here or youre gonna hate your life

4. Install adapter tube onto stock hole

5. Install OEM air sensor onto intake unit

6. Attach 2nd piece to adapter

7. I dont have a pic of the filter attached but heres what it looks like

8. The next piece goes through the stock hole and then you screw the filter to the other side where the stock air baffle was. Once its screws into place its all very tight

Button her all up and youre done

·
Registered
136 Posts
So.. what's the real benefit here for the 1.4L engine? The stock system seems to pull in cold enough air, and this certainly isn't pulling air from any different location.

Usually CAI are rarely colder than the stock setup, but this is at least as cold as, and maybe better put, not warmer than stock. I haven't looked at much data on the engine yet, but I don't see any certain restrictions that would indicate a lack of air.

Also, on my other car (LNF 2.0L Turbo engine) there was a torque management system which limited the output of the engine. From looking at the torque curve of this engine, it looks to be the same limited output. The only way to remove that torque management was either the Stage 2 tune from GM or aftermarket tune.

Is your intention with this performance or appearance / sound only? Not criticizing at all, I have a CAI on my 2.0L LNF (though I do have a tune) and sometimes just like to hear it. :)

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. it actually is pulling air from a different location. The stock intake has a feeder tube that sits behind the grill, that then feeds into a baffle box which sits in front of the passenger wheel well which then feeds up into the stock air box, through another baffle through the filter, up through another pipe and across to the engine. This is pulling it from where the original baffle was sitting and is a straight shoot from the filter to the connection on the engine. The stock intake doesnt leave the engine starving for air obviously but i wish i would have taken the mass airflow intake pressure from my scangauge before i installed it.

2. While the sportier sound is nice, I have to say from the butt dyno the car has more pull then it did before, the engine feels more eager to rev and pull harder under load.

3. When driven gently I'm actually getting better MPG after installing the intake.

And lastly I plan on getting a trifecta tune which will maximize the increased airflow.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Good stuff Dave, one of the first intake installs AND you provide a step by step walkthrough, well done.

I have sent an email to Injen regarding a heatshield for this intake. I don't see them being too privy to supplying one, but we'll see what they say.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Looks pretty sharp!
Anyone know if these cars are setup to have tuning on the MAP/MAF sensor for the intake install? Seems alot of new cars are going to that style like the new mustangs for example (+05)
Maybe and hopefully not

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.