Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I replaced the master cylinder clutch assembly in the SRT-4. While I was under the car, I noticed a ton of oil dripping. Further inspection shows it's coming from somewhere on the turbo but I can't figure out where or why. There is a heat shield on the top of the engine that shields some turbo stuff including whatever is leaking. There are 5 bolts that hold the shield on and I was able to get off 3. The bolts are really rusted (you know what exhaust bolts look like). I am unable to get the other two bolts off. Not only are they stuck, but they're in very hard to reach places. I think I may have stripped them a bit.

So, how the heck do I get them off? I sprayed them with WD-40, tried to hammer on them a bit to loosen them up but no dice. I thought about heat, but I don't have a torch (I have a pocket torch, but that's about it) and I thought about running the car for a bit and then trying hoping they'd heat up enough to come lose. I've used some stuff before called liquid screw or something that is supposed to work its way into the threads but I don't have any ATM.

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Easy out sockets. Technicians best friend for bolts like those.

Bolt extractor sockets, also known as. Sharp edges that swirl on the inside of the socket. Guarantees removal.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easy out sockets. Technicians best friend for bolts like those.

Bolt extractor sockets, also known as. Sharp edges that swirl on the inside of the socket. Guarantees removal.
I think I have one of those, but I can't get it in there I have to use a wrench :(

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Heat always seemed to work for me. Heads of bolts may even snap off using one of those sockets causing more trouble. Sounds like ya need to run to your local Lowes or Home Depot or any hardware store and get a MAPP gas torch. It will be a yellow cylinder. MAPP gas burns hotter than propane (blue cylinder) so make sure to get yellow. Heat till glowing red hot. Hope ya can get the heat where ya need it and make sure to have a fire extinguisher close bye just in case.

Reactions: Starchy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Heat always seemed to work for me. Heads of bolts may even snap off using one of those sockets causing more trouble. Sounds like ya need to run to your local Lowes or Home Depot or any hardware store and get a MAPP gas torch. It will be a yellow cylinder. MAPP gas burns hotter than propane (blue cylinder) so make sure to get yellow. Heat till glowing red hot. Hope ya can get the heat where ya need it and make sure to have a fire extinguisher close bye just in case.
When i used to work on my old car with my dad heat was his go to solution for everything haha but yes i agree with autumncruze!

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Red hot, no. That's too hot to remove the bolts. Personally I'd rather have the stupid bolt heads break off. It's only two bolts in spots that don't matter on a heat shield.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Alright as long as thats the only purpose of the bolts. Do you have a pic of where these bolts are that u are trying to remove?

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Heat is really the best way, just don't set the oil on fire. also WD-40 is pretty much useless as a penetrant, get some PB blaster, soak it down over night then try heat.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
WD-40 is a good drying agent, not a penetrating oil. Liquid Wrench is supposed to work pretty well for being cheap. If any of your buddies work at an industrial facility, see if they can order you a can or two of Kroil/AeroKroil. That stuff is supposed to be one of the best penetrating oils around.

For right now, I'd get some Liquid Wrench, soak the bolts for a few hours, and then attack it with an easy-out.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
+1 for heat. I struggled to get the exhaust off the Excursion when I stripped it down. 150k salt belt bolts were so rusted on that they had to be red hot in order to break them loose. My grandpa did a front bearing the other day too and had to use heat to get some of the parts off he said.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was able to get them off. Not sure what changed, but i sprayed the crap out of them with WD-40 the other night and today they came right off. No idea why.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was going to suggest WD-40, looks like I was in too late. I love the stuff better than duct- tape! I used it to unstick most mechanical parts/ quiet them temporarily from belts to bolts. :wub:

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
I was going to suggest WD-40, looks like I was in too late. I love the stuff better than duct- tape! I used it to unstick most mechanical parts/ quiet them temporarily from belts to bolts. :wub:
PB Blaster is like WD40 on steroids. Great stuff. Came in very handy working on suspension bolts on old cars.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I've actually seen Duct tape/WD-40 shrink wrap combinations for sale around Christmas time.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well WD-40 isn't a lubricant, it's a cleaner but it's all I had and most of the time it will help loosen up bolts. But yeah, Liquid Wrench or PB-Blaster is what is called for.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Run eng till hot.
Shoog w/Kroil (flammable)

No joy, chill bolt headz w dry ice, burn hazard.
edit: just saw you haduck, ssorry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts