Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

How to replace bowties, NOT the vinyl sticker

32878 Views 26 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Blasirl
Just did this earlier since here in Indiana it was fairly nice out. Pretty simple and basic but I had absolutely no idea how to remove the front one and the way I seen on here to remove the rear was incorrect in my case; so this is why I am posting this, for anyone else wondering. I've searched and did not find another like this. These bowties are similar to the ones on ebay..

What I used:
1) 3/8" drill
2) 17/64" drill bit (Any other similar size will work fine like 1/4 and such.)
3) Flat head screwdriver
4) Smaller scraper
5) Lighter fluid and rags

The stock front AND rear bowties have an acrylic cover then underneath that is the gold/reflective sticker on top of the adhesive. VERY EASY, center the drill and SLOWLY drill. You only want to just pass thru the acrylic, if you go any further the chrome trim around the bowtie will be damaged. The bowtie actually sets inside the chrome trim. There are no clips, bolts, or anything; just adhesive. Here is just a basic picture of where to drill.
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Auto part

Next use a screwdriver that fits inside the hole you just drilled and simply pry it out. It will come out in pieces but come out rather easily. I used a smaller 9oz hammer and tapped the end of the screwdriver at first to get it in there good before the initial pry. Here is another, basic, picture of how the screwdriver is used.
Bumper Metal

After all the plastic is removed it will be filled with adhesive. I used a scraper to remove the majority of it, but if you are limited to just a screwdriver you can make that work. I would not worry about leaving scratches on the chrome since you will be covering it up in a few minutes anyways.

Once you get as much adhesive as you can out, I used lighter fluid but there are other things to use that will work, put some on the tip of the rag and use your finger on the other side of the rag to rub the adhesive completely off. DO NOT GET LIGHTER FLUID ON YOUR PAINT. I have no personal experience but I've heard of it ruining paint.

Next, I would test fit the bowtie you purchased that it does fit the curve of the front bumper and that it fits completely inside the rear trim.

Then, remove the adhesive film cover and press on. I think it's something like 15 lbs of force for 30 seconds, not too sure. Since it was 46°F out, I used a heat gun and warmed it up a fair amount and gave it another firm push just for insurance. A hairdryer also works. And that's all. This post kind off draws out the process, but it took me ~30 minutes. Have fun and I hoped this helped! :th_alc:

Final product:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet Chevrolet cruze
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet cruze Chevrolet

THOSE THAT ARE WANTING SUNK IN EFFECT:
There is a small recessed circle behind the emblem. So if you are wanting to remove the original plastic bowtie and put the vinyl sticker in place of it, giving it the sunk in effect, you will need to fill and smooth out this divot or it will show up behind the sticker. Here is a picture of what will happen. Thank you APCruze for pointing this out.
Vehicle Car Chevrolet Symbol Flag
Reactions: Lowrider
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
2,006 Posts
You got balls drilling into it like that :) Good job, nice write up.

Reactions: bduffey723

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You got balls drilling into it like that :) Good job, nice write up.
Thank you. I have had them for months and back when I did the fog lights I had the entire bumper cover off looking for clips or something holding it on and could not find anything so next thing in my head, rip it off! LOL

· Premium Member
2,006 Posts
I like what you did the with fog light inserts. I've been working on some replacements for mine that will add some style to it. You have any pics of them at night?

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like what you did the with fog light inserts. I've been working on some replacements for mine that will add some style to it. You have any pics of them at night?
I can't remember if I posted any on my other thread about them but here is one in the dark.

Automotive lighting Headlamp Light Vehicle Lighting

· Registered
274 Posts
I've been trying to figure out how to remove the front bowtie without removing the bumper and I'm not sure I'd want to use a drill to remove it! Thanks for the info but I'll stick with the plasti-dip.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been trying to figure out how to remove the front bowtie without removing the bumper and I'm not sure I'd want to use a drill to remove it! Thanks for the info but I'll stick with the plasti-dip.
You only have to drill about 1/8" deep. I have faith in you.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The drill is a good idea! That makes that job easy! I just did the overlays on my wifes for now, but will do this in the future. I also have fog/drl's in waiting not the same design though. I ordered these, (our car is black).

View attachment 13092
It was a hard decision for me between those fogs and the ones I actually bought. I got the other because it has that curve to them that makes it stand out and it has 11 white LED's and 11 blue LED's so with both blue and white plugged in they match closely with the HID's that have a bluish color. Either one looks very nice IMO.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how much light do those led lights put out? Also what bulbs are you using in your head lamps? Looks good!
The HID's are 8000K. From Euro Effects in Portage, IN. They have a website also but if you just go to the store they are about $30 cheaper. As far as specs on the LED's, I'm not sure. I just went back and noticed that they have twice as many LED's per fog light as I stated in my other thread about them. They are very bright though. They light the road up for a couple of feet in front of the car and they are very noticeable when they are on during the day.

· Registered
354 Posts
The HID's are 8000K. From Euro Effects in Portage, IN. They have a website also but if you just go to the store they are about $30 cheaper. As far as specs on the LED's, I'm not sure. I just went back and noticed that they have twice as many LED's per fog light as I stated in my other thread about them. They are very bright though. They light the road up for a couple of feet in front of the car and they are very noticeable when they are on during the day.

Nice! You may just have sold me. Sorry for the off topic posting.

Back to the thread! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice! You may just have sold me. Sorry for the off topic posting.

Back to the thread! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
If you are referring to the fog light LED's, I definitely recommend them. They came down on the price since I purchased them as well.

However, if you are referring to the HID's, shortly after I first put them in I would go to leave work and only one or the other would turn on. I'm not sure if it was the HID's fault or not but after working 14+ hours it's very irritating to happen. It did this for about a week and have worked great since.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am wanting to change the emblems on my car as well. I am just wondering what the ones you used are made of. I have seen some on eBay that are stickers, and some that are aluminum with sticky backs.
As the title says, these are not the stickers. They are billet. They came with adhesive on the backs.

· Registered
274 Posts
As the title says, these are not the stickers. They are billet. They came with adhesive on the backs.
How much are the billet bowties? Where'd u buy them from? Do they sell them to match the cars paint?

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How much are the billet bowties? Where'd u buy them from? Do they sell them to match the cars paint?
I got mine from chevymall.com but after I bought them I found them on CarID for cheaper. The only options I have personally seen are black or chrome. However you can buy them and just paint them whatever color you want. I don't see that being a problem.

· Registered
274 Posts
I got mine from chevymall.com but after I bought them I found them on CarID for cheaper. The only options I have personally seen are black or chrome. However you can buy them and just paint them whatever color you want. I don't see that being a problem.
Chevy mall!!! That website is way over priced!! I'd never buy anything off that site. CARiD is ok. I was just curious if I could find them to match my cars paint...

· Registered
739 Posts
So after I saw your post (and read it was not vinyl overlay) I thought it would good to pull the gold piece out and put the sticker down in for a sunken in look. Instead of drilling a hole I used the old fishing string trick to get the emblem off. I then peeled the sticky tape up and noticed a small hole in the center. I had plenty of vinyl so I laid it down and share enough it didn't look good.

Needless to say I pulled the vinyl out and added a layer ontop the gold piece, (standard overlay) and used some glue to stick it back in. I attached photos so if anyone wants to see a side by side of the sunken in effect, that could be done but needs some smoothing out first.

I think if the time was taken to smooth out the hole it would look great, but for right now I just don't have the time. Bduffy723 I think yours looks great and wish they had it in the pink that my wife wants.

I guess the main point for posting was to let others know that you can do this without drilling, and another option for customizing. (Sunken in)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.