Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got around to painting the speaker trim to match the rest of the interior. Not a lot of pictures since there is not much to removing it. I just used a small Flat head screw driver and pushed it in-between the speaker and the door panel and it pops right out, there is a single round tab on the passenger side ones and a double tab on the driver side. If you look at the picture you can see them.
Painted Speaker Trim
Finished Click on this link for other threads on removing interior trim How to remove Silver Trim Pieces for Steering Wheel, Speedometer, Dashboard, Shifter

Reactions: boraz and Dragonsys

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
I gotta admit...that pink looks hot =]. I like pink. Don't hate..appreciate lol. So how easy was it to remove those speaker rings without gouging the door panel? I know using a flathead is a good way to damage plastic from past personal experience. Not sure I would use a flathead on mine. Id rather use a butter knife that's plastic or those specialty trim removal tools that are of carbon/plastic/rubber. I would like to paint mine too but not sure how to remove the rings easily without taking off the door panel. I know they will push right out from the backside. If u can help a fellow cruzer out id appreciate it greatly.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you go slow and try a 1/2 inch at a time you will see it just comes right out. I know a screw driver is not the proper way but I was not wanting to pull the door panel apart and tried it first on a rear door near the bottom so if it messed up it was not as noticeable. It came out so easy I was surprised. Also I was using a standard size flat head, not a super small one, not sure if this helped over a smaller one. I have pulled a lot of panels off through the years with a screw driver and am very comfortable using this method, although it might be best to start with a plastic trim remover set.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I know it's been a while but thanks for this. I wasn't sure how to pop the trim ring off around the speaker. My driver side rattles and I was thinking a coat of paint may help.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem glad it helped. If you don't want got paint you could always use a small piece of tape and could get the same result, I prefer painting cause it looks a lot better :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was thinking of matching them to the rest of the silver trim or either redoing all of the trim in red or gloss black to match my red/black interior or busting out some shelf liner for some red/black carbon fiber look.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was not that long, once you got the hang of how things were connected. The paint dried pretty quick and items just go right back in easily. It would have taken alot longer if you had to pull each door panel off to get them off though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice job! What paint did you use?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I first used a plastic primer, then paint, then a clear coat, all were Valspar. Not because of its quality traits or anything else, just the pink they had matched the Vinyl pink on the Chevy emblems. I purchased it from Lowes for like 3.88 a can. Below is a link to the one I bought.[h=3]Valspar 12-oz Pink Burst High-Gloss Spray Paint[/h]

·
Registered
77 Posts
did you find the plastic primer at lowes also? Looking into doing this

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea they sell the valspar plastic primer and clear coat.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm not a big fan of pink, but I gotta say, from the other pictures you have, that the interior looks good done up differently.

Well done AP.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, although I'm not the biggest fan of pink either, I had to keep the wide happy since it is her primary vehicle. Once you do a color change you'll no want to go back to the silver since it looks plain.

·
Registered
490 Posts
AP - that plastic piece that's on the steering wheel, did you remove the steering wheel or paint/vinyl it while it was on the steering wheel??

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
490 Posts
Argh, wasn't looking forward to that. Bought some Pine Green Metallic. Matches the outside of the car perfectly. 24x72 only cost me $16.80. Maybe I'll try it without taking the steering wheel off since I know I'll have extra in case it doesn't work ;)

Green Black Blue Turquoise Aqua

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
...I had to keep the wide happy since it is her primary vehicle.
Yours may be different, but my wife wouldn't be happy if I called her "wide". :)

Nice work on the interior. Informative and very helpful posts, too. Keep it up!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I guess the auto correct spelling knew what I was thinking and not what I meant... I didn't even catch that mistak but I'm glad you did, made me laugh for a moment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.