Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have more skills at wiring/electronics than I do (I can cobble a basic headlight harness and that's about it), what would it take to make the trunk-mounted taillights function as brake lights? We already have a dual-filament bulb in that location, same as the quarter-panel-mounted brake lights. I'd love to have additional brake lights with all the distracted drivers on the roads these days.

Reactions: Ravenkeeper

·
Registered
481 Posts
during the day i dont think that the licence plate light will have any effect considering that they are pointing down and are not pointed towards the car behind you, during the night they will be visible but then again they would be off when your foot is not on the brake, which means you could potentialy get a ticket because the police would not be abel to see your licence plate.

·
Registered
402 Posts
No, I believe sciphi s talking about the portion of our tail lights that are on the trunk lid. If you notice as you're backed up in front of a window, these lights aren't used as brake lights. I think it'd be a great feature to have with all the crazies driving around here. Each day I drive in rush hour is an experience.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
during the day i dont think that the licence plate light will have any effect considering that they are pointing down and are not pointed towards the car behind you, during the night they will be visible but then again they would be off when your foot is not on the brake, which means you could potentialy get a ticket because the police would not be abel to see your licence plate.
Not the license plate lights in the chrome trunk garnish, the red taillights immediately left and right of the chrome garnish. Those could conceivably be used as additional brake lights. They already have a dual-filament bulb in place.

Time to check other forums and see how they've done it. This is an old trick on some boards, but new to the N. American Cruze.

Reactions: Ravenkeeper

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
It would only take one additional wire, but it'd (obviously) have to be routed forward along the side of the trunk up to where the trunk hinge is and then back to the trunk-mounted LAMP on one side and then across to the other LAMP on the other side of the trunk. Of course, this assumes the lamp sockets are already wired to "accept" this additional wire (push-on, solder, etc.).

Ask ER for details.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Courtesy of ElantraClub dot com and the great folks over there who helped direct me to it, here is a writeup on the same thing done on the XD Elantra hatchback: DIY Project 88

That's my inspiration. Given how our CHMSL (3rd/center brake light) is LED and shouldn't draw that much power, running two additional bulbs off it shouldn't be that big an issue. Well, at least to me.

I'll have to yank off the trunk covering tomorrow and see if the bulb sockets already have the necessary socket.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Just checked my Holden CDX Diesel and while the globes have 2 elements they are only tail lights.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turns out it's going to be a bit more complicated than running a few wires.

Parts needed:
1. 3-wire connector for a 3057 bulb that will fit into a Cruze taillight.
2. Connector of some kind (probably a fusible link for safety reasons) for another wire.
3. T-taps to tap off of existing brake light wires.
4. Possibly some wire loom.
5. Probably something else I'm forgetting about.

The good news is that the power wires share a common ground, so grounding is taken care of through the factory harness. I'm assuming factory grounds will be sufficient for 2 additional brake lights.

The bad news is that it appears that each taillight is run off its own harness, so tapping into each side for power might be necessary to avoid overloading a single circuit. I have no issue with this, even though it does mean more connections are needed.

Here's what is currently in the trunk-mounted taillights:

Connector:

In the brake light:

I believe the part number is ZFB-07066-UO.

Right-side taillight connector:

Left-side taillight connector and trunk wiring connector:

A more global shot of the connectors:

So, how would you electronics experts go about this differently than I would? I'm all ears, since electronics/electrical isn't a strong suit for me.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I would strongly consider getting a set of the bulb connectors that are currently used in the actual brake lights and then wiring the second brake light in parallel to the first brake light on each side. Don't wire in series or one bulb out would take them both out.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would strongly consider getting a set of the bulb connectors that are currently used in the actual brake lights and then wiring the second brake light in parallel to the first brake light on each side. Don't wire in series or one bulb out would take them both out.
I thought that's what I indicated. I could have been mistaken, in which case I'll edit my post.

Looking on a GM parts website, the 3-wire connector is not available by itself. So a generic connector will need to be used and wired up. Not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...FWIW, there's a "trick" way to 'splice' into an existing wire without having to cut through or remove the existing insulation. Simply solder the "new" wire to the 'head' end of a sewing straight pin and then push the point of the pin into the existing wire, parallel with the inside wire (do not push the pin thru from side to side so it makes a cross), and then wrap/seal the spot with some decent, long-life, electrical, weather-proof tape.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No rear fogs on North American cars. US DOT regulations frown on rear fogs, so we don't get them. Canada doesn't get them either since their Cruzes are supplied from Lordstown, Ohio, and their regulations are pretty similar to US regulations. It's why US-spec Cruzes have daytime running lights even though DOT regulations leave them optional.

Also, most drivers over here are idiots, and would leave the rear fogs on even during clear weather. The number of cars driving around with foglights on during clear weather is staggering.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I believe that this additional set of lights are used at the rear foglights for my Asian Cruze. Do you guys have rear foglights over there?
No, we do not. A few foreign vehicles sold in the U.S. have rear foglights, but no domestic vehicles that I am aware of have them.

·
Registered
252 Posts
...FWIW, there's a "trick" way to 'splice' into an existing wire without having to cut through or remove the existing insulation. Simply solder the "new" wire to the 'head' end of a sewing straight pin and then push the point of the pin into the existing wire, parallel with the inside wire (do not push the pin thru from side to side so it makes a cross), and then wrap/seal the spot with some decent, long-life, electrical, weather-proof tape.
Maybe it works, but I don't like the sound of it. I see it being a site of resistance and causing issues for both bulbs. Just my take on it.
You could use the older style weather pack connectors and terminals. I get them at Summit Racing. No they are not compact but are cheap and easy to find. You can get them in smaller packs, not just a kit like this.

weatherpack image.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
Why is there a dual fillament bulb there if it's only a tail light?????

1 - 20 of 33 Posts