Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I searched all over the web for info on these things, finally just pulled the plug.

1. its the wifes car, she wanted them. and yes I think they look great.
2. I don't care what a seller tells you, these lights are not plug and play. yes the pix on line show a plug attached, and yes it comes that way, and NO the plugs do not fit american cruze. and no they don't make adaptors.
3. yes you will have to tap into the existing wiring in your car,
4. yes you will have to run additional wiring. our lights have brake/turn/running/back up lights on the corners and only running lights in the trunk lights. the new lights have brake/turn/running in corners and brake/backup/running in the trunk lights.
5. I spliced into the existing wiring to retain factory plugs and to keep factory plugs on old lights so that I can sell them.
6. yes you will have to remove all of the panels in the trunk including the trunk lid panel.
7. total time from dis-assembly to back on the road doing all work by myself. 7 hrs. most of the time spent metering out the wires to find out what light they went to, and writing down color codes, including the new lights, which come with NO instruction.
8. color codes. as best as I can see, I'm old and so are my eyes. don't take my word for it, just meter them out yourself, but here goes,

new LED lights. corners - blk-grnd / red-brake / yellow-turn /green-running
trunk - blk-grnd / red-brake / yellow-backup / green-running

cruze wiring. yellow striped-brake / left side purple striped-running / right side gray striped-running /
blue striped-turn / green striped-reverse / blue striped-flasher / there are two black bround wires on each plug you only need to tap into one of them for the ground.

this is a simple do it yourself job. it is just time intensive. be patient. put down protection around the trunk, protect your paint, you might find yourself in some akward positions. set all of your push tabs and screws in a container. set your panels in the house, take your time and have fun.

2012 Cruze LTZ RS. de-badged, there was a little slot in the trunk after removing the bowtie. it is used for allingment, my wife found this cross in the jewlery section of Michaels Crafts store. put it on using 3m automotive trim tape, same stuff the factory uses, avail at NAPA auto or on line. painted trunk chrome strip with black chrome wheel paint, painted lower valance and chrome strip with dupli-color plastic paint gloss black. window tint. and front bowtie and steering wheel bowtie vinyl blackout. next up, black out front grill and install LED Fog lights, really who in the **** puts round fog lights in a modern car, yuk. just my 2 cents.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Vehicle registration plate
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Mid-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Vehicle registration plate
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Mid-size car

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,747 Posts
Now you car looks like a pissed of american in the front

And a pissed off Chinease guy in the back! :p 7 HOURS?! I wouldn't make it lol.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Nice work! I really want to get these for when I buy the cruze! Any word on a company making these plug in play for the american cruze in the future?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not pissed off, but disappointed that they market these at U.S.A. owners and can't just tell ya up front, you are going to have to wire each individual bulb. at least give ya a wiring diagram would be nice.
and yes the fog lights that come with the car are exceptional. I got caught up in my wifes thinking. -again-. yep she wants the LED look. and if the wife is not happy nobody is happy. LOL, and what the heck, not much fog in southern California.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
So a Chevy Cruze Aftermarket company by the name of BMC Extreme Customs Inc. that I liked and currently visit on Facebook, responded to my asking them on their page if they would make these specific LED Mercedes style tail lights plug and play for the US Cruzes and they responded with "we're working on it". Such great news that someone is making a real attempt at getting these tail lights to work for us without have to splice and dice our new car wiring up. Anyway if you would like to know more about it and/or them as a company, their website is Leaving Facebook... | Facebook and they have a facebook page that goes by the name chevy cruze aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I searched all over the web for info on these things, finally just pulled the plug.

1. its the wifes car, she wanted them. and yes I think they look great.
2. I don't care what a seller tells you, these lights are not plug and play. yes the pix on line show a plug attached, and yes it comes that way, and NO the plugs do not fit american cruze. and no they don't make adaptors.
3. yes you will have to tap into the existing wiring in your car,
4. yes you will have to run additional wiring. our lights have brake/turn/running/back up lights on the corners and only running lights in the trunk lights. the new lights have brake/turn/running in corners and brake/backup/running in the trunk lights.
5. I spliced into the existing wiring to retain factory plugs and to keep factory plugs on old lights so that I can sell them.
6. yes you will have to remove all of the panels in the trunk including the trunk lid panel.
7. total time from dis-assembly to back on the road doing all work by myself. 7 hrs. most of the time spent metering out the wires to find out what light they went to, and writing down color codes, including the new lights, which come with NO instruction.
8. color codes. as best as I can see, I'm old and so are my eyes. don't take my word for it, just meter them out yourself, but here goes,

new LED lights. corners - blk-grnd / red-brake / yellow-turn /green-running
trunk - blk-grnd / red-brake / yellow-backup / green-running

cruze wiring. yellow striped-brake / left side purple striped-running / right side gray striped-running /
blue striped-turn / green striped-reverse / blue striped-flasher / there are two black bround wires on each plug you only need to tap into one of them for the ground.

this is a simple do it yourself job. it is just time intensive. be patient. put down protection around the trunk, protect your paint, you might find yourself in some akward positions. set all of your push tabs and screws in a container. set your panels in the house, take your time and have fun.

