Here to fine tune my original DIY post on fixing the P2076 intake manifold tuning valve issues.
Symptom: CEL is illuminated with code P2076 - intake manifold tuning valve position sensor or switch circuit range / performance
Problem: The lever connecting the tuning motor to the intake manifold has fallen off.
Fix: Remove tuning motor / lever and drill holes to secure with a bolt
What you will need:
- 1/4 ratchet
- About 6” worth of 1/4 extensions
- T27 1/4 drive socket
- 1/4 drill bit
- Cut-off wheel
- 10mm wrench
- 10mm socket
- (1) 1/4 bolt
- (1) 1/4 lock washer
- (2) 1/4 washer
- (1) 1/4 nut
Time: approximately 30 minutes
Repair difficulty 1.5 / 5
For those not familiar with where this arm is located:
This is bolted onto the end of the intake manifold on driver side
- Remove the lever from the top part of manifold, it will just pop off. The bottom part has probably already fallen off but if it has not it will also just pop off like the top
- Remove 3 T27 bolts, the bottom most is the most difficult of the 3
- Push the IMT motor towards the back of the engine and then pull it up and unplug the electrical connector and then you can pull the IMT motor out
- Drill a 1/4” hole into the bottom part of the lever, this is the side that has the knob. I cut the knob off and then drilled from the backside
- On top of the motor arm there is a part where is starts to round off, use the cutoff wheel to cut off the backside to make room for a nut and lock washer. I used a razor blade to cut a line to better show where to cut off
- put 2 washers onto the 1/4” bolt and slide them through the lever and into the IMT motor arm and attach lock washer and nut to secure.
- add blue locktite so the nut doesnt come off over time
- tighten so the bolt is snug but still allows the lever to move. If you over tighten the you will get a code for performance valve is stuck open.
- reverse the steps 1-3 to reinstall IMT motor with lever assembly
Ive been driving with this repair to my cruze for about 10k miles to ensure it does work and the code has not come back since.
If you just want to buy the modified part from me PM me your email and I can get one made up for you.