Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello, @hatefire, i realize this post is sort of old and i know your original post date is may for this post, but i noticed you bought your cruze from rotolo fontana. do you reside in fontana? i would like to meet up with you to compare our cruzes. i have a black 1Lt chevy cruze as well with mercedes benz fog lights and was wondering if we could compare or i cud see the taillights you installed on this car! plz feel free to get back to me on here in a private message so we can exchange phone numbers because i reside in fontana as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I searched all over the web for info on these things, finally just pulled the plug.

1. its the wifes car, she wanted them. and yes I think they look great.
2. I don't care what a seller tells you, these lights are not plug and play. yes the pix on line show a plug attached, and yes it comes that way, and NO the plugs do not fit american cruze. and no they don't make adaptors.
3. yes you will have to tap into the existing wiring in your car,
4. yes you will have to run additional wiring. our lights have brake/turn/running/back up lights on the corners and only running lights in the trunk lights. the new lights have brake/turn/running in corners and brake/backup/running in the trunk lights.
5. I spliced into the existing wiring to retain factory plugs and to keep factory plugs on old lights so that I can sell them.
6. yes you will have to remove all of the panels in the trunk including the trunk lid panel.
7. total time from dis-assembly to back on the road doing all work by myself. 7 hrs. most of the time spent metering out the wires to find out what light they went to, and writing down color codes, including the new lights, which come with NO instruction.
8. color codes. as best as I can see, I'm old and so are my eyes. don't take my word for it, just meter them out yourself, but here goes,

new LED lights. corners - blk-grnd / red-brake / yellow-turn /green-running
trunk - blk-grnd / red-brake / yellow-backup / green-running

cruze wiring. yellow striped-brake / left side purple striped-running / right side gray striped-running /
blue striped-turn / green striped-reverse / blue striped-flasher / there are two black bround wires on each plug you only need to tap into one of them for the ground.

this is a simple do it yourself job. it is just time intensive. be patient. put down protection around the trunk, protect your paint, you might find yourself in some akward positions. set all of your push tabs and screws in a container. set your panels in the house, take your time and have fun.

2012 Cruze LTZ RS. de-badged, there was a little slot in the trunk after removing the bowtie. it is used for allingment, my wife found this cross in the jewlery section of Michaels Crafts store. put it on using 3m automotive trim tape, same stuff the factory uses, avail at NAPA auto or on line. painted trunk chrome strip with black chrome wheel paint, painted lower valance and chrome strip with dupli-color plastic paint gloss black. window tint. and front bowtie and steering wheel bowtie vinyl blackout. next up, black out front grill and install LED Fog lights, really who in the **** puts round fog lights in a modern car, yuk. just my 2 cents.

View attachment 5137 View attachment 5138 View attachment 5139 View attachment 5140
What year is your Chevy Cruze...got a 2012 and wanna install these...just trying to figure out if they will fit a 2012 or not??

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I'm still desiring to do this mod when I finally get my Cruze. Yes, these should fit the 2011-2013 Cruzes. However they are not plug and play the OP has stated. A company by the name of BMC extreme customs, a while back said they were working on making these plug and play for the american cruzes but nothing ever came of it because they were f-ing liars!!! Here is their website... http://www.bmcextremecustoms.net/

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the Smithclub i think they are called taillights. Check out my pics and let me know what you guys think. The tails I have were the exact same thing, you have to redo all the wiring.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Unfortunately no, best bet would be to buy another harness to cut so you don't cut the ones on the car.
Where did you end up buying?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well everyone I dove into installing the mercedes style taillights today and ill finish up tommorrow with the decklid wiring for the square lights . I started around 8 so I could get all my connections figured out and Soldered. Threw outside tailights in to make sure everythings correct and working. Everythings perfect with factory connector off oem tailights spliced into new taillights. But this is where I figured out why the plug n plays havent came out yet and CANT be made. Thats why its taken so long for them to bring them out. The reason is because on oem cruze tailights the reverse light is in the left and right taillights and in the mercedes style tailights the reverse is in the square decklid tailights also the only wires running to the square taillights are a running light wire and a ground wire. The oem cruze square taillights dont have a brake wire or a turn signal wire going to it which you need in the mercedes style lights to complete the bars from big taillight to square taillight. So pretty sure theres no possible way to make plug n play because extra wiring has to be ran from harness u splice up through decklid and to square taillights. So im going to post on all the forums to clear everything up with everyone who wants these because this process is very easy to do and have tons of pics to put a step by step tutorial with pics of every wire and how to run to decklid. Were only talking splicing 5 total wires per outside taillights to the factory connector I cut off oem tailights and then running 6 18g wires (3 on each side) from harness u make to square taillights. Def worth the look you get if thats what you like. I will have a full tutorial with pics on how to make them plug n play and keep the cruze harnesses untouched. if cutting ur oem cruze taillights connectors off for new tailights then you will have to order new ones to use. Hope this helps everyone out thats waiting for plug n play. Even the sequential ones cant be plug n play

·
Registered
130 Posts
So I just installed these on my car and I am having one small issue. The trunk lights will only stay on bright. they wont light on partial running light mode, only full bright brake mode. They are wired up to the same lights as the outside fender lights so they should work the same way, right??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got a set of these today and was like wtf. Contacted the seller and they told me they'd pay to have someone wire them up. Suuure. I'm gonna try using quick splice connectors so I don't have to find factory tail light harnesses and cut and solder. The drivers side tail light has 4 long wires that are for the truck reverse lights so at least they are somewhat easier to wire up.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.