Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice simple writeup. If you buy a used car this is a must do with in the first week. You'll be surprised at how different the air smells.... Carbon filters are amazing at keeping the air smelling good. I recommend changing your cabin air filter every 3 oil changes but each to their own.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
cabin filter is so easy to replace - I love it how simple they made it. our mazda 3 you have to take apart half the dash and move a fuse block and disconnect the battery etc etc etc takes 10 minutes on my cruze :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for this instructional pictorial. I just received my replacement filters and will be replacing them on my daughter's Sonic and my Cruze. Your pictures will be a great help to me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thank you for this instructional pictorial. I just received my replacement filters and will be replacing them on my daughter's Sonic and my Cruze. Your pictures will be a great help to me.
Your welcome glade I can help. I'll put one with the engine air filter next oil change in about a month or so.

·
10,705 Posts
I replaced the cabin the filter before my trip down. At first it seemed to be a challenge but it isn't bad.
How bad did it get? My filters are always dirty on every car I have granted I deal with NEOH as well as NJ and NYC areas. My filter came out looking like this when i changed it.

Nice simple writeup. If you buy a used car this is a must do with in the first week. You'll be surprised at how different the air smells.... Carbon filters are amazing at keeping the air smelling good. I recommend changing your cabin air filter every 3 oil changes but each to their own.
Glad the Lordstown plant actually puts the filters in there. For my model year on the Subaru there wasn't a filter in there when I went to change it for the 1st time. I waited till the pollen dusting stopped before I changed mine. It was pointless to try and change it in mid season just for it to be dirty again real soon. Biggest reminder I have when changing is the pollen will get you even if you change the filter in January with snow on the ground. have whatever meds nearby for this reason.

This is what my Subaru filter looked like after a year, who knows what was not being filtered before that.

cabin filter is so easy to replace - I love it how simple they made it. our mazda 3 you have to take apart half the dash and move a fuse block and disconnect the battery etc etc etc takes 10 minutes on my cruze :)
Your glove box was designed for navigation unit where our american made Mazda 6 wasn't. This made our how to identical to this. My Subaru requires the center console and part of the radio to come out before you can get to the dash panels.

·
10,705 Posts
My oil change place told me the cruze did not have a cabin air filter. Thanks for the info.
With that being said with your 2011, when you open the hood and look down do you see plastic or ground? Reason i ask is the engine shields have been cut and/or replaced because oil shops spill oil onto them rushing the filter change.

·
Administrator
25,372 Posts
My oil change place told me the cruze did not have a cabin air filter. Thanks for the info.
Might be time to find a new oil change place.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just did this. The glovebox is a pretty nice design, it feels very solid and heavy. When I actually took it apart, I was surprised it's all plastic and very light.

Did anybody else have a bunch of cotton wadding-type stuff fall out? I figure my dealer forgot to remove it before they gave me the car.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Just did this. The glovebox is a pretty nice design, it feels very solid and heavy. When I actually took it apart, I was surprised it's all plastic and very light.

Did anybody else have a bunch of cotton wadding-type stuff fall out? I figure my dealer forgot to remove it before they gave me the car.
I don't think so. It's been a couple years since I did it for the first time, but I think I'd remember that.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
When you get a replacement filter double check it has the activated charcoal like OEM. Last time I changed mine somehow I got one that is just a plain filter and while it filters just fine all of a sudden I started noticing all the outside odors that the OEM one must of been doing a great job filtering out. Biggest thing I noticed was running windshield washer fluid, the ammonia or whatever smell typical of them really could be smelled in the cabin briefly where I never noticed it at all really before.

And PS, I didn't have anything fall out when I changed mine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just changed my filter for the first time. It was covered with dried leaves. I figure that when I dragged the old filter out, I inadvertently scraped some of those leaves off and into the duct below. It may be a good idea to have a vacuum running and to lift the top of the housing (once the door is opened) to try to suck some of those leaves out before removing the filter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts