Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is how to install the 2nd shot trunk relay:

I know there is another thread about this but tonight I installed the relay and it is easy once you know exactly what to do and this is how it is done.

1) after buying a 2nd shot relay( I found mine on Ebay for $60 part # 19119267) Can buy from dealer for @100.
2) The relay is in the fuse block inside the car(on top of the block). There are 3 relays. It is the one to the far left.
3) To access the relay is the tricky part. I followed Robby's instructions.There are 2 clips one on either side that hold the fuse block in. Using thumb and middle finger squeeze them together and using index finger pull the top of the relays until it is free. Once free you can access the relays after swiveling the top cover out of the way. The fuse block is held in place by 2 pins on either side that allow it to swivel. I found it easiest to pull the block out to allow me room to pull the relay to the left out. The relay I took out had 3 pins on top parallel and 2 parallel facing the other direction. See pics.
4)Once you replace the relay with your new relay(mine only had 2 pins on top and 2 sideways but once installed it worked fine.
5) Now the part I was afraid of fitting it all back together. It turned out to be no problem. I put the 2 pins back into the slides where they came out of and it all slid back together and the fuse block snapped back into place as if I never took it out.

Once installed, the trunk takes 2 presses of either trunk release. The first one turns on the lights like unlocking the car and the 2nd press actually opens the trunk(hence 2nd shot trunk release). Took about 45 minutes to an hour.

I tried to take pics but it is an awkward position and with my broken shoulder hard to get good shots.

The first 3 and last 3 are the actual fuse block the middle 3 are the old relay I replaced with relay to the far right on the last picture.

I now know from experience, if you did not have it done via warranty, it is not that difficult or expensive to do it yourself. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You take crappy photos just like me hahahaha
Well I know. I made a CYA statement
I tried to take pics but it is an awkward position and with my broken shoulder hard to get good shots.
. I wanted to get better pics but shoulder and position said "No!" Search Google there are good pics of the fuse block on there:GM-Chevrolet-Cruze-Electrical-Fuse-Replacement-Guide-014. This is a good pic of what we have! Either side of the black are the squeeze tabs and below that are the pivot pins. The black relay on top is the trunk relay replaced with the 2 shot relay.

·
10,712 Posts
I been meaning to pull the block for that 12 volt outlet hot 24/7 mod but never figured out how it came out. I have the bent fuse in my console for almost 2 years ago when I almost did it. That angle is crazy and I let it go because the car was too new.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I got my two shot relay for free after showing my dealer a printout from my computer, he didn't even know about this recall. Come to think about it, doesn't know much of anything. Insisted I install it myself, those two plastic tabs do not have any stops, and push a tad too far, will break them off.

Chevy dealer is very good at doing things like this. See that relay is made in the USA, almost had a heart attack when I saw this. But really a stupid modification in my opinion. Only deals with the trunk and deals with the idiot that designed the remote. For zero cost, could have added the delay to the remotes for all the push buttons. GM was doing this before for years.

First cure to this problem is not putting my keys in my pants pocket, used a shirt pocket instead, a counter and a shopping cart with one bump was just at the right height for pushing any button. That remote PCB is dirt cheap to manufacture, this is what they should have changed.

And this is not even a cure, can bump that unlock button just as easy as the trunk. Thinking about switching back to the one shot, that two shot is driving my wife nuts. New idiots created a problem that was never a problem before and came out with a halfass cure. 92 DeVille did not have this problem nor did other GM vehicles we had in the 90's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.