2012 Cruze LTZ RS. de-badged, there was a little slot in the trunk after removing the bowtie. it is used for allingment, my wife found this cross in the jewlery section of Michaels Crafts store. put it on using 3m automotive trim tape, same stuff the factory uses, avail at NAPA auto or on line. painted trunk chrome strip with black chrome wheel paint, painted lower valance and chrome strip with dupli-color plastic paint gloss black. window tint. and front bowtie and steering wheel bowtie vinyl blackout. next up, black out front grill and install LED Fog lights, really who in the **** puts round fog lights in a modern car, yuk. just my 2 cents.

View attachment 5137 View attachment 5138 View attachment 5139 View attachment 5140

How are these tail lights working out for you and our wife up to this point?! Any issues with them so far? What's the best part about them? Any compliments from people that see them and the car? Question... what do you do if a LED bulb(s) goes out in these taillights? just replace it or the whole thing? I don't know when but it looks like a company called BMC extreme customs is working on making these tail lights finally plug and play for our cruzes. Thank god because I really want them but would trust myself to do them like you did!

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Yes, 2 confirmed US Cruzes who successfully got these to work. Hatefire, how much would you charge to do them for me hehe.

Why isn't BMC a vendor already seriously.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So a Chevy Cruze Aftermarket company by the name of BMC Extreme Customs Inc. that I liked and currently visit on Facebook, responded to my asking them on their page if they would make these specific LED Mercedes style tail lights plug and play for the US Cruzes and they responded with "we're working on it". Such great news that someone is making a real attempt at getting these tail lights to work for us without have to splice and dice our new car wiring up. Anyway if you would like to know more about it and/or them as a company, their website is Leaving Facebook... | Facebook and they have a facebook page that goes by the name chevy cruze aftermarket.
PLEASE keep us updated on this wiring harness!!

Thanks.

Kevin

·
Registered
135 Posts
That's good news. I really want these. I've been looking at them since before I bought the Cruze. Is it bad that I look at aftermarket part availability BEFORE I buy a vehicle..?

Yes, 2 confirmed US Cruzes who successfully got these to work. Hatefire, how much would you charge to do them for me hehe.

Why isn't BMC a vendor already seriously.
Interesting. I'll keep an eye on the availability for US plugged tails. Hopefully BMC will come through pretty soon. If not, then maybe you and I have found a weekend project :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BMC is where I bought mine, I called them when I got the lights unboxed. yea, they told me they are working on it. Don't hold your breath.
Update, the lights are working as expected, no problems. the wife has actually had two drivers follow her into parking lots, just to ask what and where she got her lights, one guy told her he would pay me to wire some for him, no thanks, got too many other projects working. someone actually asked her when did BMW change their body style, she had to explain its not a BMW its a Cruze LOL. I have been working in the Fires down in San Diego and haven't had time to be on here in awhile, so still haven't got the fog lights installed, or more pix. but I'm home now and gonna do the fog lights, and brake calliper covers today, hope to have some pix up soon. wife wants to go to 20's on the wheels, so stay tuned. as for the post asking about the led bulbs, LED (light emitting diode) not a bulb, they dont burn out and in all of my past vehicles I have never had one go bad, not to say they couldn't . by the way, tint windows on the black car is bad a**
stay tuned for more. and thanks for all the comments

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
BMC is where I bought mine, I called them when I got the lights unboxed. yea, they told me they are working on it. Don't hold your breath.
Update, the lights are working as expected, no problems. the wife has actually had two drivers follow her into parking lots, just to ask what and where she got her lights, one guy told her he would pay me to wire some for him, no thanks, got too many other projects working. someone actually asked her when did BMW change their body style, she had to explain its not a BMW its a Cruze LOL. I have been working in the Fires down in San Diego and haven't had time to be on here in awhile, so still haven't got the fog lights installed, or more pix. but I'm home now and gonna do the fog lights, and brake calliper covers today, hope to have some pix up soon. wife wants to go to 20's on the wheels, so stay tuned. as for the post asking about the led bulbs, LED (light emitting diode) not a bulb, they dont burn out and in all of my past vehicles I have never had one go bad, not to say they couldn't . by the way, tint windows on the black car is bad a**
stay tuned for more. and thanks for all the comments

I messaged BMC on Facebook again about these headlights, and they replied that it looks like they are 2-3 months ways to having these headlights plug and play. I hope they are telling the truth because I would love to have these when I go buy my 2013 Cruze. I guess we'll/ I'll have to wait and see!

Wow, I know you likely had mixed feelings about having random people/guys follow your wife into parking lots and approach her about the lights although it's definitely a big compliment about the car, lights, and the job you did to install them! lol. Would love to see pics of the other mods you do to the car that you mentioned your wife wants.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought these and built wiring harnesses for them. I didn't modify the cars stock wiring in any way. You can purchase stock harness clips from Delphi or you can buy the factory harnesses (I did this). It took me about 60 minutes to take the trunk apart, 30 minutes to remove/reinstall the lights, and 40 minutes to put the trunk back together. I spent about 3 hours mapping out wires and building the harnesses. I will put a complete guide up for anyone interested.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Dude I'd be very interested!

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I bought these and built wiring harnesses for them. I didn't modify the cars stock wiring in any way. You can purchase stock harness clips from Delphi or you can buy the factory harnesses (I did this). It took me about 60 minutes to take the trunk apart, 30 minutes to remove/reinstall the lights, and 40 minutes to put the trunk back together. I spent about 3 hours mapping out wires and building the harnesses. I will put a complete guide up for anyone interested.
I'd be interested too!

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Hmmm what do you have in mind?

·
Registered
256 Posts
A how to thread would be appreciated by many. Thanks

1 - 20 of 42 Posts