Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
What I ended up doing for my eco is using a full size spare. I bought a cheap $99 rim that will fit any bolt pattern and mounted one of my old used oem eco tires with 85k miles on it. I then removed the air pump / sealant kit in the trunk and was able to cut out just enough carpet to fit a full size tire using the existing spare tire molding in the trunk designed for all cruzes.

Because this spare isnt bolted in if I was ever in an accident the tire could become a dangerous projectile. I need to consider securing the tire.

Link to larger picture. http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/members/3877-cruzeecobluetopaz-album2145-pictures-picture93153-t.jpg

·
10,695 Posts
I like this idea over the donut especially if you get a flat on the front and have to perform a juggling act to make the donut a rear tire.

As a general rule you are correct about purchasing a spare to match the rim size. However, with the donut spares you don't have this option - thus the rule of thumb to put them on the back. Subaru even has some cars that putting the donut spare on the front will void the transmission warranty.
You also have to get all 4 tires replaced on a Subaru if you blow one for the same reason if the tread dept is too far off from the other 3. I got lucky when I put a nail into one of my brand new tires days after install so I didn't have to replace all 4 again.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Yes I feel more comfortable using a full size tire rather then a smaller spare. The tire is only 2 inchs above the trunk liner so its a great fit.

·
10,695 Posts
Yes I feel more comfortable using a full size tire rather then a smaller spare. The tire is only 2 inchs above the trunk liner so its a great fit.
If this was a Focus, that 2 inches would be an issue. You also don't have to drive slower or expect less traction on that corner of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
What I ended up doing for my eco is using a full size spare. Because this spare isnt bolted in if I was ever in an accident the tire could become a dangerous projectile.
After selling my donut spare, I plan to do something similar with the eco trunk i traded for. Instead of cutting the eco floor like you did I may raise the floor a few inches on foam blocks and cut the carpet out of the tire well bottom. This way I will have the full size spare concealed below the trunk floor. Only problem with this is you loose a bit more trunk & also need to modify the lip at the front of trunk floor.

To secure the tire could you use the useless strap that held the inflator kit in place? I'm sure in an accident the plastic clip would break but would probably provide more than enough holding strength to keep the tire from flying around.

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Insurance (spare tire) just paid for itself. Driving in to the office this afternoon to restart a server I ran over something. There's a nice 3/8" round hole dead center in my tread. A hole this size is far too big for the GM goo to plug. I'll drop my car off Monday at the Discount Tire I use - I have road damage coverage on my tires.

This is the first time I've ever needed my spare tire since I purchased my first car in 1985. Glad I spent the money on one.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Good call on the spare. You never know when your going to need it but when you do your sure glad its back there.

Discount Tire is a great company all around. I purchase all my tires from them for much less then other local competitors. They also rotate and balance my tires every month.
I drive to the US to get my tires from them. Great company to deal with and excellent customer service. They also sell Nitto tires (Tire Rack doesn't) which I use on the Vette. Compared to buying them up here in Canada they're almost HALF price!

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Dropped my car off at Discount Tire at 8 AM. The adviser wasn't sure it was repairable - 3/8" hole dead center in the tread with some damage to the tread lugs. I got a call at 9:45 - tire had been repaired and my car was ready for pickup. This Discount Tire is a little over a mile from my office so I just walked to and from the office. They even reset my tire pressures to 50 PSI at my request (sidewall max is 51 PSI).

·
Epic Beard Man
5,414 Posts
They even reset my tire pressures to 50 PSI at my request (sidewall max is 51 PSI).
I did that with my Excursion, requested 65 (max is 80). Got it back with them set to like 45...

I requested they max my snow tires when I had those installed. They put 32 in them.

Perhaps we need more better schooling around here!

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
This experience has ruled out the Chevy Volt, Cruze CDT, and a lot of other "high MPG" cars from any future consideration for me.

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Because they don't have spare tires or a place to put one?
The latter. My ECO MT didn't have a spare but it had a place to put one and I did.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,414 Posts
The latter. My ECO MT didn't have a spare but it had a place to put one and I did.
Mike, you could totally rock a Volt with a continental kit on the back. I mean, the Volt kinda resembles the Fiero in a way.

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Never heard of a Continental kit. The Fiero had a spare in the front.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,414 Posts
61 - 80 of 108 Posts