Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
View attachment 145322 View attachment 145330 View attachment 145338

Did the install today trunk works perfect .. Only issue is the led part does not work .. Like a idiot I wired it to 12v and thing the was a little too much for the led light to handle lol .. Might swap it for a diff switch down the road but removing the whole center console for a second time today was not in the cards haha
It's not exactly where i wanted to mount it but I think it came out ok

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

So i confirmed the LED was only supposed to be 2.8 volts ..... So i gave it that times 10 ...yup i think i blew it ha ha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Merc, it's going to be completely different since the door lock switches are relocated to the doors. The trunk switch itself will likely be wired the same, but where would you relocate the door lock switches on a pre-'15 model?
I've found the lock switch from a RHD model. My intent is to put the RHD lock switch where the airbag inicator is, and the 2015 trunk release where the lock buttons were.

Reactions: Blue Angel

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Just a suggestion, but one could source a trunk release button from a 2010 to 2014 Camaro to use if they want. My trunk release is on the drivers door in the camaro. Thing is, no trunk release back at the trunk. So you have to use the key fob or the door switch.

Ok, as usual I post before I search. Ton of trunk release switches on Amazon to choose from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, as usual I post before I search. Ton of trunk release switches on Amazon to choose from.
An absolute ton of them! Looks like Dorman might be the OEM supplier for GM!

·
Registered
110 Posts
An absolute ton of them! Looks like Dorman might be the OEM supplier for GM!
yes so many , if you do one with LED or light make sure its 12v .. it was a pain to remove center console for a second time just to replace the switch. I ended up using one from ebay because amazon didn't have what i was looking for. The one i have i was able to get a harness for it and it made the wiring so much easier. I used a 19mm momentary LED switch pretty simple 3/4 hole and it perfect.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks good. Where did you source the power.??
Sorry for the delay i have not been on in a while.

I wire tapped the 12v outlet in the center council

that way they light comes on and off when the car is on
although the switch will still work even if the key is out and light is off. But switch will not work if car is in drive and on. But will work if car is on and in park.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So need some help
after this install all was good then one day i realized my actual trunk button didnt work .. i thought prob weather etc.
took to dealer today they install new switch and still dont work ?
my button i installed and the key fob both work fine..
they are being cool about it and just telling me to disconnect my switch then bring it back and they will test further.
Could this install caused issues with the main truck switch?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Just completed this install. Didn't take too long and was at no extra cost. I had some spare wires and a switch laying around. Here's a pic of where I put it. It's sitting on the OBDII port holder. Fairly accessible, out of the way and isn't really a bad place to stick a drill bit through.
20151031_144419.jpg

Happy Halloween everyone!
20151024_180921.jpg
20151031_144419.jpg

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
1970 Buick Riviera had an unidentified yellow switch on the left side of the opened glove compartment that would work at anytime. Four year old son, opened the glove compartment when I was driving at 75 mph and hit that button. Had that pull down motorized latch so when the trunk is opened flies to the wide opened position.

Fortunately, nothing was lost, had to pull over and close it. Don't feel I would have this problem with my grandkids, they have to ride in the back and are tied up like criminals.

04 had a switch on the under left side of the dash, but only would work when the vehicle was completely stopped. Even like at a traffic light.

Must be getting paranoid with all this BS going on today, only time I like opening my trunk is when I am back there, especially if I have anything of value there. Very easy for a passer by to grab something and run even before you know it happens. But then, had a lot of training in determining worse case scenarios, was a very important part of the job, asking constantly, "what if"!

One challenge is keeping that trunk switch working, sealing that rubber protective cover to keep the crap out with marine silicone sealant worked for me. Then you also have the remote, have to keep that working or can't get into your Cruze without sounding off the alarm if you have to use the key.

What if is also history, what if an electric glitch reset all of your code in your Cruze or any vehicle for this matter. With five computer systems, your Cruze won't do anything. Or what if the slightest bit of debris prevented point contact relay closure so you do not no longer have head lamps driving down a narrow dark tree lined road.

They don't ask questions like this anymore and a far as I am concerned, a bunch of idiots. The more you know about vehicles, the more paranoid you get.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just completed this install. Didn't take too long and was at no extra cost. I had some spare wires and a switch laying around. Here's a pic of where I put it. It's sitting on the OBDII port holder. Fairly accessible, out of the way and isn't really a bad place to stick a drill bit through.
View attachment 168322

Happy Halloween everyone!
View attachment 168314
does your trunk button still work after you have this installed ?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Could stay far away from the BCM, in the interior fuse box up on top is the trunk release relay, find the opened contacts and parallel a switch to those. If you don't want to tamper with the vehicle wiring, can solder a couple of wire to the base of the relay and bring those out. Could touch those two wires together like they do in the movies or mount a switch below the head lamp switch.

Just one precaution, will be like my 70 Buick, will work all the time.

Ha, I am getting too old to make modifications like this, instead of training my Cruze to my likes, let it train me. Still like to be by my trunk when I open it.

Sometimes don't have control over your life, had to move quickly, found this place, brand new, but only had a two car garage, last place was a 3 1/2 garage. If the builder only moved this place 5 feet to the west, code wouldn't let me extend it, so poured concrete to the rear and built a one car garage. Didn't want to add a service door to it, used a real garage door with an opener on it, and ran a couple of wires back to my side garage with a switch on it.

But what if we had a power failure? Ha think worse case, so added a regular garage door key with a lever on it, and ran a cable up to the release, works, turn the key can can open the door manually. Though about doing the same thing with my Cruze, has the green lever for a pull point.

They sure got it right with the 04 Cavalier, has a key, and you drop the rear seats from the trunk, at one time with an ice rain, was the only way I could get inside of this thing, but they sure did this all backwards with the Cruze, can only drop the seats from the inside. And with a thief breaking a window that does not set off the alarm that no one pays attention to anyway, can also clean out your trunk. Can't do this with the Cavalier, somebody must have started smoking crack.

Then way face that green lever to the rear, what in the hail were they thinking, only a monkey can get back there to release it. Shoud be facing toward the front.

Its no wonder why we are breaking our brains to modify this thing. But whatever we do, only as good as the battery.

Ha, lets talk about remote entry, Cavalier had that, and that is all we used. We were in a desolate place, no cell phone reception. Accidentally dropped my remote in the water, wouldn't work, but at least if floats. No problem car has key locks on both doors that we haven't use in ages.

When leaving the driver's side lock was frozen, okay, will try the passenger door, also frozen, thank God the trunk key worked, so could drop the seats from the rear, crawl through to release the manual locks. Didn't have those high head restrains like the Cruze has.

With the Cruze, make sure I check that one and only lock frequently with the key, if you don't do this, you will be stranded. No problem with the alarm going off, nobody around to hear it. Sure a lack of thought in the design of this thing.

With a dead battery, frozen one key only, we should be thinking of some kind of a mod to bring the battery cables on it so can hit it with 12V. Or how else would one get into this thing?

Hmmm, haven't checked that one lock for some time now, going to do this right now.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Yeah, was a bit sticky, shot some Liquid Wrench in the key slot, working free now. Also make sure you operate the remote a couple of times, at this time in the morning, will wake up the neighbors and tee them off.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just did the mod today, thanks again for the write up!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts