Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How-To: Replace Broken 2011-2016 Cruze Key

Overview:
This tutorial will show you how to replace a broken Gen1 Cruze key. As long as the blade of the key is intact, this tutorial will allow you to replace ANY key damage. Note: you will need to have one functioning key in order to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, refer to special note at the bottom of this tutorial.

Tools Required:
- Small hammer
- 1/16" punch

Note: I used a gunsmithing punch set, but you can use any small hammer and a 1/16" punch. Amazon has a 1/16" punch.

Part Required:
Replacement 4-button OEM Cruze Key (Available on Amazon.com) OR,
Replacement 5-button OEM Cruze Key (Available on Amazon.com)

Procedure:
My Cruze key developed a crack right at the place where the key blade meets the swinging mechanism.

Make sure you have an OEM key for this, as other keys may not work. You do not need to have the blade on the OEM key cut.

Regardless of what damage you have, the process will be the same. Using the punch and hammer, rest the key on a hard surface and tap out the retaining pin holding the key in.

Do the same for the replacement key. You may have to rest the edge of the key on a hard surface for this as it's going to be in there tight. Enough whacks with a punch and it will come out though.

Take the old key blade, place it in the new key body, and drive the retaining pin (from either key) back in. For this, I only had to use the hammer and didn't need the punch.

Programming the new key to your vehicle is easy with two simple steps:
1. Start your car with a spare key and wait a few seconds.
2. Turn off your car. Within 5 seconds of turning it off, insert the new key and start the car.

Turn off the car, and verify that the buttons on the new key work. This one worked for me perfectly on the first try.

Special Note:
If you only ever had one key and you don't have a spare to start your car with, remove the pin as described above and place just the blade of the original key into the car. Hit the open button on both key FOBs so the swing mechanism is open. Use the old key FOB to start the car, then turn it off. Pull the old key FOB off of the key, then place the new key FOB onto the key, and start the car. Remove the key blade using a pair of pliers if it won't come out easily. Then, assemble the original blade to the new key FOB with the retaining pin as described above.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sweet! I was literally just getting ready to go my dealer next week to replace a key that has the exact same crack in it, except they wanted $125 for it.

I don't supposed that all I need to add remote start to my 2011 Cruze LS is get a 5 button FOB (I know that's too easy, just thought I would ask even though I am pretty sure I know the answer)?

Is there any advantage to the 5 button FOB, like the hold to open trunk, or is that purely on the car side?

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet! I was literally just getting ready to go my dealer next week to replace a key that has the exact same crack in it, except they wanted $125 for it.

I don't supposed that all I need to add remote start to my 2011 Cruze LS is get a 5 button FOB (I know that's too easy, just thought I would ask even though I am pretty sure I know the answer)?

Is there any advantage to the 5 button FOB, like the hold to open trunk, or is that purely on the car side?
I'm pretty sure there's more to remote start than just the key fob, and I don't think there's any advantage to the 5-key fob.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't realize the broken piece was the fob. So does the fob work without programming it.
If anyone's key ever breaks, it's most likely going to be the FOB or the body somewhere. The blade itself is solid metal so it's not getting broken. Read the tutorial; you program the new FOB by simply starting your car with your spare key (you should have two), then immediately removing it and starting your car with the new key. The new key FOB will then be ready to use. It's surprisingly simple, and affordable, to fix a broken Cruze key.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,374 Posts
If anyone's key ever breaks, it's most likely going to be the FOB or the body somewhere. The blade itself is solid metal so it's not getting broken. Read the tutorial; you program the new FOB by simply starting your car with your spare key (you should have two), then immediately removing it and starting your car with the new key. The new key FOB will then be ready to use. It's surprisingly simple, and affordable, to fix a broken Cruze key.
My only experience with replacing both the key and fob were with my 2007 Cobalt. The key and the fob needed to be programmed separately. The key was programmed as you stated in the tutorial above (yes I really read it before I posted) and the fob needed to be programmed by the dealer, which I have not done yet. As for my Cruze, I have just purchased and had cut a key without the fob. That had to be cut somewhere that had the correct equipment. It so happened my dealer only charged me $2 and some change to do it.

Hence the questions I asked.

EDIT: The pictures on my iPad were too small to see exactly what was cracked although on the computer I can now see it pretty well.

·
Super Moderator
5,174 Posts
I had a problem with my key tonight. It seems the switch part of the key FOB that holds the key and allows it to go in and out cracked and the blade came out. Is there a way to replace the switch portion of the FOB right now it is super glued back together and I am using my spare key. Good thing this happened at home and I found the blade!!!!! Can a locksmith do this or the dealer. I still have the FOB and the blade.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a porblem with my key tonight. It seems the switch part of the key FOB that holds the key and allows it to go in and out cracked and the blade came out. Is there a way to replace the switch portion of the FOB right now it is super glued back together and I am using my spare key. Good thing this happened at home and I found the blade!!!!! Can a locksmith do this or the dealer. I still have the FOB and the blade.
Pat,

This exact same thing happened to me, and is the exact reason I created this tutorial. Just order a new fob like I did, punch out the old pin, swap the blade, and program the new FOB using the instructions I provided.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great write-up.
I always fold the blade into the body after locking the doors and still managed to have this happen. Bad design I guess. It was so bad, the blade fell out in my hand when I went to release it. Luckily, I caught all the pieces and did not lose anything. I was able to hold it together enough to start the car and make it to my 2nd job OK. Once there, I went the cheap-ass/quicker route and just soldered the blade back in. Seems stronger than stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.