Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

How-To: Install A Glove Box Light In 2012 Cruze

45K views 58 replies 32 participants last post by  Robo911 
#1 ·
It was talked about, and i did miss the light in my 2012. So i took the light out in my 2011 and wrote down the part number on it (13503057 F-lamp) and headed to the dealer. Yup its a good number, also used in various other models. It was $7.62 + tax of course, it took 6 days to get it to Minnesota.

So it started the install.

Start by taking the Glove box out, 1st there is a spring loaded cord on the right side, open the box all the way and grab the cord and then lift up on the box to give it slack and the turn it sideways to get it out. Then just grab both sides (inside) and pull them together gently until it clears the clips, then just take it off the hinges.

Next is to take out 3 bolts out to gain access, there are two on top and one on the side.

Now you will be able to pull it down to see when you cut it out for the light. From the right access cover reach in and grab the WHITE taped up power wire for the glove box (Thanks GM for not deleting that)

Now its time to cut out the block, I used a Utility Knife. Inside the box you can see a square box and when you look on top of the box you can see again a square box. cut that out. Its about 2 1/8" long square.

Now its time to drill a 1/4" hole for the button. I drilled the hole so there is 1/4" gap of plastic

Now slide the power wire threw the hole, plug it in. Only goes one way. Then install the light, slide the black button in first and line it up with the hole and snap it in place.

Now you have a glove box light, bolt it back up and your done.

See less See more
#4 ·
It was talked about, and i did miss the light in my 2012. So i took the light out in my 2011 and wrote down the part number on it (13503057 F-lamp) and headed to the dealer. Yup its a good number, also used in various other models. It was $7.62 + tax of course, it took 6 days to get it to Minnesota.
Nice post & great pics! So... now the big question inquiring minds will ask. What is the bulb type... you know to replace it with an LED equivalent?! :goodjob:

#8 ·
I work midnights and installed it after work and completely forgot about the LED bulbs i had. I just popped it out and it was a 106 bulb (same as the rest of the bulbs in the car) I swapped it out with a led bulb. I got my 10 pack on eBay just search for this on eBay. 10x T10 W5W 194 168 501 Car White 20 SMD LED Inverted Side Wedge Light Bulb 12V

Sorry i dropped the ball, here are a few pics.

#7 ·

#12 ·
I just pulled the rear trunk light, its similar but not the same. There is no black button on the trunk one as there is one on the glove box light.

#13 ·
Interesting, just assumed our 2012 2LT didn't have a glove compartment lamp because our 04 Cavalier didn't have one either. But somehow we survived.

Noted the same cutout that you described. Also found the part on gmpartsdirect for $5.41, that was good, but the $12.58 S%H charges weren't.

Ha, will have a meeting with my wife to see if she wants one. First part of your instructions does a nice job of showing how to check the cabin air filter.

But do wonder about that black and white wiring harness, is that always hot or connected to the BCM in some way so that if the door is not close, could discharge the battery. Kind of like crawling inside of your refrigerator to make sure that light goes out.

Could start a post on what do you keep in your glove compartment. Our 04 was jammed with CD's but using MP3 USB drives now. So it is pretty much empty. Could throw in a pair of gloves.

#14 ·
Interesting, just assumed our 2012 2LT didn't have a glove compartment lamp because our 04 Cavalier didn't have one either. But somehow we survived.

Noted the same cutout that you described. Also found the part on gmpartsdirect for $5.41, that was good, but the $12.58 S%H charges weren't.

Ha, will have a meeting with my wife to see if she wants one. First part of your instructions does a nice job of showing how to check the cabin air filter.

But do wonder about that black and white wiring harness, is that always hot or connected to the BCM in some way so that if the door is not close, could discharge the battery. Kind of like crawling inside of your refrigerator to make sure that light goes out.

Could start a post on what do you keep in your glove compartment. Our 04 was jammed with CD's but using MP3 USB drives now. So it is pretty much empty. Could throw in a pair of gloves.

It is always hot, I did check mine, i just left the right side cover off to make sure the light went out.

#15 ·
Thank you so much for the write up. I ordered the part 2 days ago and did the install today. The part cost me about $7 dollars from my local Chevy dealership and it took me about 30 minutes. The pictures you posted with your writeup were very helpful!

Sent from my DROID3

#19 ·
Well since it appears that the 2013 Cruzes won't be having a standard lit glove-box either, I hope this install is still going to be possible, but with Chevy's love of penny pinching I won't be holding my breath! But in the chance that this install is still possible on the 2013 Cruze, the correct number for the lamp part and the light bulb is 13503057? According to GMpartsdirect both parts are $7.62 MSRP but $4.75 for the online price, does this sound correct? Thanks!

#20 ·
Thank u so much for the pics and detailed guide.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#24 ·
A while back, I installed the glove box light per this write up. Ordered it through the dealer. The installation went very well. When I pulled the panel down, I could clearly see the section to cut out. Used a brand new razor and it cut nicely.
Something I found which may help others during this install is that while drilling the small hole for the on/off switch, I discovered that because of the type of plastic used, there is less material left around the hole if you actually spin the drill bit in reverse. It sounds crazy, but it actually pushes the would-be ant hill inward, therefore leaving it all toward the inside. Starting with small drill bits, and working upwards is how I did it. The first couple of sizes drilled should be in the 'correct' drilling direction, but the final few sizes should be in reverse. Hope this helps!

#25 ·
Great write up, thanks for sharing, at the top of my MOD list now.

#26 ·
Is there actually a plug in wire for the glovebox lamp? If so, why didnt gm just put the **** thing in there to begin with lol. How is the lamp sitting in the hole you cut out? (does it just snap in, or sit in a different way).

Reactions: Starks8
#28 · (Edited)
Nice write up ... never even really paid attention to the fact that there wasn't a light in there! IF I don't end up getting a 2013, I'll have to take on this mod.

Then again ... My Aussie built G8 doesn't have a "cubby" light in it either, but it's a lot more expensive than 8 bucks for the factory original, which is available and CAN be installed :(

#30 ·
Silverram323..Yes i did in fact. I asked this because i just changed my cabin air filter and didnt see it there. Im sure its tucked up in there but i wanted to know if it was actually there and ready for a glovebox lamp. How exactly does the lamp sit in the hole you would cut out? (Is it snap in type lamp or what?)

#31 ·
Im sure its there, it does snap in, rear (button end) first then just push up and the front snaps in place.

You do have to cut the hole, there is lines to show where to cut.

#32 ·
okay now i see it lol. I guess i didnt realize it was there. I knew there was no light and didnt understand why it was not already put in the car. Usually cars come with them. And its just the 3 or 4 bolts to remove to get to the wiring and plug it in?

#41 ·
I wanted to pull the whole glove box liner out and to do that I had to:

Remove the right end plate "pries off"
Remove the lower kick panel "pulls off"
Remove the glove box door "undo the spring wire thing and pop out the 2 stoppers"
Remove lower under dash panel "2 7mm screws"
Remove lower airbag "2 10mm bolts" Just lay the airbag to the side, no need to unhook it.
Remove 5 7mm bolts holding the glove box liner in.

All this just to confirm I in fact have no glove box light wiring.

I'll tackle this on a nice day, it's piss pouring rain here today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.