Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this took me some time to do, the hardest part was the stripping of glue from car and bow tie.

sorry for lack of photos
tools:

utility knife
painters tape
trim removal tool
#7 socket
goo gone
rags
hair dryer or heat gun( i used hair dryer)
patients
some way to clip into power
continuity tester ( wrong name probably)

first picture is what i started off with. mark each edge of the bow tie with your tape.
IMG_20130312_191620.jpg

2. to get to the wires you need to work with you need to remove about 12-15 of these plastic clips around the trunk lining, they are hiding everywhere. also the emergency release will just pop thru, they cut lining so it can pull throw easy... how nice :eusa_clap:. lastly the plastic cover over the trunk latch just has 2 built on clips, you will need a bit of force to get that off, i pried on the trunk lining once everything was undo to get better leverage at it.
IMG_20130312_191841.jpg
3. then you use the #7 ( i think) socket to remove this handle ( never saw it before now)
IMG_20130312_191845.jpg

3. this is the trunk after being taped. Use the blow dryer along with your trim removal tool to heat up and pry off the originally Bow tie.

4. once its off use goo gone to clean the trunk and the bow tie itself.
5. You will need to cut off the prongs on the bow tie so it fits snuggly on the LED bow tie
IMG_20130312_205351.jpg

6. Going inside the trunk this is the bundle of wires you are looking for. If my memory servers me it should be the white + the black w/ white strip wire you are looking for. i used a tester to ensure this by turning on the lights and seeing if it lit up... it did so i had it right :)
IMG_20130312_205403.jpg
another view... that connecter does come off very easily. once you have this done you can move back outside
IMG_20130312_205407.jpg
7. this is the LED bow tie, to ensure a tight fit i cut the 3m tape back a bit so the wires come out closer to center, otherwise you are sandwiching the wires between the trunk and 3M tape. thats what i am point at.
IMG_20130312_205439.jpg
8. using those tape marks from before, line up the LED badge. it is larger then the OEM one, so spilt the difference on all sides as you go.
9. remove the top take and play the OEM Bow tie on top. took me several attempts to get them lined up right and centered.
IMG_20130312_210433.jpg
10. wipe down all around with a damp rag and dry, looks nice and clean :).
11. hit the lights and check you work
IMG_20130312_211445.jpg

looks good i think.

lastly put things back together. remember to put on the plastic cover for the latch and the handle. after that enjoy the new look!

any questions let me know i will be happy to help.

Reactions: obermd and Matt585

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Nice write up kfr, thanks for taking the time.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well soon to come... how to de-install and repair these... mine broke within 24 of being put on! half the LED are working atleast

·
Registered
444 Posts
ya i really need help on a reinstall or repair of mine, i ordered the blue it worked for about a week and then half of it in a / form (diagnal bottom left to top right) stopped working... i thought it possibily had todo with the cold weather etc.. but then a couple days after that it all went out all together. and its 3m'd to my vinyl i did on my trunk so idk if its coming off... id like to just repair if possible... can u help? or how id reinstall (ie. taking it off the vinyl work i have done on my trunk without $%#^ that up. thanks man

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am not an expert on vinyl, but the same happen to mine half went out they are sending me a new one. once thats in i m replacing and repairing this one... as for your vinyl, i think your best bet is going ot be getting a really good heat gun and slowly going at it. i originally used my trim removal tool to pry at it a bit to loosen the OEM bow tie.

i do do some work with paint and models, if you try to remove it but your vinyl comes with it i have an idea. Only if you PLAN TO RE-INSTALL THE PIECE RIGHT AFTER. once you see it peeling the vinyl, stop, get a very fine knife, and gently push on it. the reason i say you would need to re install is because by cutting it at the bow tie you will prevent the rest from coming, but you will have a hole in it. I CLAIM NO EXPERTISE ON MATTERS OF PAINT OR AVOIDING DAMAGE TO. just an idea.

how ever i do imagine those vinyls are on well enough to not come off easly, so try a heat gun at a decent temp to get the 3M glue gooey again then gently ply at it.... once i get mine off i will get photos on how they fail so we can re enforce them.

i hope this helped a bit.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ya I appreciate the quick reply. Ill hold off until u lemme know what u find it doesn't really bother me too much being there n just not turning on I'd really like to repair it if that's even possible which I hope it is....pos china I don't want to risk taking it off just for another one todo the same thing potentially- in doing so I'd have to mess my vinyl up a little and even if I put a new one over it it's not water tight anymore and I don't want to bubble my trunk lid up. But I'm standing by for the repair option if available

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i ahve wokred with LED before even if they are blown out i can just buy new ones and install them myself( hopfully) but i think the wires just are poorly done. for 14$ i am not complian, it was cheap so,,, buy cheap buy twice... btw a trick my father taught me... use clear nail polish to help reseal chips in paint, i used it on 2 major chips on my car. so far the holes have not grown and they are a year old now ( ###k, still bothers me). Btw are you aware of the mini cruze meet in Waktins Glens on april 20th? you shoould come join us, you are so close about hours drive.

·
Registered
444 Posts
ya for sure, i look forward to seeing what u can do. and ya ill be there on the 20th for sure!

Reactions: kfr291

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I have a suggestion.

Seems like there's a high probability of failure within a fairly short amount of time after you start using it.

Maybe just wire it to something inside your car. Say find an old 12v lighter plug and hook it to that, drive around with it just plugged into your lighter to see if it's going to fail the first few days......

Save yourself a bunch of grief trying to get that 3m tape off. That stuff is sticky!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Patience, patience, and more patience.
Working in the body shop I learned rushing is very bad.
When dealing with glues, paint, decals, emblems, and stuff like that heat guns and very delicate steady hands are a must. Rushing or forcing anything weather its taking out the tail lights, which sucks, or taking off the bow ties can be bad. Stressing patience.
Looks good. I was thinking about doing this to my cruze for awile but i dont think it would look good on an all black car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay mine came with three wires.. The extra green wire is the brake wire. I'm having trouble figuring out where to connect it to. Any help on that?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay mine came with three wires.. The extra green wire is the brake wire. I'm having trouble figuring out where to connect it to. Where can I find it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I installed a red one on my red Cruze, no problems at all.... I have it wired up so its on whenever the car is turned on, off when turned off... No messing with an extra wire to
brighten up when the brakes are on.... Mine was a real easy install after I found that the cheap-o chinese double sided tape is garbage... I bought some real 3M to do the job...
It's been working flawlessly for about a year now... If you need to change LED's, you need to remove the double sided tape to get to the LED, then a simple cut and solder of a
replacement LED is all you need...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts