Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I have an '12 Eco 6MT and recently had a tire blow out. Sidewall was damaged. Inflation kit was useless. Had to wait for a tow.

This is my first car in over 30 years without a spare tire. Ironically, I needed one.

This mod is immediately on my list. Thanks for the instructions.
First car I've owned without a spare and the first time I've needed a spare as well. Fortunately I had this already.

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
Don't you also need part number 13255680 to crank the jack up?
I listed it as Optional because it's really only used to position the jack. When I had to actually use my spare tire I discovered that I had wasted money on this part - it's easier to position the jack by hand. The Jack Wrench, which you do need, is part #13348506.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I listed it as Optional because it's really only used to position the jack. When I had to actually use my spare tire I discovered that I had wasted money on this part - it's easier to position the jack by hand. The Jack Wrench, which you do need, is part #13348506.
I'll probably be doing the fullsize mod on my 11 6MT, If you put the full size spare rim in flipped, you can still use inside the rim to store things. Thats where my jack, caution strobe and jumper cables live. Having changed more than a fair share of tires, the socket on the jack is the same size as a lug. So I replace the stock wrench with a cheap ratchet for the jack and I use a 24" breaker and an impact socket for the lug nuts.

Tire change time, I loosen the nuts with the bar because some idiot always disobeys my request for a hand tighten with a real torque wrench. Then I jack up the car with the same socket on the ratchet. With a full size spare you almost always have to let much air out to get in on the lower hanging suspension, install the spare, inflate to about 75%, lower the car and finish inflating the tire to pressure. I still keep my AAA-Plus Roadside because it covers any car you are in, not just your own. If you ever need the Tow it pays for itself (even spread over several years), and if I'm all gussied up heading to see a client, I get to stay clean and be on my way without needing to deal with the donut and all its issues. If you use the POV to do any work reimbursed travel its an instant write-off vehicle maintenance expense as well. Piece of mind is well worth it between it and the tire.

IGadget

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Hey do these parts listed in the first post fit a 2013 Cruze?
They should fit all Gen 1 gas Cruzen. The CTD (2014-2016) has the DEF tank in the wheel well. The part numbers may have changed however as GM is known to change part numbers.

Print the first post and take it to your dealership's parts department. Tell the guy you want the parts for the LT for your model year. They won't show up under the ECO MT because "they don't exist".

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll have to check on the cost but I spent around $550 total. The tire itself is $129 shipped. GMPartsDirect.com will be cheaper, but I went through my dealership (I get a 10% parts discount on any thing I purchase there) because I like the service I get. Based on the parts diagram, I actually ordered a part that isn't needed and they took it back no questions asked. I ordered everything last Wednesday and had the tire on Monday and the rest of the parts on Tuesday. It's about a 15 minute install, even for the hopelessly mechanically inept like myself.
GMParts Direct may be cheaper but it looks like they charge double for the shipping. Just for the floor cover and one other part (cigarette lighter cover) I needed equaled $100.13 - They estmated the shipping was $172.44. I stopped right there. I might as well get it from the dealer. I will check with them Monday.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts